PDA

View Full Version : E60 heated seats burns through seat and jacket

3PUTT
12-22-2004, 08:33 AM
this just in....

my father just rushed his 2004 BMW 530i to the dealership after the heated seats burned thought his seat and his leather jacket. the cabin filled with smoke.

what can i do to get BMW to replace the entire car with the same or even better model? the car will only be a year old in 12/31/04 and it has 7000 miles.

BahnBaum
12-22-2004, 09:17 AM
this just in....

my father just rushed his 2004 BMW 530i to the dealership after the heated seats burned thought his seat and his leather jacket. the cabin filled with smoke.

what can i do to get BMW to replace the entire car with the same or even better model? the car will only be a year old in 12/31/04 and it has 7000 miles.You could take a nice nap and dream away.... :D

Alex

Ågent99
12-22-2004, 09:31 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80264

You aren't alone. Don't go too nuts with what you ask for but I can see how one could get VERY STEAMED at BMW when demanding a fix.

I would ask for a new leather jacket and perhaps to either replace anything in the interior that smells of smoke or have it professionally cleaned. There are companies out there that specialize in smoke-removal cleaning. Of course, this will all be on BMW's dime.

I can't wait for this to hit the news. What will happen if a fire in your car causes a fatality of some kind? Lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit....

BMW should be bending over backwards to fix this serious problem.

dagoo98
12-22-2004, 11:04 AM
This problem is getting worse and worse. Everyday I hear a new horror story about seats getting a hole burned in them. With the winter just starting these complaints are just starting. I hope BMW comes up with a solution fast because the complaints are only going to multipy exponentially over the next few months. I love my heated seats, I'm so happy they don't burn a hole in my seats. Yet another reason to not buy a Bangle BMW. :thumbup:

04E46
12-22-2004, 11:26 AM
I think if I would start to sweat so badly that I would turn it off before i caught on fire. DOH!

Alex Baumann
12-23-2004, 04:09 AM
There's an official recall in Germany at the moment. Owners are receiving a letter from the HQ.

vern
12-23-2004, 06:56 AM
This problem is getting worse and worse. Everyday I hear a new horror story about seats getting a hole burned in them. With the winter just starting these complaints are just starting. I hope BMW comes up with a solution fast because the complaints are only going to multipy exponentially over the next few months. I love my heated seats, I'm so happy they don't burn a hole in my seats. Yet another reason to not buy a Bangle BMW. :thumbup:
Maybe I'm a little bit dense,but what does Bangle have to do with a faulty seat heater???
vern

Ågent99
12-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Vern,

I think dagoo98 meant that it is the newer E60 that has this burning seat issue and not the older E39.... :)

bobby13
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Interesting, I just called my dealer and asked about this problem and they said they never heard of it. My 2004 E60 has sport seats and they sure get hot. I gues the next stop is BMWNA. The Service Dept. did however, know about the "Voluntary Emissions Recall" that I received notice on, and they said they would have to keep my car for 2-3 days. Jeez, it's only a software update. Has anyone had this recall done, and how long did it take ?

jvr826
12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
I use my heated seat every time I'm in the car, cold or not, it's great for soothing a sore back. I'd never have a car without this feature.

With that said, it's pretty sad that E60 owners have to suffer from this dangerous situation. I remember when E39's were burning up due to faulty aux fans. Some of the images shared of torched garages were shocking.

This can't be good for the already tarnished quality figures of the 5 series since the E60 came out.

LondonBlue
12-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Interesting, I just called my dealer and asked about this problem and they said they never heard of it. My 2004 E60 has sport seats and they sure get hot. I gues the next stop is BMWNA. The Service Dept. did however, know about the "Voluntary Emissions Recall" that I received notice on, and they said they would have to keep my car for 2-3 days. Jeez, it's only a software update. Has anyone had this recall done, and how long did it take ?

Bobby - I had this 2004 voluntary emmissions recall done a couple months ago. THe dealer told me it would take about 3 hours. It ended up taking a couple days. Apparently, some new E60s "take" the recall better than others. I think what happened was I opened the backseat door to get something from the car a few times and that is why it took longer.

I am in Indiana and haven't used the heated seats yet. I am kind of worried now. Car has been in garage since Tuesday due to snow downfall here and I was hoping to take the car out once the roads cleared up on Monday. I guess I'll see how it goes then. Sucks that I can't drive this car when the weather is bad unless I get the snow tires. My husband heard that an all wheel drive 5 series will be coming out in the US in 2006. I will definitely trade in for that.

