PDA

View Full Version : 05 530 en route, how long

carndog
12-08-2004, 09:54 AM
So I just noticed today, Wed, that my car is en route so how long does it usually take from this point to get to the dealer in San Diego? Also, once the car arrives are there any recommended things I should check for prior to leaving the dealership? I've always bought used cars so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in Advance :bigpimp:

lcc014
12-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Mine took 2 weeks to get to USA in New Jersey, and then about 2 more weeks to drive the car from dealer back home.

I would check around the car paint especially the trunk area, right about the license plate. That is the hidden spot to check to make sure the paint is smooth and shine. Also, make sure that dealer does not use long pointy, sharp screw for the rear license plate holder. My dealer use that kind of screw to install the license plate in the trunk and that made 4 tiny dings on the paint, ouch!!!! I removed the screw and cut them short such that they would not touch the metal/paint.

I installed the front license plate myself, very easy. I trust myself more than the dealer ...

Also check the interior for any scratch or bad spot on the wood trim. My kids were very good of doing that for me when they were sitting in the back of the car.

Hope this help.

Ching-Ho Cheng

carndog
12-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks, that's good advice. Wondering why it took you two weeks to drive the car from the dealer as it looks like you live in Quincy, MA? It's kind of amazing that these guys aren't more careful and I agree with you, I trust myself more than those guys.

Later

Mine took 2 weeks to get to USA in New Jersey, and then about 2 more weeks to drive the car from dealer back home.

I would check around the car paint especially the trunk area, right about the license plate. That is the hidden spot to check to make sure the paint is smooth and shine. Also, make sure that dealer does not use long pointy, sharp screw for the rear license plate holder. My dealer use that kind of screw to install the license plate in the trunk and that made 4 tiny dings on the paint, ouch!!!! I removed the screw and cut them short such that they would not touch the metal/paint.

I installed the front license plate myself, very easy. I trust myself more than the dealer ...

Also check the interior for any scratch or bad spot on the wood trim. My kids were very good of doing that for me when they were sitting in the back of the car.

Hope this help.

Ching-Ho Cheng

lcc014
12-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks, that's good advice. Wondering why it took you two weeks to drive the car from the dealer as it looks like you live in Quincy, MA? It's kind of amazing that these guys aren't more careful and I agree with you, I trust myself more than those guys.

Later

After the car got to the New Jersay BMW center for preparation, I had to wait for the truck to delivery the car to the dealer, then I went to the dealer to pick it up.

Before the car get to the dealer, dealer had so many things to ask you to buy :

1) LoJack - $695,
2) Wax/telfon - $399,
3) nose mask/bra - about $399, but no sure include bumper or not,
4) tire/rim insurance - $399

I only took the tire/rim insurance since BMW rims are not cheap. I should have taken the nose mask/bra too :(

I also asked the price of the extended warranty, it was about $2500 for up to 6 years and 70k miles after the original 4 years/50k miles.

Ching-Ho Cheng

carndog
12-09-2004, 11:48 PM
I went to the dealer today because my friend wanted to check on the extended warranties for a 2002 so I checked into the warranties for the 05. The 05 price he showed me was $2999 for the ext warranty. From your message it appears you didn't buy it. What was your reasoning on not purchasing it? I also have a quote from a credit union where the pricing is $1100 so I'm leaning towards that but not sure. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the warranty. Take Care

After the car got to the New Jersay BMW center for preparation, I had to wait for the truck to delivery the car to the dealer, then I went to the dealer to pick it up.

Before the car get to the dealer, dealer had so many things to ask you to buy :

1) LoJack - $695,
2) Wax/telfon - $399,
3) nose mask/bra - about $399, but no sure include bumper or not,
4) tire/rim insurance - $399

I only took the tire/rim insurance since BMW rims are not cheap. I should have taken the nose mask/bra too :(

I also asked the price of the extended warranty, it was about $2500 for up to 6 years and 70k miles after the original 4 years/50k miles.

Ching-Ho Cheng

kd2789mo
12-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Later
BMW completes 99% of the new car prep at their Distribution Center in NJ. They then transprot the vehicle (under cover) to the dealership. Virtally all the final prep is completed by the Distribution Center, including removing all transport packaging, plastic seat protectors, body film, etc. The dealership's final prep basically consists of a visual check, wash, (not wax) and brief system check (inventory, eg: OM, NAV disc, etc).
They trust their dealers about as much as we do :rofl:

marinakorp
12-10-2004, 08:48 AM
2) Wax/telfon - $399,

Ching-Ho Cheng
you paid for a 400 "teflon" wax job... NEVER...EVER... pay for this GARBAGE!

lcc014
12-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I went to the dealer today because my friend wanted to check on the extended warranties for a 2002 so I checked into the warranties for the 05. The 05 price he showed me was $2999 for the ext warranty. From your message it appears you didn't buy it. What was your reasoning on not purchasing it? I also have a quote from a credit union where the pricing is $1100 so I'm leaning towards that but not sure. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the warranty. Take Care

I didn't buy it then but I will buy it when the original warranty is going to expire. Dealer told me that I can purchase the warranty anytime within the original warranty.

I had the extended warranty for my Volvo 850 and it was worth it. Oxygen sensor replacement and rear brake caliper, rotor repalcement, heater core and AC evaporator replacement were all covered. I only paid $25 for the job. However, Volvo warranty covers longer period than BMW - 7 years/100k miles.

Ching-Ho Cheng