PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Engine Power

jonathanx3
12-12-2004, 03:01 PM
My X3 2.5i Automatic has just reached about 1600 miles. Last week, it started to lose power and it seems to be shifting harder (noticable shift between down and up) and it seems to have a hard time to actually shift into the next gear. At times I have to almost max out the pedal just to get enough power to gain speed or pass a vehicle. This problem seems to come and go, as sometimes the speed and pickup of the X3 are great, and very speedy. Other times, the speed is very, very sluggish. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? I have wondered if it was related to the colder weather in the northeast, or the quality of gasoline (I have only ever used 93 octane premium gasoline). During this problem, it also seems that the engine is reving too high at times, and revs high until the vehicle is almost at complete stop. When in idle, the engines sounds normal, no excessive revving. Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

flynhawaiian
12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
No clue, the colder weather should make the car run a bit better, unless the oil is possibly having problems? It sounds like you need to go into the dealership and talk with the SA on this matter. It would be something I would do tomarrow.... :violent:

My X3 2.5i Automatic has just reached about 1600 miles. Last week, it started to lose power and it seems to be shifting harder (noticable shift between down and up) and it seems to have a hard time to actually shift into the next gear. At times I have to almost max out the pedal just to get enough power to gain speed or pass a vehicle. This problem seems to come and go, as sometimes the speed and pickup of the X3 are great, and very speedy. Other times, the speed is very, very sluggish. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? I have wondered if it was related to the colder weather in the northeast, or the quality of gasoline (I have only ever used 93 octane premium gasoline). During this problem, it also seems that the engine is reving too high at times, and revs high until the vehicle is almost at complete stop. When in idle, the engines sounds normal, no excessive revving. Any clues or help would be greatly appreciated.

bhatnsa
12-13-2004, 07:37 AM
I have 2005 3.0i with Steptronic with 500 miles and experienced to be looks like a similar problem when driving y'day at temp around 36 def F. I put the car on cruise control at 65mph and them increased speed using the + button on the steering. The RPM jumped from 2.3k to over 3k and stayed there forever (and I was not going uphill) untill I changed to Manual and changed the gear to M5. This was wierd and I could repeat this phenomenon. Not sure what is causing this...but it's wierd....any thoughts?

newdad
12-13-2004, 10:24 AM
was it low on gas?

bhatnsa
12-13-2004, 11:23 AM
not in my case..thank was more than half full...used 93 octane Exxon

scottcan
12-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Can you get 93 Octane gas in California? I have only seen max of 91 octane.

scottcan
southern CA

newdad
12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
not in my case..thank was more than half full...used 93 octane Exxon
mine was almost empty (range 9 miles) when it happened so i assumed that's the cause. it's using exxon 93 as well.

also, the car was in the garage for about a week before i took it out with 2 psgrs and no warm-up.

jonathanx3
12-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Mine has been on a full tank, and still experience these issues. Suppose it's the tranny?