PDA

View Full Version : X3 Paint Job - during a lease

parrothead72
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I just leased a 2005 3.0 X3 in Alpine White with a tan leather interior. I was almost indifferent between the Alpine White and the Black Saphire Mettalic. If I wanted to pay for a paint job during the 36 month lease, (a) is that something that can be done and, if so, (b) i presume the dealer would be cool with it as Black will be easier for them to resell. If it is possible, what do you think a high-quality paint job would cost?

Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Clarke
12-05-2004, 01:59 PM
(a) short of taking the comepletly car apart no it can not be done in a way that is not instantly obvious to anyone with half a clue.(b) the dealer(BMWNA actually would not be understanding at all,repaints are not easier to sell and worth much less.A quality job would still be worth less and cost much more than you would believe or you wouldn't even ask.Trade or enjoy your white car.

flynhawaiian
12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I second that, thats rediculous. Your talking a minimum of 10k to do this. Not some macco thing. Dealer would be like you own it now. :confused: sell it and buy a new X3 in black :tsk:

(a) short of taking the comepletly car apart no it can not be done in a way that is not instantly obvious to anyone with half a clue.(b) the dealer(BMWNA actually would not be understanding at all,repaints are not easier to sell and worth much less.A quality job would still be worth less and cost much more than you would believe or you wouldn't even ask.Trade or enjoy your white car.

SARAFIL
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I just leased a 2005 3.0 X3 in Alpine White with a tan leather interior. I was almost indifferent between the Alpine White and the Black Saphire Mettalic. If I wanted to pay for a paint job during the 36 month lease, (a) is that something that can be done and, if so, (b) i presume the dealer would be cool with it as Black will be easier for them to resell. If it is possible, what do you think a high-quality paint job would cost?

Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

You would have to take most of the car apart to get a *really* good job, and that would be extremely expensive. Not to mention that you can't do modifications like that to a leased car. Plus, if BMW wants to be an ass about it, they can charge you to repaint the car back to the stock color at the end of the lease, or just charge you outrageous penalties for hacking up their car.

Remember-- you're leasing, so it isn't your car. Don't do something that silly to a car you don't own.

Also, as a dealer, I would refuse to take that car back from you off lease, and I'd make you figure out some way to return the car with BMWFS that didn't involve turning it in at my dealer. I'm obligated to buy most of my lease returns, and I wouldn't want anything at all to do with that car.

parrothead72
12-06-2004, 07:56 AM
thanks for all the responses. i suppose the only other option for me to explore would be to (a) buy the car during the lease and own it outright and then (b) flip it. if i'm not mistaken, even though i am on lease i always have the option of buying the car, right?

kyfdx
12-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Correct.. you can buy it at any time... Might be some kind of penalty during the first six months though..

My advice: Get over it.. White looks good.

pjo1966
12-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Another option is to find someone to take over your current lease and then get a black one. swapalease.com might work for you.

*obligatory disclaimer* I've suggested to a couple people that they check out swapalease. I am not affliliated with them and I have personally never used them. From what I've heard and read it's the best way to get out of a lease if your lender completely releases you from responsibilty when someone assumes your lease... which BMW does.