PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Professional Detailing

mandms7
12-12-2004, 10:55 AM
About two months ago I purchased a Jet Black 2002 330Ci. Several weeks ago I got around to detailing it, which included using some Meguiar's "paint cleaner" (older product), polisher, and some carnuba wax. I did this all by hand, and the car looked great, but it didn't do anything to remove light scratches and swirls. As a result, I want to have it professionally detailed to get the light scratches and swirls removed. Before I have it done, I wanted to ask you guys a couple questions:

1) If I tell them I would like to have the exterior detailed, does that mean that the light scratches and swirls will get removed as part of that process, or do they have to do something special to get those out?

2) I'm really anal about the car, and when I hand detailed it myself I masked off all the trim, emblems, etc. Do professional detailers normally do this, or am I going to get the car back with scratches/marks on the aluminum trim?

3) Any advice on picking a professional detailer, or specific questions to ask?

4) What's a decent price to pay to have this type of service done?

Thanks for your help!

mandms7
12-13-2004, 01:11 PM
No one can answer any of my questions?

Desertnate
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I can't speak for everyone here, but a lot of us do our own detail work. The lack of response probably means no one here knows.

If all you are trying to do is get rid of swirl marks, you can probably do that your self. I have swirls on both my cars that will hopefully be eliminated this spring.

There are tons of pointers here in the Detail Forum that could help you if you try it yourself.

brybarrett
12-13-2004, 05:05 PM
I would say visit a couple of shops and speak to them about how particular you are about certain things and get an idea on they perform their services. Ask to see some of there work and then make a decision.

mandms7
02-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Bump. I asked this a while ago, but didn't get much respone. I'd rather get more input here before I start calling the shops.

BahnBaum
02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I think Desertnate stated it well. Most of us here do this ourselves, so we can't really speak to what professionals do.

You way want to go to www.autopia.org. Lots of professional detailers on that board who will gladly answer your questions.

Alex

A Perfect Shine
02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I am a professional in MD so I can probably help you out here:

1) If I tell them I would like to have the exterior detailed, does that mean that the light scratches and swirls will get removed as part of that process, or do they have to do something special to get those out?

Usually a full exterior detail includes a polish which will remove light scratches. Be specific and ask what their process is and what products they use. There are a lot of very poor detailers out there that use the quickest products they can find and one person can do a car in 2 hours. You should expect one person to do a car in 4-5 hours if he knows what he's doing.

2) I'm really anal about the car, and when I hand detailed it myself I masked off all the trim, emblems, etc. Do professional detailers normally do this, or am I going to get the car back with scratches/marks on the aluminum trim?

Probably. I don't mask the car off but I do use a polish/wax remover on the trim after I polish. Just tell the detailer your concerns and they should be able to accommodate you.

3) Any advice on picking a professional detailer, or specific questions to ask?

A good professional detailer knows he's good and is able and willing to answer any specific questions that you have. Ask what products and processes they use. Most detailers use rotary buffers which usually leave swirl marks or holograms on clear coated paint. If they use a rotary then make sure they have expirence with it but just because they have expirence doesn't mean they are good. References are the best way to go.

4) What's a decent price to pay to have this type of service done?

Don't expect it to be cheap. I do a very good job and charge $225 for a full detail but offer coupons. If you want it done right then expect to pay the same.

mandms7
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your response! Definitely what I was looking for.