PDA

View Full Version : I pod w/ FM Transmitter

Seadog
12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
For all of you that are waiting on the icelink etc.I think everyone should by an FM Transmitter.I bought mine at Target for 29.99.It transmits the sound on your I pod to any digital FM radio!!! House,cars,office etc. I use mine in my jeep,house,and most of all my 2004 525.It works great.All you have to do is tune the radio to a fuzzy station and dial the transmitter to the same frequency and bam you have tunes.

trav
12-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I just bought an iTrip (which is exactly what you described). It's definitely way cooler to listen to my iPod through the car stereo instead of using the ear buds. The only minor problem is that the sound is a little on the soft side. I've really got to crank the car volume up to make it loud enough. Still a great purchase!

trikerider
12-21-2004, 05:21 AM
An FM transmitter is only as good as it's anti-drift capabilities. FM signals tend to drift about a bit (not pretending to understand this) and good FM tuners have the ability to lock onto signals and - I guess - drift right along with them.

Most of the FM transmitters I have owned - all in an attempt to keep from having wires hanging all over the place in previous cars - required constant fiddling with if we went out of town.

I finally quit spending money on the stupid things and bought one of those cassette thingy's that allow you to hook up to your ipods headphone out port. sounds much better, cleaner, and I never have to futz with the FM tuner on the transmitter.

#750 (I am so looking forward to seamless integration of my ipod with the icelink once my car arrives.)

528i
02-14-2005, 10:59 PM
When it is working well, my iTrip gives what seems like a better than FM signal. In fact, unless you have it too loud, it sounds just about as good as cd (taking into account the mp3 and sound system quality).

However, if you live in an area with a lot of radio stations, this will not work. I live close enough to Seattle that there is at least some sound on nearly every part of the range, and the FM transmitter only boosts what you hear. When I was testing my FM transmitter next to my home stereo, I was able to get a clear signal out of stations I could barely make out before.

The FM transmitter is perfect for trips in the country, or in areas without lots of FM stations. When I bought my car in the bay area, I drove it up I-5 through Northern California and Oregon, and it was the perfect thing to have.. No need to pull over and change any cds, and the sound quality was perfect just about the whole time.

dagoo98
02-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks.

I'm in the NYC area, so this sounds like a bad option for me.

I also live inthe nyc area and I pruchased it and it definitely does not work well for city driving. It does come in handy when I'm at home though, it works quite well when its stationary so it does a good job on my home stereo. The problem is that as you drive around in the city there are so many frequencies going in and out it interrupts the Itrip.

It is also good to have for road trips, once you are out on the highway it delivers clear and sharp sound. All in all I do not regret my purchase because I get good results on the highway and I can use it in the house. :thumbup:

528i
02-15-2005, 11:44 AM
It is also good to have for road trips, once you are out on the highway it delivers clear and sharp sound. All in all I do not regret my purchase because I get good results on the highway and I can use it in the house. :thumbup:

Yeah, the iTrip is like $30 or so. Personally, I think it is worth the money even though I only take maybe 1 or 2 roadtrips a year long enough to warrant bringing 40GB of music. It is certainly cheaper than Sirius/XM.