PDA

View Full Version : X3 clear bra

sonicf
12-27-2004, 09:33 PM
I did the clear bra as a last minute adder at $495 just before i took delivery of my X3. I know i paid too much, but that's not my real problem. The dealer did not cover the painted section above the bumper around the lights and grill. they say it wouldn't go over all of the curves (it would peel) and that since that section is plastic it won't chip anyway. does this make sense?

BahnBaum
12-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I did the clear bra as a last minute adder at $495 just before i took delivery of my X3. I know i paid too much, but that's not my real problem. The dealer did not cover the painted section above the bumper around the lights and grill. they say it wouldn't go over all of the curves (it would peel) and that since that section is plastic it won't chip anyway. does this make sense?Only if it's an inexperienced installer putting on a subpar kit. Did you know specifically what the clear bra would cover before you bought it?

The installation I have on my M3, as well as many others that I've seen, have had no problem covering all sorts of compound curves and corners. But most of these quality installs cost significantly more than $495.

Alex

Mr. The Edge
12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
i doubt the X3 is more curvy than my car, and my clearbra installation looks great

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41928

sonicf
12-28-2004, 07:28 AM
I did it over the phone and just assumed that as he rattled on about what it covered he was saying "front of car". my fault. dealer has a picture of X5 install showing this section not covered. as far as quality of install, (it was the dealer). it is not great - the front hood section has a couple of delams at the edge where it looks like the plastic wasn't trimmed smoothly.

sfca-325i
12-28-2004, 10:01 AM
The clear bra on my X3 includes coverage of the piece you describe.

Here's a picture of the pieces from my install:

sonicf
12-28-2004, 01:34 PM
The clear bra on my X3 includes coverage of the piece you describe.

Here's a picture of the pieces from my install:

Who did it for you and what was the cost? My package included cover on the headlights and the back of the mirrors.

sfca-325i
12-28-2004, 04:03 PM
A company named Invisiguard installed the clear mask on the X3. They use LLumar film manufactured by CPFilms, Inc. It has a lifetime warranty for the original vehicle owner and the warranty covers cracking, peeling, bubling or turning yellow. IIRC, the pieces that cover the body and the mirror are 6 mil thick and the headlight covers are 30 mil thick (you can really tell the difference in thickness). Cost was around $450.