PDA

View Full Version : key programming... formated ;-(

bim530mer
12-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi..
I did yesterday like in x5world, holding the unlock and then pressing the lock three times and my keys got earased (the thread was to program the keys)... The keys now are useless can't lock/unlock the car..

anyway around that without having to go to the dealer...

M.Wong
12-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Did you do the entire procedure?

Link to another post with instructions: http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8043
1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.
If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

Do you have several keys? You have to reinitialize them all, quickly.

I have three masters and the order in which I program them might matter. You may want to try the procedure using key #1 then key #2, and if that does not work, key #2 then key #1...

Why did you have to initialize the keys in the first place? Did you get a new one? Did you change batteries?

How old or what condition is your vehicle battery?

How is the condition of your key batteries? (Any time you post tech questions, year of the car -along with model and in some cases, miles- is helpful.) If your car is a year that had replacement batteries in the key, it's best to start with all new batteries.

Which one does yours look like?
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/f0/c2/21_1_b.JPG

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/f0/8c/cb_1_b.JPG
(Photos taken off e-bay)

bim530mer
12-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi,
Thanks body. But I need to try this later.. I did the same thing but the door lucks didn't give the sign... My car is 2003 and the keys are just fine.. but did that out of curiousity ...

If that's really technical, where should the second key be? And what are you really programming.. Cuz what I hear that you can program each to some different settings, then how do you accomplish that?

M.Wong
12-05-2004, 12:22 AM
When you initialize keys, they learn new randomly selected security "code words" asigned by the car's system. Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they lose recognition and you then have to do this again. Key initialization is not the same as the Car Memory and Key Memory features.

Those are set up by your dealer. I have one key with the seats and mirrors where I need them, and the second key has my wife's settings. (FYI, a third master key does not work, or at least, my E38 has trouble with the third one's settings.)

Here are the options from e38.org:
Car Memory and Key Memory (http://www.e38.org/E38-Options.pdf)

Hope that clears things up... :)

bim530mer
12-05-2004, 01:39 AM
So you are saying that I am not loosing whatsoever stored in the key memory, I am just out of sync with the car and just need reinitialization. Is this correct?

M.Wong
12-05-2004, 01:47 AM
If your key memory worked before, then that is correct.

When you get the keys reinitialized, the key memory should be fine.

bim530mer
12-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Thanks body... But you still didn't answer where should the second key be?

1Dreamer
12-05-2004, 08:37 AM
If you still have problems, try turning the ignition on/off again as the very last step. It supposedly finalizes the initialization process. Some people seem to have success without doing this, but I suggested it to someone else who was having problems and he said the doors didn't give the sign during the process, but it worked in the end. I'm guessing the doors didn't give the sign because his car required this final step before the keys were initialized, but not sure. He also said he said it took him 3 times. Timing (doing each step one right after the other) is really important.

Not sure what you mean when asking what you should do with the second key, but to repeat the steps . . . . .

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, hold down the "unlock" button and press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You might or might not get the sign.)

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized (if you have more).

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

Hope it works!

M.Wong
12-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Not sure what you mean when asking what you should do with the second key, but to repeat the steps . . . . . I also don't understand this question... have both keys with you when you do the process... ?

bim530mer
12-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys,
I tried again yesterday being extra quick this time did it and gave the sign ... It seems also that the trick of holding it almost to my left shoulder is there...

It's an extra effort opening the car with the keys :)

M.Wong
12-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Glad to hear!

swat253
03-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I tried a similar sequence yesterday without any luck, so I took the non-working spare key to the dealership this a.m. and had it recoded... however, I didn't take the "working" key as it was on my daughter's keyring with lots of dangling stuff on it.

I watched the tech perform this sequence:

Key in ignition
On and off five times - quickly
Removed key - held at shifter level
Pressed Unlock button and held while pushing lock buttons 3 times
Doors signalled confirmation
REPEATED ENTIRE SEQUENCE
Turned ignition on to finalize

This process voided the key that I didn't have me, so if you have two keys, as mentioned above, you may need to repeat for each key within required time to keep code between keys.

