PDA

View Full Version : new speakers

REV1
12-20-2004, 05:13 PM
my car is a 97 and lets face it speaker technology isnt like it used to be. So i realy would like to change out a few of the speakers with aftermarket such as MB quart. ANY information on the whole operation would be much appriciated :thumbup:

subterFUSE
12-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Are you going to replace the amps?

Changing your speakers to something like Quarts will not be very beneficial if you do not upgrade the amplification.

Speaker technology has actually remained relatively unchanged for decades.

Having quality amps is more important. You can make a poor quality speaker sound much better with a good amp.... you can make a high-quality speaker sound like crap and even get damaged with a poor amp.

jvr826
12-22-2004, 09:34 AM
There's a little more to it. Do you have DSP or standard audio system?

If you have standard, you can upgrade the amp and speakers. You really need to do both because the stock amp filters the frequencies to each of the 10 speakers in the system, i.e. it has built in crossovers. Your new speakers will have separate crossovers.

"Legally" you can connect your new speakers to the old amp, but the crossover points for your new speakers will likely not match that of the factory crossover points built into the amp.

I have a website (http://www.jvrconsulting.com/bmwsite/bmwmain.htm) out there with information about an upgrade I did to my 1999 528i. Everything you need to know before you embark on this project. All of that equipment is now installed in my 530 except the rear speakers. I retained the factory mid-bass drivers and used my amp to filter the frequencies so they function as full range rear fill. I disconnected the tweeters located in the rear doors.