PDA

View Full Version : 1997 528i Vibration

84alfaman
12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
I've been having a problem with a vibration on my 528. I have brand new tires and have had them road force balanced. Nevertheless, I still have a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It is most noticeable from 45-55 mph when the car is cold and improves as the car warms. However, the vibration never completely goes away. I feel both some shaking of the wheel and seat vibration.

Does anyone have any ideas? The tire store says the tires and wheels are good. What else should I look into?

bim530mer
12-04-2004, 10:01 PM
alfaman,

I have the same terrible thing in my car though mine is 2003. From what I read around it could be one of :

1- Rotors and rims tightening force not to BMW standard
2- Bad bushings for thrust arm
3- Flat spot
I really wouldn't trust the first point if the rim were fit in a star manner (the way you tighten the bolts). The second is valid for front not rear shimmy. The third is valid and should be gone completely after warming up.

I still have the same problem and the dealer is trying to pull my leg to change two rims. Although the shimmy is increasing with days I can feel it first up to 55 now up to 70.

I will try to deal with it this week and see what I get.. Please tell me what you get..

jaguar_wsc
12-05-2004, 06:42 AM
yea i got the same problem. its getting worse as i let it go.

bim530mer
12-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi,
I went yesterday to the Perrilis and they re-balanced my rims. The truth is, I had two bent rims at the front causing the shimmy and vibration in the steering wheel. They moved them to the back and the shimmy is gone from the front at least. I can still feel the shimmy coming from the back through the floor and the seats of the car at 70+. What a pitty that those OEM rims get bent easily :thumbdwn: