PDA

View Full Version : What to do with brand new X5 (Jet Black)?

Interactive
12-22-2004, 08:21 AM
We just picked up our first BMW on Friday, a brand spanking new X5 3.0 in Black with the truffel brown leather. Awesome ride and my wife gets to drive it....I already can't wait for my next BMW (which will be a 3 or 5 series sedan for me!)

Anyway, to my point here: The dealer offered some type of sealant for the paint as we were finalizing the financing. Frankly, this was the first I had heard of this (the sales person hadn't mentioned it to me prior) so I didn't really know what to do. Of course, the finance woman couldn't really answer any questions about it so I decided to pass. Unlike many of you on this forum, my wife will want to take this thing to our local car wash. They have what seem to be fairly soft cloth rotating cleaning elements and high pressure spray. Is there something I can do now (before the X5 has been washed outside of the dealership) that can prevent any marks/scratches on the car? Should I have done the paint treatment service? I'm totally paranoid about this Black finish and want to preserve it's look but frankly, we're probably not willing to commit the time to regular hand washing. What's the best way to prevent problems?

EdCT
12-22-2004, 08:49 AM
We just picked up our first BMW on Friday, a brand spanking new X5 3.0 in Black with the truffel brown leather. Awesome ride and my wife gets to drive it....I already can't wait for my next BMW (which will be a 3 or 5 series sedan for me!)

Anyway, to my point here: The dealer offered some type of sealant for the paint as we were finalizing the financing. Frankly, this was the first I had heard of this (the sales person hadn't mentioned it to me prior) so I didn't really know what to do. Of course, the finance woman couldn't really answer any questions about it so I decided to pass. Unlike many of you on this forum, my wife will want to take this thing to our local car wash. They have what seem to be fairly soft cloth rotating cleaning elements and high pressure spray. Is there something I can do now (before the X5 has been washed outside of the dealership) that can prevent any marks/scratches on the car? Should I have done the paint treatment service? I'm totally paranoid about this Black finish and want to preserve it's look but frankly, we're probably not willing to commit the time to regular hand washing. What's the best way to prevent problems?

Pay someone to hand wash it.

I've had a jet black 323 for four years now and aside from a few stone chips, it's perfect, no swirls, scratches etc. I've posted pics of its latest detailing somewhere here a week or so ago.

I hand wash it with a soft lambs wool hand mitt and dry it with a fine white 100 per cent cotton towel.

It's the only way....

There's nothing you can "seal" the car with to prevent the local (gasp) car wash from destroying that beautiful black finish.

Sorry to bring you the bad news.

Ed

BahnBaum
12-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Unlike many of you on this forum, my wife will want to take this thing to our local car wash. They have what seem to be fairly soft cloth rotating cleaning elements and high pressure spray. Is there something I can do now (before the X5 has been washed outside of the dealership) that can prevent any marks/scratches on the car?

I agree with Ed. If you use any car wash that touches your car with any sort of brush, you're going to end up with swirls. No ifs ands or buts.

If you can't wash by hand, you may want to find a touch free car wash, preferably one without wheel guides.

Alex

Interactive
12-22-2004, 08:59 AM
I thought you guys would say that! I wonder if there are any hand wash places around here?? (N. Texas/Collin County area)

What are your thoughts on that sealant the dealer was talking about?

jvr826
12-22-2004, 09:03 AM
You want to avoid that car wash at all costs. Anything that touches your paint will cause scratches, and having a black finish will amplify the effect in a big way. Black paint requires extra care to keep it looking good.

Those "fairly soft cloth rotating cleaning elements" pickup dirt and grit from every car that goes thru there, and frankly so do the drying cloths they guys in the lot use to get what the blowers missed. Do you want your nice black BMW following a Ford F350 that was out in the mud all weekend? I think not. You may as well get the belt sander out and cut it loose on your paint.

The only way is to hand wash, keep a good coat of "wax" on it, and keep it out of the sun.

BahnBaum
12-22-2004, 09:03 AM
I thought you guys would say that! I wonder if there are any hand wash places around here?? (N. Texas/Collin County area)

What are your thoughts on that sealant the dealer was talking about?You're subject to the same swirls with handwashing, unless you specifically deal with people who absolutely know what they're doing. I won't even let my dealership do a complimentary hand wash when I take the car in for service. If you can't handwash yourself, I still really recommend a touchless car wash.

And the dealer sealants are a ripoff, you can do the same thing yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Alex

LmtdSlip
12-22-2004, 09:05 AM
What are your thoughts on that sealant the dealer was talking about?

Dealer profit builder. You dont need it.

Proper washing and waxing is all you need to keep your truck looking great.

You can check the detail forum for all the info you need. Just be warned once you go in there you may never return. And your friends may question your sanity for your obsessive car washing ritual.

Interactive
12-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Ok, assuming I decide to handle the washing myself, is there a single brand of car wash soap,/wax/polish etc that I can rely on? I'd like to just get on the web and buy a "kit" of the several items I'm going to need.

What's everyone using for a Chamois these days? Or are people using the blades?

BahnBaum
12-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok, assuming I decide to handle the washing myself, is there a single brand of car wash soap,/wax/polish etc that I can rely on? I'd like to just get on the web and buy a "kit" of the several items I'm going to need.

What's everyone using for a Chamois these days? Or are people using the blades?
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/peshki.html

And for a drying solution, I highly recommend a double waffle weave drying towel. Much better than a chamois or blade, IMO.

If you're getting started with detailing, autopia.org is an awesome resource. Great forums with lots of information, and a bunch of people who love helping newbs.

Alex

Interactive
12-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Alex. I just checked out their site....very nice. I also sent them some questions about some stains I have on my other car. I'll probably buy one of their kits and get started on my own with the X5.