2002 325Ci

redbeemer
04-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Does all this mean that I can theoretically take any BMW key (for hypothetical example my neighbors BMW key) and program it for my BMW following this sequence?

CheapCheap1
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Does all this mean that I can theoretically take any BMW key (for hypothetical example my neighbors BMW key) and program it for my BMW following this sequence?
Nope, each keys has a different key pattern. Don't even think about reprogram your neighbor key on your car...'cuz it will screwed up both your neighbor key & yours.

I did it this morning, on a '95 540i just inheritaged from my friend...he told me to get a new battery. Well, I when I pressed the buttons, the LED was lid up.

So, I gave it a try (also, it has been mentioned in the manual)...yeah, it's working!!!

Here what I did...got in the car & close the door (didn't locked the door)...
1) sticked the key in
2) turned the key to position 1 & turned it off (in 5 sec.)
3) yanked the key out & moved it very close to the stem of the rearview mirror (for my car)
4) held the unlock button & simultaneously pressed the lock button 3 times
5) released the unlock button
6) waited about 10 sec. Kept holding the key close & pointed it to the rearview mirror, do nothing...
7) central lock responded by locked & unlocked the door
8) that's it...my key is working OK

Happy bimmering,
CC1

CheapCheap1
04-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Hello,
Could someone pls let me know where is the place I can a blank remote key? Also, how much do I (expect) to pay?

Huhhh...the cheaper is the better (just see my call-sign. :D).

Happy bimmering,
CC1

ifast330ci
04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
hi guys well i need some help i have a 2001 330ci that i got about a month ago and i only have one key and it just stop working it wont lock & unlock the doors or start the car i tried to program the key with the post thats on here but it still dont work any ideas

CheapCheap1
04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
hi guys well i need some help i have a 2001 330ci that i got about a month ago and i only have one key and it just stop working it wont lock & unlock the doors or start the car i tried to program the key with the post thats on here but it still dont work any ideas
Pls check the batteries (2 of them) inside the remote key. You will need to open it by a small phillip head driver. (Or, just check if the led is on when you press the button.)
Good luck,
CC1

penya05
10-06-2005, 06:41 AM
i have only one key for my 323ic and i put a starter on it.
can i use a 00 232ci key and program it to my car
the only key i have is the gray key.
what can i do
i called bmw and they said i have to buy a key from them because there are 10 keys made to each bmw and you can not program a key.

WWJoeDrive?
01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey - used these instructions to reprogram both keys for my '99 540i. Worked perfectly, with a little adjustment. Wanted to thank everyone for saving me $250. My dealer wanted $125 EACH, and 2 hours with my car, to do something which took all of 8 minutes (maybe).

Wanted to restate the programming instructions with one more piece of info:

1: Cycle Ignition. Turn key on, and wait for all the lights to go out before turning ignition off. Perform next steps within 30 seconds.

2: Press and hold the unlock button. Red LED on remote will flash twice, and then go to steady-blink mode.

3: When you get to steady blink mode (and still holding the unlock button!), press and release the LOCK button three times. Do this deliberately, not too quickly.

4: Release the unlock button. Car's locks should cycle, indicating the key is programmed.

5: Repeat steps 2-4 for the other key.

6: Cycle ignition again - I don't know if this is required, but I did it just to be sure.

This was so easy. I really hate my closest dealer. They also told me they wanted $475 to replace the rear window regulator (for labor ONLY). This took me all of 45 minutes (and a can of Guiness)...

MPATH
01-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey - used these instructions to reprogram both keys for my '99 540i. Worked perfectly, with a little adjustment. Wanted to thank everyone for saving me $250. My dealer wanted $125 EACH, and 2 hours with my car, to do something which took all of 8 minutes (maybe).

Wanted to restate the programming instructions with one more piece of info:

1: Cycle Ignition. Turn key on, and wait for all the lights to go out before turning ignition off. Perform next steps within 30 seconds.

2: Press and hold the unlock button. Red LED on remote will flash twice, and then go to steady-blink mode.

3: When you get to steady blink mode (and still holding the unlock button!), press and release the LOCK button three times. Do this deliberately, not too quickly.

