PDA

View Full Version : My one year anniversary

jvheitz
12-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Hello all,

I have been lurking this site for quite a while and finally am getting around to post a message (actually my second)
First, I would like to thank all of you for a being such a HUGE resource of info on my car - I have learned a great deal over the past year by searching thru the various posts.

I have had my 04 530 for 1 year now and felt I should share my experience with you all:

I know there has been a lot of controversy over the styling, but I love it. This car looks great.
So far I have had no problems with handling or performance (I have occasionally exceeded the speed limit. ;) )

Not everything was as expected:
Bluetooth - Thought I would get it, then thought I could get retrofit, then found out I could not. Wound up getting the CPT9000 installed in 02/04. That took 3 trips to my dealer, as software could not be updated, problems programming phone, etc. I was driving a Mazda (dealer loaner) for almost a week while they tried to figure out the phone.

NAV - I was told NAV would be available, then told only as a retrofit. Then told no retrofit for my car - I do not have NAV prep. I still cant tell if I can get it or not (12/03 production). I gave up about 4 months ago.

I-Drive - I love the I-Drive interface (I am very tech savvy and love this kind of stuff) but could we please test the software BEFORE we release it? I have had quite a few problems resulting from software updates. It seems my car will never be 100% since every update will fix some things, but cause new problems.

Cup holders - Could they use a better quality cupholder? My drivers cupholder would not open after 3 months, passenger side followed 2 months later. BMW did replace at no cost, but it is still an inconvenience.

All of these are simply annoyances, and overall I absolutely love my car.

Here is the major problem:
The drivers seat heater almost burned through the leather! It was only on for a few seconds, I turned it off immediately. When I got home (it was late) I searched the board to see if anyone else had this problem. I find out here that a recall had been issued. I called my dealer the next day, and they said they were aware of the problem and scheduled service (2 weeks from now). Now here is my problem: my dealer had the car just days before for misc. issues (oil change, oil low warning on i-drive even though dipstick showed full, cup holder). Why wasn't this taken care of then, BEFORE my seat started burning? Now I have to bring the car back in for service again..
What bothers me most is that this is a serious problem, recalled BEFORE my service, and I had to find out about a recall on this board!

After reading this post, you may think I am not happy, but these are my "issues" with the car. Overall, I am very pleased with the car, and look forward to many more years of driving pleasure.

Once again, thank you all for providing such extensive knowledge to those of us who need it.

Thanks,
James

markseven
12-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi James,

Your story makes me think twice about purchasing a new bimmer. Dismal customer service from BMW seems to be the rule, not the exception... when it's time to buy a new car, we'll probably look at A6's or an E Class. The level of service we received from the Benz dealership was very good. I'd love to get a E60, but I don't think I could handle the level of frustration :banghead: that would be part of that package.

-Mark

Love530
12-22-2004, 06:32 AM
I've had my e60 for 13 months now and still love it. I've had a few "issues" with mine as well, except for the heat seat problem, ouch! The overall performance of the vehicle as well as the sheer enjoyment I get from driving it each day outweigh the small annoyances that come with a first-year style change. My service experience with the local Bimmer dealership has been very good and the issues are usually taken care of in one visit, save for the active headlight failure I experienced a few months ago. Having owned an e39 and now the 60, I have to say that I love the UDM and will continue to own one for years to come.