Jamila

bobby13
12-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info Jamila, I guess I'll have to leave the car for however long it takes. It probably won't pass inspection without the upgrade.

dagoo98
12-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Vern,

I think dagoo98 meant that it is the newer E60 that has this burning seat issue and not the older E39.... :)

Thanks for translating for me.

LondonBlue
12-27-2004, 07:43 PM
I did not take my 2004 530i out today, so I don't know yet if I have the seat burning problem.

I called my BMW service guy this morning and he said he has not heard of any recall for burning seats. So then I called the BMW customer service. They told me there is no official recall - just a recall of those cars of which the seats have burned. They asked for my VIN and said nothing is listed for this car and that the only way anyone will know if i have the problem is if the problem occurs.

joea9146
12-28-2004, 04:35 AM
My Wifes car was just in for Service last week and the dealer told us about the issue. Had to wait an extra day for the parts to arrive so they could address the problem. I do not think its an official recall but more of a TSB

Mr Hyde
01-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Just a heads up, according to todays paper, there is an official recall out now for 5 and 7 series models built from 2/03 through 6/04 for this very problem.

Hoya Saxa
01-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Just a heads up, according to todays paper, there is an official recall out now for 5 and 7 series models built from 2/03 through 6/04 for this very problem.

Which paper? I'm in DC and didn't see anything in today's Post. Or in the DC edition of the NYT. Can you post a link?

Thanks,

Hoya

Mr Hyde
01-08-2005, 07:24 PM
This was on the front page of the automotive section of New York Newsday yesterday; sorry I dont have a link.

JetBlack330i
01-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Holy crap.

Reason #37 not to get heated seats. (or not to buy BMW's. :eek: )
You have that many reasons against heated seats?
Do you consider them a gimmick? :p :rofl:

dsheli
01-08-2005, 09:37 PM
That is just another reason why BMW should throw out the current 5 series design. I mean the car is just ugly. They better not blow it on the 3 series.

HFPST5
01-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info Jamila, I guess I'll have to leave the car for however long it takes. It probably won't pass inspection without the upgrade.

Our e60 went in for Emissions, it was taken care of w/in a day. Good luck w/ you and your car.

HFPST5
01-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Oh, and please keep us updated on this case. (what did the dealership do & is BMW taking action)

Love530
01-10-2005, 06:10 AM
I dropped my e60 off at the dealership this morning for the recall and my SA told me that they are making"modifications" to the side bolster heating element. Guess that's tech speak for turning it off!

Ågent99
01-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I would guess that they have some kind of a fault in the current-detection circuitry that is feeding the heating element. It could be a weak component (perhaps a poorly chosen resistor or comparator) or something like that.

quad
01-11-2005, 12:20 PM
There is a formal recall on the seats. It's Recall Campaign No. 04V-575: Seating Systems.
The letter recommends 5 precautions, the second of which reads, "2. Do not switch on the driver's or front passenger's seat heating system until you have had this repair performed."
Sounds like the butt warmer is really a butt burner!

Ågent99
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
:rofl: THAT is the second precaution??? I would have thought that to be NUMBER ONE!!!! :lmao:

quad
01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Didn't mean to keep you on the edge of your seat, so to speak :D

Item 1 is all in caps: CONTACT YOU AUTHORIZED BMW CENTER IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPAIR PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Item 3 tells you to pull over if you "inadvertently" switch on the system and it starts burning.

Item 4 advises you to wear a seat belt, and make sure everyone else does, too. (The lawyers just can't resist.) :rolleyes:

Item 5 asks you to notify all other drivers of the car and passengers of "this important information."

craigt-from-atl
01-14-2005, 07:27 AM
My seats were fixed over the past two days.(also performed software update) They fixed both front seats. Some component inside the seats was faulty.

My service advisor said of all the cars she's seen, only one didn't need to be fixed. My build date was 11/03.

johny utah
07-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Please help!!
I am located in San Juan, Puerto Rico and i received the recall letter regarding the seat heater. My question is it BMW's responsibility to repair the seat if it has a hole in it? Also, do they repair or replace the seat?

SpeedFreak!
07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Please help!!
I am located in San Juan, Puerto Rico and i received the recall letter regarding the seat heater. My question is it BMW's responsibility to repair the seat if it has a hole in it? Also, do they repair or replace the seat?

GREAT use of the search feature... BRAVO! :thumbup:

In all likelihood... they will repair your seat... which could and likely would involve replacing certain parts. If the defect caused the hole in your seat... then they will probably replace the skins... but not the entire seat. Unless... they determine that it would be cheaper to do it another way. :D

Good Luck!