4: Release the unlock button. Car's locks should cycle, indicating the key is programmed.

5: Repeat steps 2-4 for the other key.

6: Cycle ignition again - I don't know if this is required, but I did it just to be sure.

This was so easy. I really hate my closest dealer. They also told me they wanted $475 to replace the rear window regulator (for labor ONLY). This took me all of 45 minutes (and a can of Guiness)...

Newbie here. Just bought a 99 540iT, with two new master keys. Tried all the aforesaid procedures, but only the above worked. Thanks for that! (BTW, keys dealer cost were $110 per)

psychop
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM

No, because apart from the "rolling" part of code that can be synced, the key is
also sending a fixed part of the code which can not be changed and has to match
the EWS module.

kbad
01-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I have a 94 E34 540i great car except the remote entry (fat black rubber 3 button) mfg date 9/93 and must have the type of alarm built into the GM since I do not have either type of unit that most show pix of under the rear seat. Owned the car for 4yrs and the remote entry was alway hit or miss. The alarm works perfect using the door lock...the convienece feature works from the door too...but never did remotely nor did the remote courtesy light . Took it to the stealer a while back and $400 later had a new RF rearview mirror + new key...didn't really seem to fix it and then it totally quit working...sometimes it would work but had to be right at the windshield(almost as if the key batt was dying) moved away and never went back to the stealer. Just joined this site so I am a newbie and have searched all threads about this problem and also to reprogram my key etc tried every technique several times but still no luck. I refuse to go back to a stealer so any ideas would be appreciated!

GonktheBonk
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Hello all,
I have just recently bought a 1997 320i 6 cyl 2l and noticed that the remote lock signal from the key button was weak. (Worked still though)
Easy, I thought and promptly went to get new batteries.
Having replaced them I tried it out on the car. (unfortunately the battery was out for much longer than a minute)
It stopped working.
I have tried out all of the methods mentioned here, and none works.
I can put the key into some sort of learn mode by pressing and holding 1 button and pressing the other 3 times. The LED blinks 10 or so times and stops.
The Key I have has 2 rubber buttons and what looks like an Infra red transmitter LED on the key side. (not sure what it is, could just be an LED)
No problem unlocking and starting the car with the actual key part.
Any more ideas on how I can get this working.
I am a DIY type guy and start frothing at the mouth at the thought of paying for basic stuff like this.
Cheers

Adonis
05-04-2006, 09:07 AM
You cannot "program" the keys yourself. And yes there are only ten keys made per car. I don't know what happens if you go over the ten, but my dealership informed me that I had 4 keys left to duplicate on this car! And unfortunately because of encryprtion the keys cannot be duplicated by a third party. I had a custom shop try this and it disabled the original key. Which never worked again by the way!
This procedure worked for me when I got the new keys.

Link to another post with instructions: http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8043
2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this). (This didn't really matter for me)
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors will lock & unlock
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 and key#3. Or do each one one at a time, it doesn't matter.

You have to do each key one after the other really quickly. And of course you will have to reset your seat and heater settings. Lastly per my dealership the car can only stor three keys at a time, and just erases the first key if you try to store 4!.:eeps: Now I have two Masters and a Valet just in case! No thats wrong I have three masters, One is in the remote start bypass box.

Wagons
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this). (This didn't really matter for me)
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors will lock & unlock
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 and key#3. Or do each one one at a time, it doesn't matter.

This is what worked today, for my 2000 540iT with two master keys with the 'rechargable battery' in them.

Thanks.

spiker322
06-16-2006, 12:17 PM
In the thread about the guy who got his car stolen, someone said that they would have gotten the dealer to reprogram the car. Is this possible? And also, does that mean that you can get different keys? I have a '98 528 and HATE how huge the key is. If I could get it reprogrammed, could I get a different key?

keithisjonesn
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
My key stopped locking and unlocking my doors and I tried all of the below "fixes" but M. Wong's post was the only one that worked. The trick was the "near your left shoulder". I tried it in my lap and over the shifter but it never worked. Thanks M. Wong!

