PDA

View Full Version : 2000 528i purchase advice

Niftster
12-14-2004, 08:31 PM
I've got an opportunity at a CPO '00 528i. A dealer has it now. Its got 39,000 miles, had one owner, and the price is acceptable. The warranty (6 year) runs out in roughly 15 months.

My question is, what could I expect as far as problems? I realize nothing is a lock, but I just want to made sure before I make an offer tomorrow. The radiator thing scares the hell out of me. Is this something I could head off before it happens?

Is there anything else that's an issue that I missed?

Thanks

Kaari
12-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I've got an opportunity at a CPO '00 528i. A dealer has it now. Its got 39,000 miles, had one owner, and the price is acceptable. The warranty (6 year) runs out in roughly 15 months.

My question is, what could I expect as far as problems? I realize nothing is a lock, but I just want to made sure before I make an offer tomorrow. The radiator thing scares the hell out of me. Is this something I could head off before it happens?

Thanks

Purchased a similar car a few months ago and have nothing but praise for the vehicle. It had 28000 miles when I purchased it. It has ZPP,ZSP, Cold. (manual) Runs great. Just a small issue with it recently which I have put up a post on bimmerfest recently. Everything with the car is great. Really enjoy driving it.

How much is the guy asking for it?

528i
12-15-2004, 03:13 PM
This thread contains a lot of info regarding what one needs to look out for regarding purchase of an e39.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79748

Niftster
12-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks you for your replies.

Kari, it was marked at 25,900. After the haggling we were around 24,000 give or take a few hundred. A trade was involved so who knows what they really were letting it go for.
They were close last week but wouldn't budge, so I was waiting a bit. It was sold this morning.

What is the real problem is...is that there are only a three dealerships within a half days drive from where I live, so I have to do a lot of stuff over the phone and email.

I'll probably move to plan B and look into '01s.

sidneyj
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks

If your still looking, autotrader.com and e-bay have lots of good BMW's. Look for a private owner versus a dealership. Look for a private owner who is a BMW fanatic and usually they keep them very clean and maintained. A good bit of the dealerships cars are bought at auctions and were leased. Not all of them buy most of them. Don't buy into the "cpo" thing. Your paying an extra couple thousand for this and if you buy a late model you don't need it. I just bought a 2003 530i off autotrader and have been extremely happy. Good luck.

waydeki
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
i really like the car. but i have had to do some work between 43k and 75k miles. new alternator, new thermostat, and a nagging check engine light from some sort of "mis shift" code. you also have to make sure that oil changes were regularly done because it can cause problems for the VANOS.