PDA

View Full Version : Where is your Aux Input?

the worm
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
So I know the Aux input is supposed to go to the glove compartment but has anyone else put it in other places. I saw one install that brought it up through the ashtray but it is kind of a pain to pull it through. I was thinking up where the Nav goes (if you don't have it). Any other places people have put them? Just curious....

Woody
12-05-2004, 09:50 AM
I ran mine up through the center console armrest to the top small pocket. I ran it along side the phone craddle wiring. :bigpimp: So you can't see any wires & both of the storage lids can still be opened.

the worm
01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I ran mine up through the center console armrest to the top small pocket. I ran it along side the phone craddle wiring. :bigpimp: So you can't see any wires & both of the storage lids can still be opened.

How do you get to the center console? Did you need any special tools? I tried taking parts some of the parts off to get the gear box exposed but I couldn't find the right type of screwdriver.

harplayr
01-11-2005, 07:03 AM
I ran mine up through the center console armrest to the top small pocket. I ran it along side the phone craddle wiring. :bigpimp: So you can't see any wires & both of the storage lids can still be opened.Where you able to add a power outlet there to keep the Ipod charged up?

sfca-325i
01-11-2005, 10:09 AM
So I know the Aux input is supposed to go to the glove compartment but has anyone else put it in other places. I saw one install that brought it up through the ashtray but it is kind of a pain to pull it through. I was thinking up where the Nav goes (if you don't have it). Any other places people have put them? Just curious....

Mine is installed in the glove box.

Here is a link (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e83/5262341-1.html) to an install where the jack was placed in the storage bin.

Woody
01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Where you able to add a power outlet there to keep the Ipod charged up?

No.
:(

I am going to re do it. I saw a nice set up on the net-I forget where-on a X3. He had used a proclip that attached to the side of the dash-right of the radio & left of glovebox & he had run the aux input to the ashtray & just plugged in a charger into the front ashtray.

I am going to do this too. I am always fumbling with trying to change songs on my ipod when I am driving.

haigha
01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Mine has a splitter behind the nav unit. One fork goes to the glove compartment, the other goes to the top left corner of the cupholder (for my Sirius unit).

SouthernHero
09-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Greetings. I have a 2004 X3 without navigation or CD changer. I've recently installed a DICE iPod kit, and am disappointed (it is acting screwy, and when it does work the text and track / album changing is .... so .... slow.

To hook up my ipod without the DICE kit, how is it done? What parts do I need? Where do I find the aux? I've searched through the other ipod threads but have not found what I'm looking for. Thanks!

x3ronnie
09-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Greetings. I have a 2004 X3 without navigation or CD changer. I've recently installed a DICE iPod kit, and am disappointed (it is acting screwy, and when it does work the text and track / album changing is .... so .... slow.

To hook up my ipod without the DICE kit, how is it done? What parts do I need? Where do I find the aux? I've searched through the other ipod threads but have not found what I'm looking for. Thanks!

You can use the BMW aux input, which can be a DIY. I had it done at the dealer for a less than $100. I had them put it next to the auto climate controls. The normal location on that install would be in the glovebox. There are several install instructions for the BMW aux input here and on X3world. Search around some. This was on an '04. You can also buy an aftermarket aux input that can be connected to the cd changer cables, in the same way that your DICE is. The most expensive way to go would be the BMW iPod adaptor. I have a DICE Silverline, and am not happy with any of the display features. I use it in unlocked mode strictly as an audio connection and iPod charger.

AzNMpower32
09-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Ours is in the glovebox, when my dad paid (too much) for the dealer to do it.

X3-terrestrial
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Mine is in the glovebox...it came already there when I got it.

SouthernHero
09-05-2008, 10:32 AM
You can also buy an aftermarket aux input that can be connected to the cd changer cables, in the same way that your DICE is.

Nice. Can you provide me some links or names of these? The DICE is driving me crazy...

x3ronnie
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Nice. Can you provide me some links or names of these? The DICE is driving me crazy...

Try europeanautosource.com or bavariansoundwerks.com for an aftermarkey aux input OR an OEM aux input. You should have no trouble finding what you're looking for including install instructions.

Supercourse
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM

BMW part no. 82 11 0 149 390 for a 2004 X3 w/o nav & w/o cd changer.

Probably about $40 from your dealer, $33 + s&h online (e.g. bavauto.com).

Verify part no. when ordering.
There is a different part no. ending in 389 or 391 if you have a CD changer/nav. or differnt MY. The part nos. starting with 65 could be different as European-market radios differ in some respects.
With no cd changer, it is a simple plug in to the back of the Business CD (<1 hr. job - 40 mins. planning & prep., 15 mins. to do it)

Steering wheel controls work for volume only, of course. Audio quality is fine as you would expect - there is nothing really being done to the signal, so no surprises or inconsistency. And works with any MP3 player - but BMW customers tend to be Apple customers.
Locating it in the glovebox is likely BMW AG (Munich) thinking where it is assumed the driver would never even consider diverting their attention away from the important business of driving, and that the front-seat passenger is assigned the frivolous tasks. If you don't have such a passenger, locate it either in the dashboard storage tray (preferred for non-nav. people) or the ashtray (diverts your eyes more from the road, but if you need charging capability too, this might sway the decision).