3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

aiwapro
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Who cut you alls keys? I have a 99' 528i with the rubberish look, and I want the new key with the blue and white logo in the middle of the handle part. I found the keys on eBay with the same FCC ID as mine, so would this work?

What does the dealer charge for these services, as I would like to do this myself, but I currently only have one key, and don't want to stop it from working.

LW
06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi. I have just bought a 2002 BWM 316i (1895cc, E46). I have had the car for about a month and all is well. Yesterday the automatic door open/close remote stopped working. Obviously I can still open/close the car by sticking the key in the door but I am really too lazy to do that. I have read this forum and none of the methods are working. I contact a local BMW dealer and they want 150 to fix it after I have ordered new key from Germany (no idea what that will cost). I really don't want to pay them to do this. Any suggestions?? I have only one key. Thanks!

1Dreamer
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi. I have just bought a 2002 BWM 316i (1895cc, E46). I have had the car for about a month and all is well. Yesterday the automatic door open/close remote stopped working. Obviously I can still open/close the car by sticking the key in the door but I am really too lazy to do that. I have read this forum and none of the methods are working. I contact a local BMW dealer and they want 150 to fix it after I have ordered new key from Germany (no idea what that will cost). I really don't want to pay them to do this. Any suggestions?? I have only one key. Thanks!My only suggestion would be to keep trying using M. Wong's method. The dealer doesn't have a magic formula and will use the exact method described here. I've seen them do it. Just pay very close attention to the timing. That's where most people screw up. If you don't do it all in the proper sequence in under 30 seconds, it's not going to work.

ian20x
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Who cut you alls keys? I have a 99' 528i with the rubberish look, and I want the new key with the blue and white logo in the middle of the handle part. I found the keys on eBay with the same FCC ID as mine, so would this work?

What does the dealer charge for these services, as I would like to do this myself, but I currently only have one key, and don't want to stop it from working.

Did you ever find anyone other that the dealership who can cut keys?

salt
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
hi
i have bmw 525i 2001 the key that i have is lock/unlock the car but it stopped starting the engine they told me it need reprogramming is this method work with my case ?? please help
i have one key

dvsgene
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
hi
i have bmw 525i 2001 the key that i have is lock/unlock the car but it stopped starting the engine they told me it need reprogramming is this method work with my case ?? please help
i have one key

First check the battery to see if it is weak. Does the red led on the key light up brightly? If not, maybe you need a new battery. Perhaps rather than asking if it will work on your particular case, give it a try. Worse comes to worse, you report that is doesn't work after 3-4 attempts. However, by attempting it and it not working, I don't think you'll be any worse off than you are right now.

pish180
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Seriously Though were do you get them cut at? I know the machine is called a sidewinder (Secure . And all the locksmiths and locksmith manauals are saying no they need a code to cut it. The machine apparently costs around 22,000$. I have called around 8 locksmiths now. They are closing up now, I will try some more tomorrow, but they keep telling me something about a security code. And the securty code is what you get when you program the key correct? Also If I need this key code... where can I find mine at?

FYI: I bought the blank key on ebay.

Thanks,
Brian

dvsgene
01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Seriously Though were do you get them cut at? I know the machine is called a sidewinder (Secure . And all the locksmiths and locksmith manauals are saying no they need a code to cut it. The machine apparently costs around 22,000$. I have called around 8 locksmiths now. They are closing up now, I will try some more tomorrow, but they keep telling me something about a security code. And the securty code is what you get when you program the key correct? Also If I need this key code... where can I find mine at?

Thanks,
Brian

As far as I know the ONLY place to cut the key is through BMW headquarters in NJ. Not only does the key need to be physically cut, the transponder in the key that communicates with the ignition needs to be programmed into the chip. Not sure ANY locksmith does. IF they do, I'd be very surprised!

This is BMW's method of controlling theft of cars by limiting the ability of locksmiths to cut keys for anyone. BMW dealers are required to check the ID of anyone requesting keys and photocopy the ID for their records as another prevention of unauthorized duplication.

So it looks like you may have to take that blank to the dealer to send to NJ headquarters to be cut. Not sure if the charge will be any different than them selling you a key cut already.

