PDA

View Full Version : leather conditioner

mpomiki
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
I have been using Lexol to treat my leather seats but I'm wondering if anyone knows of something better.
Mike

MMME30W
12-03-2004, 08:26 PM
:hi: and welcome to the fest.

Yes. Lexol I find greasy IMHO. I got some Pinnacle and its very nice, leaves a good smoothe matte finish. And it smells nice :gay: j/k

mandms7
12-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Meguiars has some new leather cleaner and conditioner that doesn't feel greasy and smells pretty good (at least the conditioner does). Its called Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner and Conditioner (2 separate bottles).

RSPDiver
12-03-2004, 09:01 PM
I've heard a lot of positive comments about Spineybeck (sp?) products, available at LeatherZ.com. Might want to check them out.

3Aims
12-03-2004, 09:21 PM
i use armor all leather wipes. no grease. no residue.

The Roadstergal
12-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Lexol makes leather plasticky over time. Trust the LeatherZ guys, they know their caca:

<a target=0 href=http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm>http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm</a>

Technic
12-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I've heard a lot of positive comments about Spineybeck (sp?) products, available at LeatherZ.com. Might want to check them out.

I just bought that kit and it is an extremely impressive product. I used to use Lexol and, honestly, there is no comparison. Spinneybeck leaves the leather looking, feeling and smelling brand new in a single treatment. :thumbup:

machmeter
12-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Recently had my car detailed and they used Zymol on the leather. It smelled totally noxious for weeks! Had to drive around with the windows open. Gag! Otherwise, it left the leather in fairly nice condition.

gojira-san
12-04-2004, 05:15 PM
I like using Leatherique. It is probably more involved to use since it is a 2 step process, but it took my used 528's leather from cardboard when I bought it to supple and smelling like leather again. I started using it years ago on a Jaguar I had and have used it ever since.

beowulf777
12-04-2004, 08:40 PM
I use Zaino's leather cleaner and conditioner. I switched from Lexol and I prefer it.

I believe the application is easier and I like the smell of the Zaino product better.

F1Crazy
12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
One product that is not mentioned very often but impressed me recently is Einszett Lederpflege. Thanks to Propellerhead who let me use his stash of 1Z products I had a chance to test it against Zaino Z10 and the results were surprising. The finish Lederpflege left was not greasy, completely dry to touch and it maintained natural look of leather, Z10 made it a bit darker in comparison. I applied Z10 to front seats and Lederpflege to back seat and after a few days there was a very noticeable difference in softness of the leather with back seats feeling very soft, softer than when the car was new. Z10 smells better IMO, it just smells like leather but smell of Lederpflege is fresh and I like it.
Z10 was my product of choice but once I run out I'm going to give Lederpflege a try.

oarnura
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
I just bought some leather cleaner and conditioner from the dealer. The guy suggested Lexol ph cleaner and connolly hide care for conditioning. He said connolly is what they use and it is better than lexol.

It seems that people are not happy with lexol as a conditioner, from searching the 'fest. How is the lexol cleaner?
Any opinion on connolly hide care?

I searched and found one thread and three posts in total on connolly. My research online reveals that all the top luxury car makers use connolly leather.

I haven't used it yet. My car is only 2 months old. How often does leather need conditoning. This is my first car with leather interior. Should I return them and get something else?

Thanks.

jmillet
12-05-2004, 04:23 PM
I just bought some leather cleaner and conditioner from the dealer. The guy suggested Lexol ph cleaner and connolly hide care for conditioning. He said connolly is what they use and it is better than lexol.

It seems that people are not happy with lexol as a conditioner, from searching the 'fest. How is the lexol cleaner?
Any opinion on connolly hide care?

I searched and found one thread and three posts in total on connolly. My research online reveals that all the top luxury car makers use connolly leather.

I haven't used it yet. My car is only 2 months old. How often does leather need conditoning. This is my first car with leather interior. Should I return them and get something else?

Thanks.

I've used Connolly Hide Food on my Bimmer leather for the last couple of years with outstanding results. It's a PITA to apply, but the results are worth the effort. I first vacuum and brush out all the seams and then wash the leather with either Ivory soap or Lexol cleaner (take your pick). The Hide Food needs heat to be applied properly. I use my wife's big blaster hair dryer (I'm dead meat if she finds out) to pre-heat the leather as well as melt and soak the Hide Food into the leather pores while massaging the leather with my fingers. Sounds erotic, but it's just messy. Let the Hide Food rest over-night and then wipe leather down with a clean lint-free cotton or microfiber towel.
I perform this ritual twice a year.