SouthernHero
09-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Supercourse, that is just what I was looking for!

arcticdog
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
On my 2008 X3, the stock AUX location is at the base of the center console facing the rear (under the rear- heated seats controls). I hate this location, not only because it is inconvenient for anyone sitting up front (who generally controls the audio selection - not the rear passengers...) to access it, but because the jack and any cable plugged in is exposed and could be trampled on if there are any rear passengers. Furthermore if you route the aux input cable going between the jack and your MP3 or iPod device along the center console area, it could get snagged by the movement of the power seats if you're not careful with tucking everything in neatly...
I prefer as much of the cables and connections to be concealed, so having the AUX input inside the glovebox or center storage compartment would be preferable.

Separately, I tried the DICE box and that thing kept f***ing up everything. They sent me two different boxes and neither one worked properly with my set-up (Nav & Premium DSP audio...)
I firmly believe that the oem BMW ipod/iPhone USB interface is the best and cleanest solution out there (I had first-hand experience using it in an '08 335ix loaner.) Too bad they don't make it for the current gen X3.

bcorwin
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
just got an '06 650i w/nav and cd changer. The AUX jack is in the glovebox, but after I plug my ipod in how do I access it?
Also the cd changer is missing the disk carrier, is that needed to make the AUX work?

solefald
01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
just got an '06 650i w/nav and cd changer. The AUX jack is in the glovebox, but after I plug my ipod in how do I access it?
Also the cd changer is missing the disk carrier, is that needed to make the AUX work?

Hit Menu button on the radio. That should switch inputs to AUX

Strangely enough my AUX input is in the back on my center armrest, facing the back seat. Rather strange location.

Btw, this sub-forum is for X3 (E83), not 6-series. Congratulations on the car though. I love 6-ers!

Sonoman707
01-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Installed the AUX input in my 2004 - opted to put it in the dash to the right and just above the ashtray. Was out of sight visually when sitting in either front seat.

2008 has it built in to the ashtray in the back of the console/rear seat area.

bcorwin
01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
My AUX is in glovebox, I have a NAV Prof, and do not see a selection of AUX in either Settings/AUDIO, or in Entertainment menu. How do I access my mp3 player?

madurodave
01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
My 2007 came with the AUX port on the rear of the center console. Wiring is all there. Very easy location to install. I use a long cable to connect to my iPhone while in my Magellan windshield cradle. That way I listen to Pandora, Sirius through car speakers and also navigation with TomTom or Navigon apps on my iPhone. I love it!

bcorwin
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
physically finding it is not the issue. Cannot figure out how to tune to it via the NAV menus. Can find selections for FM AM SAT CD, but no AUX

madurodave
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
physically finding it is not the issue. Cannot figure out how to tune to it via the NAV menus. Can find selections for FM AM SAT CD, but no AUX

Probably needs to be reprogrammed so vehicle knows it is there.

Sonoman707
01-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Unfamiliar with the NAV interface. On the Business CD head unit - simply pressing "mode" cycles through all of the input options.

timfitz63
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Probably needs to be reprogrammed so vehicle knows it is there.

Bullseye. The dealer had to do mine twice (the second time "manually") to get the new Business CD radio head they'd installed under warranty to recongnize my AUX input (which is, incidentally, in the back of my center console).

Eric Arrow
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
:)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422080&highlight=

1sttime330
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I do not know if mine is OE or not, in center storage beside cigarette lighter. Son jambed Axuc cable in, and aux jac assembly now in area below storage. How the heck to do I get in there to retreive and reattach? many thanks

fivepointnine
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
mine was in the center armrest (below it actually) I ran the USA SPEC ipod interface (read bad review on the DICE) but used the online DICE instructions, it works awesome, songs change quickly and I get all the text on my business CD and the steering wheel controls work on the IPOD

BUFF Crow
07-21-2011, 06:34 PM
My aux input is in the pseudo ashtray in the back of the console arm rest. there is a power plug and a 3mm aux input. Works fine fine from my iPod.
Buff Crow

chewywso
11-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I ran mine throught the ash tray. Drill a hole through the removable ash tray and the fixed one it sits in. The actual cable is physically attached to the center of ther removable one - making it much easier to tighten the backing screw and install the aux input plate. It looks great and the ash tray compartment cover can remain closed if you use a thin-cable retractable cable for your IPOD. This permits ease of use by yourself, passengers, or others and stowage in the center console.

Blown94conv
11-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Mine is in the back of the center console, and I ran a 6-foot cable to the front dash, and tucked the cable underneath the console. I also have a Kuda mount for the right side of the dash that holds the Ipod with a holder. With my hand on the shifter, you can easily access the Ipod to change songs without taking your eyes off the road.

HilaryEP
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I did the same thing. I ordered the Aux Output part online for like $10. Installed it through the ashtry on my '06 X3 according the post here in the forums. I followed it step by step. That was 2 years ago and it still works great. the only thing I've noticed is the the Aux. Input is highly sensitive, meaning if not plugged/pushed down hard enough I will only get sound through half my speakers. This, I believe, is due to the fact that the ashtray is quite thick where the Aux input lays and the wiring meets. It looks great and I can have the ashtray cover down with the wire plugged in.

tturbonegro
12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
No one else's is in the rear ashtray?
Hate it being open all the time...would like to run it somewhere else so the wire can be more hidden..

lordj
09-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Anybody have a link/vid/pics for a DIY to installing the OEM bmw aux cord into the arm rest? How do I remove everything in the center so I can slip the cord through? Do I need to get under the shifter and basically take the whole center arm rest out? Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Wongway
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
based on someone's DIY here, I got the idea to run the AUX input in to the sunglass holder where Nav would have gone.

I love the spot and it's perfect for me to stick a round disc to mount my own navigation, and later, my phone which doubled as my nav and media player.