But for a sidewinder system you might want to try this guy.

http://home.mchsi.com/~loxmout/

I think you may have meant $2,200 for the Sidewinder not $22,000 as seen for sale here:

http://www.jmlock.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=282

Let us know if he can, I am sure others would be interested to see if this is possible.

pish180
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I feel like its a secret and everyone is keeping it from me or something...

I called another BMW dealer in a completely differ state and got the same exact explination. So it looks like you have to get the key made by BMW. And they need your drivers license and title. Cost around 178$ for a new key within 2 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150209184655&rd=1

The seller has tons of positive feedback... and is selling these keys. I dont understand.

dvsgene
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I feel like its a secret and everyone is keeping it from me or something...

I called another BMW dealer in a completely differ state and got the same exact explination. So it looks like you have to get the key made by BMW. And they need your drivers license and title. Cost around 178$ for a new key within 2 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150209184655&rd=1

The seller has tons of positive feedback... and is selling these keys. I dont understand.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. However, I have an observation:

When buying off Ebay, one should understand what they are buying before the bid on it. Based on your questions, I am not sure you fully understood what you were buying. Therefore, you should have asked the seller before placing the bid. However, it looks like you already bid and paid and received. I looked at the auction you link and I notice two things:

"Programming:
We will provide FREE programming instructions with this remote. These instructions will allow you to easily program the remote to your vehicle with no special tools. You will need one working key to complete this procedure. Once programmed, if your vehicle is fitted with an immobolizer this must be paired with your vehicle by your dealer or an automotive locksmith. If you need help finding one in your city we can provide this information. "

This does not say anything about CUTTING the key

and the seller says:

" The customer is always right. All of our products are fully guaranteed and tested prior to shipping. If you have any problem or any issue with any of our products please contact us so we may assist in fixing these issues or addressing a refund or exchange."

So you should find out if these keys CAN be cut somewhere or ASK them why they are selling blank keys that can't be cut. But again, I don't see anywhere on the auction stating these keys can be cut. Just because it states uncut doesn't mean it can be cut somewhere besides the dealer.

As I have stated before, I only know of the dealer offering the ability to cut the key so if you were able to get it cut elsewhere that would be news to many of us on this forum.

While nowhere on the auction it says it can be cut-it just states uncut and FREE PROGRAMING. In my opinion, I think you ASSUMED it could be cut at a locksmith. Good thing it only cost you about $50 to learn this. Keep in mind you coiuld have gotten a cut valet key without a remote for about the same price at the dealer.

aiwapro
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Did you ever find anyone other that the dealership who can cut keys?

Thanks,
Brian

I never found a place to cut the keys besides the dealership, but haven't looked. I just ordered a new key off of eBay because I wanted the new design, so when it gets here, I'll see if I can program it, and see what happens.

Assymetric
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
When I recently changed my 530D (2001) engine the mechanics encountered a problem with one key.

When this one key is inserted in the ignition apparently it resets the car's module which then has to be reprogrammed. Basically this makes no sense in my world, but I am a little reluctant to get stranded.

aiwapro
02-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I never found a place to cut the keys besides the dealership, but haven't looked. I just ordered a new key off of eBay because I wanted the new design, so when it gets here, I'll see if I can program it, and see what happens.

Well, the key I ordered off eBay this week, it arrived today, and I programmed it, so now it works with the locking system.

Does the dealership just cut the key, or do they really have to program it so that it will start the car, as well.

Also, I was using the rubberish key with my car, and the new one that I ordered, is the new style. I remember hearing or reading something about one of them having the battery re-charged while it is in the ignition, and the other one not. Is there any truth to that? If so, which one is which, in regards to having to replace the battery, or one being re-charged?

Thanks.

jjhernandez
07-04-2008, 11:39 AM
My key stopped locking and unlocking my doors and I tried all of the below "fixes" but M. Wong's post was the only one that worked. The trick was the "near your left shoulder". I tried it in my lap and over the shifter but it never worked. Thanks M. Wong!

3) Remove the 1st key.

Both of my keys got de-programmed. I have been trying to re-program them but so far I have not been able to do it. Is there something else that I could try? I have a 1998 5281. By the way, I replaced the battery in one of the keys right after it got de-programmed.

