PDA

View Full Version : X3 2.5 driving impressions

adc
12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
All,

Yesterday evening after picking up my 330 from the service (SW update) I went in and test-drove a stick X3 2.5. We are thinking of doing a Euro Delivery next June, initially on a 325xiT - but ever since I've found out that the xit ordering will soon dry out, I've been thinking more and more about that X.

I have to confess, I wasn't really counting it as a contender. Too big and heavy, too much of a land whale. In the same spirit of truthful confession, I have to admit I liked it a lot and now firmly believe it would make a great wife mobile.

It is indeed a little slow, but not embarrasingly so, either in town or on the highway. And the extra room if affords makes it really more like a 5 series wagon, but at a 3 series pricepoint. And yes, that is the other interesting thing about it: similarly equipped it costs about the same as a 325xiT. It drives much like a 5 series too, in terms of heft and reflexes - and retains the BMW-ness about it (solid, agile, excellent brakes, little roll or dive, great engine). I was also pleasantly surprised at how quickly the 2.5 engine revs - it seemed almost to have a lighter flywheel than the 3.0 engine...

So I think I'll take my wife tomorrow for a test-drive, and look forward to a Euro trip next year.

On the other hand, if they have some 04 325xiT they absolutely want to get rid of, and make me an offer I can't refuse, I might go for that instead...

Basically I just wanted to say - it's a great car, an excellent choice...

Happy motoring,
adc
03 330 ZHP

PS: Forgot to ask - do manual X3s have the dreaded CDV? I couldn't tell during my short test-drive, I was paying attention to other things. But I had a tough time sometimes to make smooth shifts...

iversonm
12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
PS: Forgot to ask - do manual X3s have the dreaded CDV? I couldn't tell during my short test-drive, I was paying attention to other things. But I had a tough time sometimes to make smooth shifts...

I don't know about the CDV, but my old 325 was a extremely picky when it came to smooth shifts, particularly the 1-2 shift. My new 330 , with the CDV, is 100 times easier.

I can think of two reasons, both of which are likely wrong. But hey, this is the internet! I don't have to be qualified to express my opinion.

1. The final drive ratio is much higher in the 325 to get acceleration. This means you shift at higher RPM's in general, leading to jerky shifts.

2. The extra torque makes the bad man stop.

oldefarms
12-04-2004, 03:39 AM
All,

Yesterday evening after picking up my 330 from the service (SW update) I went in and test-drove a stick X3 2.5. We are thinking of doing a Euro Delivery next June, initially on a 325xiT - but ever since I've found out that the xit ordering will soon dry out, I've been thinking more and more about that X.

I have to confess, I wasn't really counting it as a contender. Too big and heavy, too much of a land whale. In the same spirit of truthful confession, I have to admit I liked it a lot and now firmly believe it would make a great wife mobile.

It is indeed a little slow, but not embarrasingly so, either in town or on the highway. And the extra room if affords makes it really more like a 5 series wagon, but at a 3 series pricepoint. And yes, that is the other interesting thing about it: similarly equipped it costs about the same as a 325xiT. It drives much like a 5 series too, in terms of heft and reflexes - and retains the BMW-ness about it (solid, agile, excellent brakes, little roll or dive, great engine). I was also pleasantly surprised at how quickly the 2.5 engine revs - it seemed almost to have a lighter flywheel than the 3.0 engine...

So I think I'll take my wife tomorrow for a test-drive, and look forward to a Euro trip next year.

On the other hand, if they have some 04 325xiT they absolutely want to get rid of, and make me an offer I can't refuse, I might go for that instead...

Basically I just wanted to say - it's a great car, an excellent choice...

Happy motoring,
adc
03 330 ZHP

Did you make up your mind ?
I went through the same thought process last summer....I opted for the wagon !
What were your thoughts in driving both the wagon and the X3 ?
Send some SNOW to New Hampshire so I can go Skiing.
Thanks

adc
12-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Did you make up your mind ?
I went through the same thought process last summer....I opted for the wagon !
What were your thoughts in driving both the wagon and the X3 ?
Thanks

Well I think the wagon is - handling and power wise - sort of midway between my 330 and the X3. It's definitely faster and more nimble, but also smaller. I noticed - and hope it is not my imagination - that the X3 is a little wider on the inside, taller and with more legroom.

Like I said, the perfect wife mobile (she currently drives an A4 Quattro).

We are going to the dealer so my wife can test drive both of them, see what she likes. But if they stop producing the wagon, the only way we're going to get one is if they make us a shameful offer for something they have on the lot. Problem is, we want some very specific items in the wagon that may be difficult to locate.

This morning my wife read the article in Bimmer Magazine with the comparo against the Forrester 2.5XT, so now she's excited about the X3. :)

I'll keep you guys posted,

adc

spydrz
12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
I believe all BMWs have the CDV :cry: