PDA

View Full Version : 528i engine swap for a 2004 M3

McMannusBMW
12-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I saw this auction on ebay,

M3 Engine [/URL]

and I was wondering if anyone here has done an engine swap on their 5-er and if it's possible for me to swap my 528i engine for this M3 engine.

Ågent99
12-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Of course it is possible! The real question is, do you have folks who know how to reprogram the computers and whatnot?? THAT is where the real headaches lie along with all the little gizmos and attachments that make putting in hoses and wires and clips and everything else fit.

It will be very expensive and very time consuming and frustrating all the way I'm sure.

dagoo98
12-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Just make sure that you don't buy the engine with the recall for the faulty parts. I think that's 01-02. The owners of these cars have warranties until 100,000 miles that will save them from paying what would probably be a $5000 bill. I've heard of people with 50,000 miles that had to have this procedure done twice.

Kaz
12-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Of course it is possible! The real question is, do you have folks who know how to reprogram the computers and whatnot?? THAT is where the real headaches lie along with all the little gizmos and attachments that make putting in hoses and wires and clips and everything else fit.

It will be very expensive and very time consuming and frustrating all the way I'm sure.

Yeah. Anything is possible with the right knowhow and money. I'd start from the difference in the throttle. I assume the M52TU E39s are the same as E46s in that they have quasi-DBW, not the full-on EML tht M54 and S54 E46 cars have. Maybe S54 M coupes and roadsters have the old-style throttle... Well, you get my drift.

BMW528i_Bilal
01-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Can The Conversion Be Done With Automatic Transmission Too?

liuk3
01-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to put a turbo kit on the car?

Kaz
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Sure, see if Art Carr beefs up ZFs. Or put in an automatic from a 750. Then you'll have to find someone that can get the AT's ECU to talk to a S54's DME which was probably never made to work with an AT.

mottati
01-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Why not just swap an smg too, as long as you're going to invest a bunch of time and money!

A much more realistic swap would be an e36 3.2L engine (assuming we're talking US spec) then you could also retain the auto, most likely. (then add a turbo or s/c to that!)
mike

liuk3
01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Why not just swap an smg too, as long as you're going to invest a bunch of time and money!

A much more realistic swap would be an e36 3.2L engine (assuming we're talking US spec) then you could also retain the auto, most likely. (then add a turbo or s/c to that!)
mike

Smarter thing is to do what you did and trade the 528 for an M5! It was good seeing you at Infineon and having you as my instructor. Thanks for the rides in your beast on the track. :thumbup:

mottati
01-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Smarter thing is to do what you did and trade the 528 for an M5! It was good seeing you at Infineon and having you as my instructor. Thanks for the rides in your beast on the track. :thumbup:

Are you going to be at infineon in march?
Mike