PDA

View Full Version : Help on mysterious rear tire wear-98 528i

Dan983
12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
I am experiencing an expensive problem with my 1998 528i. It has 86,000 miles and M5 18' wheels. On 2 occasions, left & right side, I had a flat on the rear with tires only having 3-4 thousand miles. Upon investigation, we found a 3-4 inch place on the inside tread which was worn to the point of exposed steel. It looked like someone took a huge peeler and scraped off a section of tire. I've had a total alignment 3 times and currently have new tires. I can hear a slight wobble, like a out of round tire, sound coming from the rear now at 35+ mph.

My repair shop cannot figure out whats going on as they say the bearing wear looks normal and the rear looks perfectly balanced when run at high speed on the lift. I purchased the car with 48,000 miles and this didn't happen during my 1st 2 years of ownership and the car has not been hit.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

jensenh
12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
is it possible that the wheel is out of round? i have an out of round wheel (18x10.5 wheel) and occasionally it will just go flat and i get to throw the spare on for a while. just a thought.

Dan983
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
is it possible that the wheel is out of round? i have an out of round wheel (18x10.5 wheel) and occasionally it will just go flat and i get to throw the spare on for a while. just a thought.

If the tire was out of round cou;d if be machine balanced with a new tire?

gojira-san
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
If the tire was out of round cou;d if be machine balanced with a new tire?
No, maybe the wheel is out of round or bent - no tire will be able to be balanced on it. I had to have 2 wheels straightened on my 528 when I bought it - you got some serious wobble/thump around 60mph... having the wheels straightened then rebalanced fixed the problem.

jensenh
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
^^^my rear wheel is bent. this particular wheel that is bent now has been straightened twice since i've owned it in 3 years. its a pain but i love the rear width so ideal with it. good luck getting this sorted out.

Dan983
12-08-2004, 04:29 AM
^^^my rear wheel is bent. this particular wheel that is bent now has been straightened twice since i've owned it in 3 years. its a pain but i love the rear width so ideal with it. good luck getting this sorted out.

My service guy says the wheel balaned fine. The tires looked like a mellon ball was scraped out of the tire on the inside of the tread. Could the rear ball joints of struts cause something like this?

Thank you

roadie
12-08-2004, 06:19 AM
rear looks perfectly balanced when run at high speed on the lift.
Thanks in advance for your assistance

Now that's a good one. You're telling me the car's on the lift, someone's stepping on the gas pedal and you can 'see' if the rear tires are spinning perfectly?

Take the car to a professional BMW shop and get the suspension and alignment re-checked. You are a rolling safety hazard on the road to yourself and others while this problem exists.