PDA

View Full Version : Cosmoline removal and naked paint

Lori
12-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone-

Does anyone know how to remove cosmoline. Is this something I should do myself?
My dealer usually follows removal of cosmoline with paint sealant. I don't want the sealant because I want to clay and wax the paint (JB) on my new M3 myself.
Is it ok for the car to have no sealant or wax on the paint for a couple weeks provided the car is stored in a garage?

Thank you sharing your knowledge with me,
-Lori

Test_Engineer
12-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Cosmoline is removed at port of entry, not at the dealer. If you think your car still has some remaining, use a citrus based cleaner. I would wash the car with diluted orange household cleaner and then follow it with dawn. Then continue with your own sealant process.

Lori
12-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Cosmoline is removed at port of entry, not at the dealer. If you think your car still has some remaining, use a citrus based cleaner. I would wash the car with diluted orange household cleaner and then follow it with dawn. Then continue with your own sealant process.

Thanks Test Engineer,
Would p-21s total auto wash be a good one to use for residual cosmoline?
Does the paint actually need a some kind of sealant prior to carnuba wax?
-Lori

Dr. Phil
12-31-2004, 04:45 AM
Thanks Test Engineer,
Would p-21s total auto wash be a good one to use for residual cosmoline?
Does the paint actually need a some kind of sealant prior to carnuba wax?
-Lori
The P21S total wash should do the trick. I have used it to finish stripping wax post dawn and it works wonderfully. To your second question as I know it NO.

BahnBaum
12-31-2004, 08:39 AM
You're not paying for the sealant are you? Don't think so, but just checking.

If it were me, I would require the dealer to do EVERYTHING that they usually do in prepping my car. Then, I would carefully inspect it upon delivery to ensure that it is absolutely perfect.

Once I get it home, I'd then do my detail routine. Even if they put some sort of sealant on it, it's going to be removed by your Dawn and clay, no problem.

But that's just me....

Alex

jetstream23
01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
What about the infamous "6 week wait" for the paint to cure? Or was it 3 months? Some people suggest that you not wax a new car for a certain period of time if your car was recently built (i.e. in the past 3 months). Any opinions on this? I am about to take delivery on a Jet Black car as well next week and I'm wondering what my 1 week, 1 month and 3 month care processes should be.

jetstream23
01-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Well, my Jet Black ride has arrived and I'm trying to come up with my first wash/detail plan. Any suggestions on when and what to do with a Jet Black car built in 11/2004 and that I've had for 3 days? Some people say that the paint needs to "cure" or "breathe" for a few weeks or months. :dunno:

I think I'm going to wait about 2 or 3 weeks and then do a Meguiar's routine on it..****** Class shampoo, Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (by hand), then probably two coats of Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba (by hand).

I was planning a Klasse AIO approach but I already have new bottles of all the Meguiar's stuff I mentioned.....any reason I shouldn't go with this approach? Should this provide adequate protection? FYI - its a low mileage car (about 10k per year max.) and is garage kept.

Thanks.

Artslinger
01-24-2005, 07:57 AM
What about the infamous "6 week wait" for the paint to cure? Or was it 3 months? Some people suggest that you not wax a new car for a certain period of time if your car was recently built (i.e. in the past 3 months). Any opinions on this? I am about to take delivery on a Jet Black car as well next week and I'm wondering what my 1 week, 1 month and 3 month care processes should be.

I believe the car is fully cured from the factory, when the car is repainted at a body shop then you need to follow their recommendation as far how long to wait before to detailing the paint surface.

jetstream23
01-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I believe the car is fully cured from the factory, when the car is repainted at a body shop then you need to follow their recommendation as far how long to wait before to detailing the paint surface.

Thanks. So no more excuses, huh? It can be done whenever I actually get around to it. :p