Thanks, any hints will be appreciated! :-)

jjhernandez
07-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, the fix was easy; I just replaced the fuse and re-programmed the keys. But, now the locks don't activate when I drive the car, I remember that they used to lock as I started driving. Oh well, that is minor, at least now I can lock, unlock my car remotely.

dannyc9997
07-07-2008, 06:57 AM
are you guys doing this because the buttons dont work anymore? cause mine dont work eaither....

tanapol
07-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I was just reading the thread now. I had one of my two remote keys stopped working a while ago, and was left with only one remote working.

Now I just tried the procedures above, and now none of my remote work at all!!!!

Help please. What do I do now?

BTW, I have a 530i year 2003 with the "newer" type self changing remote keys.

Thnaks.

tanapol
07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I was meaning to say SELF CHARGING key not SELF CHANGING

tanapol
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes!!! I got them both back to working again.

After carefully reading some of the threads, I deicided to try again, but this time around I made the following change:

1. the first step, turning the ignition on and off, I did it very quicky and five times in a row rather than once or three times.

2. then step where you guys meitoned to hold the key near your left shoulder, I held mine near my right shoulder instead as my car is a right hand drive.

After that I got the the door lock / unlock confirmation for key one. I then repeat the same thing for key two, finished off with ignition on / off very quicky with key one.

Finally, as I said earlier, they both came back to life!!

Thanks for the info from everybody.

mechanoman
07-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Hello all, I have been reading the posts with great interest since I recently acquired a 2001 525iT wagon, with only one key.

Purchased another key from eBay (sounds like the same site mentioned above) and found a local locksmith who cut the key for $40. The key worked in the door, took it to my local BMW dealership to get it programmed.

They went through the same procedure as Mr. Wong described with the following results... The old key still works fine, the new key will lock/unlock remotely just fine, will fit into the ignition and turn, but once it reaches the "start" position, it will NOT crank over the engine.

If the new key is removed, I can start the engine with the old key, turn it off and immediately insert the new key and it WILL crank the engine. However, once the encine is switched off with the new key and the car is locked, the new key will unlock the car remotely, but will NOT crank the engine over.

I'm baffled... any help out there???

HDBrewer
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
After going through all the above steps with my 2001 525i and my remotes still did not work, I went through each fuse and discovered that #12 (immobilizer) in the glovebox was blown. After replacing the fuse and reprograming the keys, it works fine. FYI I had another fault symptom not mentioned in any previous posts. After removing the key, the "chime" still sounded as if the key had been left in the ignition. That also went away. Hope this helps someone.

HDBrewer
07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
After going through all the above steps with my 2001 525i and my remotes still did not work, I went through each fuse and discovered that #12 (immobilizer) in the glovebox was blown. After replacing the fuse and reprograming the keys, it works fine. FYI I had another fault symptom not mentioned in any previous posts. After removing the key, the "chime" still sounded as if the key had been left in the ignition. That also went away. Hope this helps someone.

PENNISTON
07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I went to the dealer today to get my keys programmed, and the repair person gave me a tip beyond what I've seen on this forum. The procedure is as described in this thread, but the key should be held near the inside rear view mirror, since that is where the receiver is. That should make the procedure more reliable (not near the left shoulder!)

jdelsesto
12-21-2008, 10:05 AM
M. Wong, thanks for the re-program information. My keys for my 2000 740i stopped working for some reason and I did the steps you outlined. My key worked and also worked when i got out of the car. The next day though, it did not work. It seems like the car or key is not retaing the programming in the memory. Should i do the sequence several times ? Let me know if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks all ! Joe

jdelsesto
12-21-2008, 10:17 AM
This worked on my 2000 740i but then the next day the remote didn't unlock the car. Seems like the car did not retain the programming for very long. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Jedi
11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for M. Wong's instruction. I tried a few times on my X3 and it works!
Here are my successful experience to share:
1) Get in and fasten your seat belt (it doesn't matter if the driver-side door is open or close)
2) Apply 1st key to turn on the ignition (a stage right before starting the engine) and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds! BMW dealer recommended to wait all signal lights off which does not work for my car) to start the process. You could also try turn it on & off quickly a couple times.
Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - guess it should be either on rear window or near driver-side window).
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button (center button on my key) 3 times (about 1 second per press). Release the unlock button and the doors lock will soon locks and unlocks to confirm the operation (within 3 seconds).
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc (remember DO NOT INSERT ket #2 TO TURN ON THE IGNITION).

