PDA

View Full Version : 545 sport experince with Micelin PS2's or Pilot A/S

mswaz
12-20-2004, 12:30 PM
I am replacing my OEM Dunlop runflats on my 545 sport with either PS2's or Pilot Sport A/S. Does anyone here have much experience or reviews with either tire.

M.Wong
12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't have a 545, but up here in the Pacific Northwest, I think the A/S'es are a great tire. They provide good wet and light snow traction and have a significantly longer treadwear rating. Check out www.TireRack.com for the review/comparison between them.

I have had them on the E38 for a few years. The rears lasted 28K miles (I replaced them with the exact same thing) and the fronts should go about 33K or maybe even more. People with the regular Pilot Sports said anything over 18K miles was a bonus.

If you track the car, the A/S'es are not good for you. For daily driving, I think they are a good choice.

I found Costco had the best prices, but Discount Tire matched it. Maybe I am biased, but I ran Michelin MXV4s on the E30 for many years and was very happy. Kept with Michelins when I got the E38. (MXV4s on 16" wheels, then the A/S'es on 18"). I like them so much, "Michelin Man and Michelin Man's Best Friend" is my avatar picture!

mswaz
12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Mr. Wong
I am sold on the PS2's but would like the A/S for the few days a year we get a light dusting and slightly frosted roads, but the reviews online on Tirerack are not as favorable as they are for the PS2's.
I am never going to track the car and I rarely really step into it.
There are not many high mileage PS2 reviews online either. So do you have PS2's on your E38 or the pilot A/S

M.Wong
12-20-2004, 02:06 PM
A/S'es and love them.

I am sure the PS'2s would be great if I didn't want the better longevity.

Mark