PDA

View Full Version : F^$%&! Birds pelt freshly-detailed car

mjames
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I need to vent. Let me first say that I'm in college so I am forced to park my baby outside. :tsk: There is no way for me to live in a dorm and not park outside -- there is a parking garage nearby, but it isn't for on-campus residents. And having a car is a must.

Just got back from the car wash and some errands. Spend a good 45 minutes cleaning her at one of those do-it-yourself car washes (bought a lambskin wash mitt and use a water blade and microfiber towels). Arrive back at the dorm, I park my gleaming car in a normal spot not under any trees or anything, and I when I come back out a couple hours later (if that), my car is PELTED with bird crap. I counted SIX spots on the windshield alone, as well as all over the top of the car, sides, and back -- they did a fine job, indeed.

:mad:

The problem is I have this almost every time I go to my car -- I can't get away from it! I'm somewhat a perfectionist and this is driving me literally insane. I've already forced myself to be less picky with cleaning her (I don't have the luxury of vacuuming her as often as I did at home, for example), but one thing I will never be able to tolerate is bird crap. That will permanently ruin her finish.

Granted, I have all my washing supplies in my trunk -- towels, QD, bird s##t remover from Poor Boy's (http://www.poorboysworld.com/bird-sht-remover.htm) -- it seems to work quite well, but I worry if it will hurt my finish. Do I have anything to worry about and is there anything I can do to avoid bird droppings? Any strategic suggestions or experiences? Are birds particularly bad at this time of the year or something? I'm living in the Eastern U.S., Lexington, KY.

I may just move into an apartment so I can get covered parking. :bawling:

mjames
12-04-2004, 10:05 PM
No, I never do. It never seems to matter where I park, I always get pelted.

JAWJr
12-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Try a cover? I know they scratch the paint if your car has dust on it- but it sounds like this happens to you after it's washed. So cover it, for peace of mind.

~Jon

Fifty_Cent
12-05-2004, 08:16 AM
I may just move into an apartment so I can get covered parking. :bawling:
Do that. BMW's dont belong in the street, no matter what country you live in.
Paint is really sensitive, metallic or not.

I ordered the following items for my car to keep it in shiny nick:

1. KLASSE ALL IN ONE.
2. KLASSE GLAZE.
3. P21S

I am going to apply them as soon as they arrive.
Just for peace of mind.

Regarding the car cover, only use it with a clean car, and only if your area does not have lots of dust and sand.

I was using a car cover, and I have noticed that after 2-3 days the sand was penetrating under the cover from the wind ( I have a covered parking but not secure) causing swirl marks.

Weaselboy
12-05-2004, 09:47 AM
:dunno:

Plaz
12-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Could be worse.

http://thepolywog.com/copshootcop/photoalbum/images/poop_car.jpg

mjames
12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I might just have to go with an apartment next year. As for a car cover, it would look a bit ... weird ... considering no other car anywhere around uses it. Fact is, most of the cars here are beaters people don't care about. I might just go to a college near my home in NoVa so I can get covered parking at home. :)

Just needed to vent last night. I always thought bird droppings were an occasional thing, but they are so freakin' prevalent here, almost every day I will have something on the car.

alpinewhite325i
12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Just got back from Wal Mart and saw a late model Toyota Corolla absolutley covered with bird crap. I always wondered what type of person would let their car get like that. Well, just as I was leaving, the owner of the car came out. Let's just say, the owner needed a bath more than the car did. :yikes: :eek: :thumbdwn:

Warot
12-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Could be worse.

http://thepolywog.com/copshootcop/photoalbum/images/poop_car.jpg

WTF?????????????????!!!!!!! :yikes: :wow: :loco: : puke:

mwagner1
12-06-2004, 08:41 AM
I pity your plight!!! One of my former students drives an older 325i and it is his pride and joy. He goes to UT-Austin and has to deal with this all the time (UT-Austin has a terrible Grackel population). I have driven through campus and seen cars that were white from bird poopie, and the only way I could tell the car's color was by looking right above the wheel wells. : puke:

My former student finally got his own apartment, and yes, he still uses his car cover in the apartment's parking apartment, as the Grackel population has spread to the areas surrounding the university.

If you move to an apartment, I would not hesitate to use a cover, even if all of the other cars are junkers.

Cheers,

Mark in Austin