PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should I match-paint my X3?

ProcyonB
12-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Just wondering -- I posted the poll on the GAF but it didn't get many responses.

JetBlack330i
12-21-2004, 10:47 AM
There is no amount of paint that will fix the looks of the interior plastic. :dunno:

motordavid
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
What kind of paint are you planning to shoot on that plastic cladding?
Wondering how they're gonna prep surface and make it stick?
Pro job? Did they give you quote and ideas on paint type?
BR,md

Mr. The Edge
12-21-2004, 12:24 PM
I actually saw one today that was painted and it looked good

Dr. Phil
12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Pics :dunno: :tsk: :p

SARAFIL
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Pics :dunno: :tsk: :p

You can not paint the stock bumpers. Paint will not adhere to this surface over a long term, and it WILL peel.

In order to paint the lower cladding, you must install the BMW Aerodynamic Package.

SARAFIL
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM

My boss is currently driving an Alpine White X3 with the Aero Kit, and it looks surprisingly good.

Mr. The Edge
12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
it may have been the aero package

Dr. Phil
12-21-2004, 06:44 PM
You can not paint the stock bumpers. Paint will not adhere to this surface over a long term, and it WILL peel.

In order to paint the lower cladding, you must install the BMW Aerodynamic Package.
But the replacement bumpers call for paint :confused: Why :dunno: I also know that the front pieces have to be painted when replaced (body shop confirmed for me - no I do not need a new front bumper).

SARAFIL
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
But the replacement bumpers call for paint :confused: Why :dunno: I also know that the front pieces have to be painted when replaced (body shop confirmed for me - no I do not need a new front bumper).

The only part that needs to be painted is the trim piece that is directly below the front headlights and grille. It looks like a seperate piece, but it is part of the bumper. The rest is not (and can not be) painted.

Dr. Phil
12-21-2004, 07:07 PM
The only part that needs to be painted is the trim piece that is directly below the front headlights and grille. It looks like a seperate piece, but it is part of the bumper. The rest is not (and can not be) painted.
I got paid for bumper replacement (rear), 2.5 hours paint time and regular time to mount from my rear end tap the other week. The bumper cover was $525 but with tax, paint and labor it was $935 total and the insurance paid without blinking.

SARAFIL
12-21-2004, 07:15 PM
I got paid for bumper replacement (rear), 2.5 hours paint time and regular time to mount from my rear end tap the other week. The bumper cover was $525 but with tax, paint and labor it was $935 total and the insurance paid without blinking.

You got in an accident? How did I miss this one?

Was the tailgate damaged? How about the rear fenders? There's nothing on the rear bumper that can be painted... :dunno:

Dr. Phil
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
You got in an accident? How did I miss this one?

Was the tailgate damaged? How about the rear fenders? There's nothing on the rear bumper that can be painted... :dunno:

I got a love tap.....two little scratches. They want to replace and PAINT the whole thing 3.6 hours paint time :confused:

ProcyonB
12-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Thanks -- oddly enough though the N.Scottsdale dealer said they will paint it for $1700. What does the aero kit cost? I saw one painted (maybe it was the aero kit) and it looked sharp.

MPoWeRMAN
12-27-2004, 08:50 AM
I just got an 05 alpine white and had all of the black painted white, the side and the back bumper, it is paintable, and the paint will adhere if they are prepped correctly, i also bought the front bumper from the aero kit for about $450, no need for the whole kit, the car looks great, i can send you pics to your e-mail but i cant seem to figure out how to post pics here

TOOBER1
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
step up the the plate...get the aero kit...other wise its cheap!

sfca-325i
12-31-2004, 11:03 AM
i can send you pics to your e-mail but i cant seem to figure out how to post pics here

When you reply, there is a section below the reply box entitled Additional Options. You want to select Managed Attachments under Attach Files. You can attach .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .pdf and.png files. IIRC, when you attach the picture files, a thumbnail will appear on your post. A reader can click on the thumbnail to get the full pic.

John Kjos
01-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I saw a Titanium Silver X3 at North Scottsdale BMW with the Aero Kit installed. It was heads and tails more attractive than the others. Hamann also makes an aero kit but it is more expensive. I'm going to install the aero kit soon on our brand new titanium silver X3.

John Kjos (1st post here)...hope it works.

pshire
03-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I just got an 05 alpine white and had all of the black painted white, the side and the back bumper, it is paintable, and the paint will adhere if they are prepped correctly, i also bought the front bumper from the aero kit for about $450, no need for the whole kit, the car looks great, i can send you pics to your e-mail but i cant seem to figure out how to post pics here

I especially like your plan since I got a full aero kit quote of $4500 for parts/labor and paint - i've been thinking of getting thea aero front and aero rear bumpers and have the side trim painted. $450 is not bad for the front part. However, did the front bumper line up with the original front fender trim area over the wheel wells? If you don't mind - what was the secret to the preparation? Who did it - i'm in san diego. thanks pshire2@yahoo.com