I did the above process about ten times and failed 2-3 times, which might due to subtle timing in each step (for example, waited too long to turn off ignition, pressed 3 times too quickly, did something wrong btw reset key #1 and key#2).

anderduong
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
1. I pop the remote open using a knife (must start from the back like in the picture
included here)

2. I use a razor blade to cut only the batter off of the metal thats soldered to both sides of the battery, then remove the battery (notice, i didn't remove the metal, just the battery only)

3. I install a regular 3 volt cell batter that i bought from Longs Drugs(CVS)
(energizer 2025) <--- thats the batter i bought. you don't need to order any battery online because they are all the same. any 3volt same size will work.

4. I re-align the metal piece that holds the battery, then i put the battery back. ( i did not solder it, i just put it back in. it will stay in place when you put the shell back anyways.

5. i use a "clear silicon adhesive" to seal the ring all around the key, then i use regular paper tape and tape it down so it hold together until the silicons are try.

6. you're done, now follow the re-initiate (re-program the remote)

If you need Pictures follow this guys add, pretty much like my way but i prefer my way so you don't have to deal with that soldering and you might melt your remote unit.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4736755&posted=1#post4736755

HOW PROGRAM THE REMOTE ( RE-INITIATE)
-you must follow and do all the following steps quickly but do it right.

1. Put the key in ignition switch it ON then OFF and quickly remove it.

2. Hold DOWN the UN-LOCK Button, then Press the LOCK Button 3 times.

3. Release the UN-Lock button, your door now should signal

4. Put the key back in the ignition switch it ON then OFF to finalize.

WARNING !!!!!!

It took me almost hundreds of try before i successfully complete it.

the first time, I didn't install the battery properly so it didn't work, so i had to take it out and install it back it properly then. i try it and it work.

just don't give up then you win. and save money i hope. i help you!

any further questions email me ANDERDUON***ahoo.com

(MY STORY OF WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX MY REMOTE)
AND HOW HARD OR EASY OR DOES IT REALLY WORK??
READ BEYOND THEN YOU'LL GET YOUR ANSWER!!!

I drove my car with a dead fob remote key for about 2 year, today for some reason the door lock broke on me, i cannot unlock or lock the car with the key anymore, so i had to get in the car by the trunk, ( i had to open the trunk, pulled the release for the rear seats, push the seats down then get in and unlock my car to get in) to this point i know i couldn't lock my car anymore, i though i had to spend a few hundreds going to the dealer to get a new key or to fix the freaking door lock. I then remembered that i read something on the bimmerfest, and someone mentioned something about the Diamond key they said " you're not suppose to open it though some people had try" so I had to take my risk, open it fix the problem cheap or go spend a few hundreds and have the Dealers do it. Knowingless of what I'm doing, I took a knife and pop the freaking key total open, I wasn't suprise of what i see inside. I had to use a razar blade to cut the soldering off both side of the battery cell. (i only cut to remove the battery, not the cell that was soldered to hold the battery. so I only removed the battery). I read the batter it says 3volt, In the mean time, i had an extra batter that i bought for my Home Garage romote, it was also 3 volts but this one a little bit thicker. i put that battery in and follow the instructions of How To Program my remote from others on bimmerfest. I did what they said to do, did it so many times then i gave up because it didn't work. I went back, took everything out again, i try to re align everything specially the battery to be in proper position. i went back to my car: 1. key in ignition, switch it on then off quickly 2. take it out right away then press and hold down unlock button while pressing the lock button exactly 3 times, then let go the unlock button, my doors signaled, 4. i put the key back in the ignition switch it on then off to finalize. it work, and i was so freaking happy, it was one of the best moment for me. you don't know how much it meant to me to fix my key. I'm now happy bacause i can use my remote to lock and unlock, i don't have to worry about my stupidd broken lock, I saved myself from the Dealers atleast a few hundreds.

