PDA

View Full Version : Pics of your vehicles finishes are amazing - How long and how often?

trikerider
12-28-2004, 05:12 AM
I've seen some pics from this group and the finishes are absolutely amazing. Just how long does this take? Like, how many hours per day and how many days per week? (I'm guessing you guys are all retired)

#750 :)

BahnBaum
12-28-2004, 06:30 AM
I've seen some pics from this group and the finishes are absolutely amazing. Just how long does this take? Like, how many hours per day and how many days per week? (I'm guessing you guys are all retired)

#750 :)I usually hand wash my car every other week, or if it becomes dirty, maybe more often. I do my full finish detail when needed, which looks to be every 6 - 8 months.

Alex

The Roadstergal
12-28-2004, 10:12 AM
I usually hand wash my car every other week, or if it becomes dirty, maybe more often. I do my full finish detail when needed, which looks to be every 6 - 8 months.

Eeek, we have the same schedule.

When I detail, I strip the wax, remove any tar or other crap that isn't coming off with regular washing, take off the wheels and clean them, and wax. Usual wash takes maybe 20 minutes; detail takes 3 or 4 hours.

johnnygraphic
12-28-2004, 10:53 PM
YIKES!!! I'm WAY behind the curve at this point. Maybe it's my OCD, but, from start to finish for a wash only is about 3 hours. Wheels and tires (30 minutes alone), then exterior, then dry. Then I go after drying all of the dripping bits, the door jambs, vacuum, interior & glass.

I did a 4 step wash/polish & wax on my 4-Runner this past weekend. Total of about 14 hours? Wash, Intensive Polish, Final Polish, Deep Cleansing Lotion, Wax, black trim pieces, interior & glass.

Johnny

Spectre
12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm with you Johnny - a plain wash takes me a couple of hours at least. That's partially because I'm a bit OCD about rinsing the lambskin wash mitt after using it on each small section of the car. May have to look at a boar's hair brush to speed up the effort. :)

Test_Engineer
12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Wash about every other week. Takes about 1 hr. Good wax speeds the cleaning process.

Full detail.. Clay, polish, polish, glaze, wax, interior..... about 13-14hrs. I do this about every 6 months (spring and fall).

Who you calling retired? I'm only 28, I just have a real fetish for fine automobiles.

FenPhen
12-30-2004, 02:09 PM
YIKES!!! I'm WAY behind the curve at this point. Maybe it's my OCD, but, from start to finish for a wash only is about 3 hours. Wheels and tires (30 minutes alone), then exterior, then dry.Same here. :(

I'm both thorough and slow. :eeps: ;) (Hey, it started out as "how long and how often.")

NH-SHICKS
12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
I use the Klasse Tiwns, it's like teflon for your paint. I wash about once a week or so. Full detail every six months somtimes more depends how much free time I have.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990photos_365.jpg

trikerider
12-30-2004, 04:03 PM
You guys ever think about holding seminars? I'd go. Class of 5 to 10 people drive out and meet up somewhere - school parking lot or similarly accommodating site during summer break. Cost of the seminar might include OCD’s preference of various wash/wax/finish solutions, clay bar, and rental of a massive tank of water, generator, and pump . . . or some other solution.

Then you guys take us newbies through the process from start to finish over a weekend.

In the end, we’ve all got spiffy cars and we hire a professional photographer to capture the event.

Plus there'd be lots of beer.

#750 (okay, somebody set this up and let me know when it happens . . . then send me check . . . since, you know, it was my idea and all :))

NH-SHICKS
12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
You guys ever think about holding seminars? I'd go. Class of 5 to 10 people drive out and meet up somewhere - school parking lot or similarly accommodating site during summer break. Cost of the seminar might include OCD’s preference of various wash/wax/finish solutions, clay bar, and rental of a massive tank of water, generator, and pump . . . or some other solution.

Then you guys take us newbies through the process from start to finish over a weekend.

In the end, we’ve all got spiffy cars and we hire a professional photographer to capture the event.

Plus there'd be lots of beer.

#750 (okay, somebody set this up and let me know when it happens . . . then send me check . . . since, you know, it was my idea and all :))

The best way to learn is by trying, its pretty hard to mess up with today's good products and paint finishes.

