PDA

View Full Version : scraping sound from 1st to 2nd shift

McMannusBMW
12-05-2004, 07:40 PM
I installed a UUC EVO 3 a couple weeks ago, and at first, the new shifter seemed to move through teh gates no problem no sounds, just nice and short. but now, i hear a horrifying metal-on-metal scraping when i shift from first to second. has anyone else experienced this? everytime i hear it chills my blood. please help.

thanks,
Nikil

kc5
12-05-2004, 10:04 PM
I installed the UUC EVO3 a few months ago. I never hear a scraping sound, but I do get an audible click click sound when shifting to any gear (which I've been told is normal). Call UUC about your problem and please let me know what they say. Do you ever hear the click click sound?

McMannusBMW
12-06-2004, 01:14 PM
I installed the UUC EVO3 a few months ago. I never hear a scraping sound, but I do get an audible click click sound when shifting to any gear (which I've been told is normal). Call UUC about your problem and please let me know what they say. Do you ever hear the click click sound?

I called UUC, they told me that the only two things that could cause the scraping sound are either the ERK is not securely bolted on, or the transmission cross-brace/mounts are not properly secured. just hope it's not a worse problem, like something with the tranny itself.

kc5
12-06-2004, 03:44 PM
UUC's diagnosis sounds plausible. Doubtful it's the tranny itself. I'm curious: Your first post said that you previously got no sounds from the shifter. Don't you hear a slight audible click click (snick snick) sound when shifting?

McMannusBMW
12-08-2004, 01:16 PM
UUC's diagnosis sounds plausible. Doubtful it's the tranny itself. I'm curious: Your first post said that you previously got no sounds from the shifter. Don't you hear a slight audible click click (snick snick) sound when shifting?

yea, kc5, i do hear the audible click. i tried tightening the ERK bolts, and that seems to have worked. shifter's as sweet as ever :thumbup:

kc5
12-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Happy shifting, McMannusBMW!