BMWBLUES
12-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Mwong....you are the man, I now have keyless entry again after about 5 months of not having it. Thanks

brm98072
12-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Help.... I appreciate all the advice and have tried all methods here, except for opening up the key. None work. I have a 2001 530i with newer key style. Followed recommended steps many different times. The 53 fuse is fine and my gas cap lock actuator is disconnected. Gas cap lock actuator was previously causing fuse 53 to blow, so I disconnected it. Does anyone suggest any other things I can check?

mschyder
11-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Thank you very much it is perfectly worked

divineazn716
05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
hey guys, i see that everyone is having success with this! except for me =( i tried all these methods but they are not working. my key hasn't been working for years, well the remote part of it. i can drive it fine and all that. let me ask you guys this, if you shake ur key, can you feel the inside rattling? lol mine does, does that mean i broke the inside? well let me know if any of urs rattle inside. sounds stupid but if this is the reason i can't reprogram it then i guess i'll have to pay the expense. i have a 2001 530i with the rubber key that is suppose self charging.

bimmerZ5
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
hey guys, i see that everyone is having success with this! except for me =( i tried all these methods but they are not working. my key hasn't been working for years, well the remote part of it. i can drive it fine and all that. let me ask you guys this, if you shake ur key, can you feel the inside rattling? lol mine does, does that mean i broke the inside? well let me know if any of urs rattle inside. sounds stupid but if this is the reason i can't reprogram it then i guess i'll have to pay the expense. i have a 2001 530i with the rubber key that is suppose self charging.

you might consider opening it up and see what's loose. a lot of car electronics isn't too hard to repair if you're handy with a soldering iron.

chrisham
07-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi, First posting for me so please go easy on me;-) My dad recently purchased a 2000 528i se auto. The dealer cleverly ensured he didn't need to use the key remote :-( I have tried all the suggestions listed on this forum for him as well as sending the key away to have a new battery and microswitches fitted. I really thought that would do the trick but sadly not. The fuel cap locks and I have checked the fuses in the glove box. Has anyone any suggestions before I tear my hair out?

Thanks to all

Chris

chrisham
07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry forgot to say it is the later diamond shape key

QSilver7
07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Do any of the other remote features work?

Does the Panic Button work?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/Panic%20Mode%20New%20Style%20Key.jpg

Can you roll the windows down using the remote buttons (perhaps up, too in your part of the world)? Press & hold the UNLOCK button (on the old & new style keys) to roll the windows down and open the sunroof:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/Key%20fob%20convenience%20open.jpg

chrisham
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Even in this part of the world the windows will go up and down with the key remote, but not this one ;-)

Just double checked and nothing appears to operate from the key.

BImmerDOM
08-18-2011, 05:48 AM
works great thanks all, any idea why this happened out the blue???

bluebee
08-18-2011, 06:44 AM
any idea why this happened out the blue???

I never saw this thread until today, but, for lots more related information, see these threads:

- Diamond key functions (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6127821#post6127821)) & the truth about the BMW diamond key transponder (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5949594&posted=1#post5949594)) and proper initializing (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5753338&postcount=12)) (2 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31632)) and the truth about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5964272#post5964272)) & opening, charging, recoding, & battery replacement (1 (http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=VL2020-1HFvirtualkey65800000virtualkey658-VL2020-1HF)) of the new-style diamond key (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5707815&postcount=5)) (2 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107340)) (3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311)) (4 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510)) (5 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=481585)) (6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324351)) & converting the old-style 1996-2000 "square" key to a diamond key (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5834384)) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style keys (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5575439&postcount=1)) (2 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5924411#post5924411)) & what to do if your key is locked inside your car (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531418)) & a description of the various types of BMW "Remote", "Illuminated", "Spare/Wallet", & "Valet/Service" keys (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5966203&postcount=2)) (2 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5967367&postcount=32)).

I'll cross link this thread to the key programming ones above so that others can find this thread more easily in the future.