PDA

View Full Version : new bmw's sucks?

fricas
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I was just reading the messages in this forum and i made an opinion that new bmw's like e60's are really bad quality cars. I am driving 1990 520i and i haven't faced any problems, especially one's with electronics (luckily e34 doesn't have many electronics :thumbup: ). My father has 1994 740i and mother has 1998 528i and they haven't faced almost any problems with their cars. Maybe European bmw's are better quality than the American? :dunno:

BahnBaum
12-13-2004, 04:18 PM
I was just reading the messages in this forum and i made an opinion that new bmw's like e60's are really bad quality cars. I am driving 1990 520i and i haven't faced any problems, especially one's with electronics (luckily e34 doesn't have many electronics :thumbup: ). My father has 1994 740i and mother has 1998 528i and they haven't faced almost any problems with their cars. Maybe European bmw's are better quality than the American? :dunno:
I've got a '90 and an '04 and I have had no problems to speak of. Previously I put 100K on a 1982 320i and had no major quality issues.

I don't think you can extrapolate quality from an enthusiasts message board. Many people will post about their issues, but those that are generally satisfied prolly keep it to themselves.

Alex

andy_thomas
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
These days the cars - and their engine management systems - are largely the same across markets. The E38 and E39 cars you describe are still relatively trouble-free; most drivers, regardless of where they are, do not have repeated, chronic trouble with them.

Also do bear in mind that people will tend to post about a problem they have with their car rather than post every day to say "hey, no problems today!". So this is not the best place to form an opinion of any given BMW's reliability. Having said that, the marked increase in complexity of the very latest BMWs has added another layer of potential for trouble. A tech' at my local dealer, who acts as a useful barometer of what's good and bad in BMW world, reckons the mechanicals of the E60 are bomb-proof - but the electronics and computery have a *long* way to go before it even comes close. Only 1 in 20 cars coming back for warranty work have any sort of mechanical failure.

BahnBaum
12-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Also do bear in mind that people will tend to post about a problem they have with their car rather than post every day to say "hey, no problems today!". So this is not the best place to form an opinion of any given BMW's reliability. Another stellar example of great minds thinking alike. :)

Alex

andy_thomas
12-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Another stellar example of great minds thinking alike. :)

Alex
Hello everyone. Just dropping by to say that today I had no problems with my car.

OK, bye then.

:D

eswimm
12-14-2004, 11:37 AM
I do think it is dissapointing though to have a $50,000+ car and have a list of things you know are likely to break.

Since I've had my 2002 540i6 (now with 53000m), I've had the following problems.

Loose interior door trim.
Passenger dash air bag cover (dash insert) opened.
Gear shift knob came off (broken clip).
Rear center seat belt stuck.
Leaky driver door seal (water in the car).
Air conditioner blower (some resistor failure).
Dead pixels in the display.
Rear left seat belt stuck (OOW $450 part).
Blown radiator and expansion tank (this morning, OOW $640).

Most of those are cosmetic and really didn't bother me much, but the crappy radiator and pixel problems are unacceptable. They aren't safety issues fortunately, but they seem to have such a high failure rate that it tarnishes the entire image, in my opinion.

I love my car, but being out of warranty now, I'm really concerned about future reliability. I've had more issues with this car than my previous 2000 Volvo S80 T6 (since sold to my inlaws), with approx 100,000m now.

1Dreamer
12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Also do bear in mind that people will tend to post about a problem they have with their car rather than post every day to say "hey, no problems today!". . . . . Only 1 in 20 cars coming back for warranty work have any sort of mechanical failure. Agreed! No problems (yet) with this one or the prior two (put over 100K on both) other than the typical stuff - Inspections 1 & II, brakes, tires, belts. Water pump and radiator started to go bad at just under 100K on the last one, but caught before they blew and it was all covered by warranty. I've never been stranded, had one not start or been in a situation where I couldn't drive the car in for maintenance work. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm sold on BMW reliability until I get a lemon. :thumbup:

Dave 330i
12-14-2004, 06:34 PM
For the record...

BMW's overall U.S. sales are up 8 percent, thanks to the arrival of a new SUV, the X3. But U.S. sales of the 5 Series are down 5 percent; 7 Series sales have dropped 19 percent. In contrast, sales at Lexus, which is owned by Toyota Motor Corp., are up 12 percent.

For Mercedes-Benz, quality problems are taking a bite out of the bottom line, too. In the third quarter, DaimlerChrysler AG said additional spending to take care of Mercedes quality glitches was part of the cause for a 62 percent drop in its Mercedes division's operating profit.

The cars included on the "least reliable" list are not eligible for inclusion in Consumer Report's list of recommended vehicles.

BMW AG's poor rating doesn't come as a surprise to Gerard Rabadeau, a 58-year-old financial adviser in Westfield, N.J. He bought a 2004 5 Series sedan earlier this year, and the trouble started the day he picked up the car. He ordered a 5 Series primarily because it was supposed to have "Bluetooth" wireless technology that would automatically connect his cellphone to the car's communications system. That would allow him to jump in the car and talk hands-free with clients while driving.

But when he picked up the vehicle, the salesman explained the Bluetooth technology wasn't working yet, and he didn't know if BMW would ever get it to work. Within a week or so, the "key in ignition" warning started going off _ even after he left the car with the key in his pocket. Later, the security alarm started blaring whenever he used his key-fob remote to pop the trunk.

He has taken the car back to the dealership several times, but the problems continue to occur, and he is resigned to only opening the trunk manually. "I haven't had problems with the traditional engine, the transmission, but the electronics are a real pain," Mr. Rabadeau said. "It's frustrating. It's a $60,000 car."

beowulf777
12-14-2004, 07:34 PM
It just goes to show you that the world's electrical engineers are overworked and underpayed. Mechanical engineers have the easy job.

roadie
12-14-2004, 08:55 PM
It just goes to show you that the world's electrical engineers are overworked and underpayed. Mechanical engineers have the easy job.

Anybody even buying that silly looking Cadillac ? :eek:

BahnBaum
12-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't mind owning that silly looking CTS-V.

Alex

beowulf777
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM

I can't believe that any one is, but it has done well with the automotive magazines.

roadie
12-15-2004, 12:16 PM
I can't believe that any one is, but it has done well with the automotive magazines.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It IS a silly looking SUV

phat ho
12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
i don't agree that people only post for problems. people who post are enthusiasts who deserve better for the amount of money they pay for these cars :bawling:

andy_thomas
12-16-2004, 04:48 AM
i don't agree that people only post for problems.
Neither do I.

Oh, me again, just to say had no problems today, car is still outside, hasn't got any dirtier since I last drove it, when it started fine and ran fine.

OK, bye!

:D

BahnBaum
12-16-2004, 04:51 AM
i don't agree that people only post for problems. people who post are enthusiasts who deserve better for the amount of money they pay for these cars :bawling:I'm not arguing that point. But in that case, if you're going to extrapolate build quality from an enthusiast board you'll need to compare the "general mood" of ownership to other makers' enthusiasts boards. From what I've seen BMW is no different.

Alex

Wallenrod
12-16-2004, 12:55 PM
I do think it is dissapointing though to have a $50,000+ car and have a list of things you know are likely to break.

Why? The purchase price has nothing to do with reliability. I'm sure $100,000+ Ferraris are less reliable than your bimmer.