This is a great place to start http://www.autopia.org/

If you have any specific questions regarding products or techniques, just ask.

Steve

alee
12-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Keeping the car wiped down between drives helps keep it looking good. When my car was a daily driver, I washed it once a week, cleaned the wheels every 2 days except when it rained. An average detail session for me takes about 5-7 hrs.

johnnygraphic
01-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I do have to add that once a week washing is a very good preventative maintenance step to keeping everything clean. You do have to start with a clean car, good wax/sealer etc and go from there.

The hardest thing are the wheels (do they really have to have all those spokes/grooves?) and chasing all of the water in the trunk and the door jams. I'm usually walking the car for the next 45 minutes or so wiping up after the car is finished.

I do have to say, invest in good wash mitts/drying towels/detail towels etc. Once I detailed my car, I have never seen a single scratch, swirl mark caused by a sub par wash sponge or drying towel. I got mine from properautocare.com. Any good quality set will get you going. And NEVER get lazy and go to a car wash! You might be pressed for time, but, think of how long it will take you to polish all those swirl marks out of your car, not to mention how steamed you'll be after you see it.

Invite a fellow OCD-er, pop a beer, wine or whatever and go to it! You'll learn the curves of the car and all the nooks and crannies! What a terrific way to bond with your car!

Johnny

BahnBaum
01-01-2005, 04:23 AM
What a terrific way to bond with your car!
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I understand completely what you're saying. :D

Alex

johnnygraphic
01-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I understand completely what you're saying. :D

Alex

I must say that it is a ritual amongst men!

Johnny

Plaz
01-01-2005, 11:20 AM
I've seen some pics from this group and the finishes are absolutely amazing. Just how long does this take?

This only took about ten hours driving through a winter storm:

http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-01.jpg

EdCT
01-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Your poor car, weaned in southern Ca, is thoroughly disgusted with you about now :)

Ed

Plaz
01-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Your poor car, weaned in southern Ca, is thoroughly disgusted with you about now :)

Ed

Exactly. The worst of this happened in CT, BTW. :p

It got washed the first non-freezing day after Christmas (Tuesday).

johnnygraphic
01-01-2005, 01:48 PM
:cry: I would have wound up in an asylum somewhere if that happened after I washed my car...

EdCT
01-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Exactly. The worst of this happened in CT, BTW. :p

It got washed the first non-freezing day after Christmas (Tuesday).

The Merit, I84, I91, I95?

Ed

Plaz
01-01-2005, 04:42 PM
The Merit, I84, I91, I95?

Ed

84 and 684.

I wasn't going to take the Merritt in that mess. (Sunday's storm)

jetstream23
01-11-2005, 10:51 PM

http://plaz.net/plaz/3dirtyi-01.jpg

Uhhh....is there an "After" picture? The "Before" is kinda scary!

azurribaggio
01-24-2005, 12:57 AM
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/2756/221980542070alb8ro.jpghttp://img197.exs.cx/img197/7365/646280542070alb6ri.jpg http://img197.exs.cx/img197/787/587290542070alb0rh.jpg http://img197.exs.cx/img197/8434/400190542070alb9yr.jpg

Took me one alone just for the four wheels!!!! Used a foam paint brush from Home Depot (.39/each).
Then another hour and a half to wash and completely dry the entire car (drying the wheels are a chore as well).

But the results are amazing :)

Spectre
01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Took me one alone just for the four wheels!!!! Used a foam paint brush from Home Depot (.39/each).
Then another hour and a half to wash and completely dry the entire car (drying the wheels are a chore as well).

But the results are amazing :)Ooh, purty. Although the reflection around the fog lights makes the paint look faded in that area.

Now imagine how much time it would take to clay, polish, and triple wax the car. :yikes:

azurribaggio
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Ooh, purty. Although the reflection around the fog lights makes the paint look faded in that area.

Now imagine how much time it would take to clay, polish, and triple wax the car. :yikes:

3/4 of a day, don't forget the initial DAWN washing to remove all the oils and crap prior to claying, then washing again before waxing!