PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to clay a car after rain... newbie

oarnura
12-31-2004, 01:00 PM
I searched here and on autopia for the answer to this question. I just got the detailing bug and bought a bunch of stuff.

- Meguiars Gold Class wash
- Klasse twins
- Pinacle Souveran wax
- Costco MF towels
- Sonus Ultimate drying towel
- MF Applicators and sponges
- Pinacle crystal mist
- Clay Magic Kit
- Sonus clay.

I have a 4 month old '04 Black Saphire 325i. I know the work involved in detailing a black car. So I decided to first work on my 4 year old Jetta which has only seen touchless car washes and is chipped scratched and dented.

So I washed the Jetta and started to clay the hood and had to take my wife to the doctor.
So I left the jetta parked outside (bimmer is the garage queen,,, live in an apartment with 1 car garage). It rained all day and night over two days.

Today there is a break in the rain. Is it ok to resume claying or do I have to rewash the car?

I want to AIO and SG the Jetta to get used to the proccess. I am new to waxing and detailing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex Baumann
12-31-2004, 01:08 PM
It's always recommended to wash the entire car prior to claying. You don't want dust, mud or anything on the car before rubbing the clay bar on the paint.

So wash it !

oarnura
12-31-2004, 01:19 PM
It's always recommended to wash the entire car prior to claying. You don't want dust, mud or anything on the car before rubbing the clay bar on the paint.

So wash it !

Thanks Alex. That was quick... Off I go.:)

Alex Baumann
12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks Alex. That was quick... Off I go.:)

Have fun ! :)

Don't forget, less is more. Apply always thin coats, this way you won't waste product and removal will be easy. :thumbup:

oarnura
12-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Have fun ! :)

Don't forget, less is more. Apply always thin coats, this way you won't waste product and removal will be easy. :thumbup:

Just got done. My first full wash and wax ever.

I washed with dawn, clayed the car, There was about 4 years of junk and I used up the whole bar but didn't get everything out.

AIO didn't seem to make too much difference, I guess my paint isn't oxidized. I used the WOWO method for the SG or some variation of it (probably mixed something up in my head).

The SG didn't seem to make much difference in the gloss department either but was easy to get off. The AIO +SG did cover up many scratches though.

I brought the Jetta into the garage so the SG can cure. It just got overcast and is going to rain.

Of course there was no sunlight so maybe that's why I couldn't tell the difference. But this car has so many blemishes like stone chips, scratches, swirls and dents and the SG seems to be hiding some and amplifying the others.

Anyway when the sun comes up I'll get some after shots.

BahnBaum
12-31-2004, 10:17 PM
AIO didn't seem to make too much difference, I guess my paint isn't oxidized. Did you use a PC or do the AIO by hand? If you're not happy with the results, and you did it by hand, you may want to try it next time with a PC and a not very aggressive pad. I've always been able to tell a significant difference after applying AIO, even on paint in great condition.

Alex

johnnygraphic
12-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Oarnura-

If the Jetta's paint is a little on the rough side (swirls, scratches etc), you'll probably need to use a mild abrasive polish to get the scratches swirl marks out along with a porter cable random orbital buffer. It is an excellent tool if you're serious about detailing your car and is very user friendly. The Souveran Wax won't hide any of those swirl marks. You'll need to get a good glaze (which you do), however, it isn't a magic solution. Best to spend some time and remember to be patient. A helping hand is also great!

Check out some of the other posts and search for Porter Cable or polish. You'll get a lot of info. Also, at properautocare.com they have some pretty cool 'how to' sections on their site. I'm sure the other site would too (autopia etc).

Good luck with your 2 black cars!!!

johnny

oarnura
12-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Did you use a PC or do the AIO by hand? If you're not happy with the results, and you did it by hand, you may want to try it next time with a PC and a not very aggressive pad.

I did it by hand. I just got started and am still learning so I decided to wait to get a PC. The bimmer is new and from what I read it is going show swirls easily because it is black. It already has from the first wash I think.

So a PC might be a good thing. I already spent a lot of $$ on all this stuff. The problem is I get into these fads and buy tonnes of stuff and don't pursue it. :rolleyes:

I will seriously consider it when I become a more obsessive detailer. I am sure with all your support I am on my way already. :D

oarnura
12-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Oarnura-

Good luck with your 2 black cars!!!

johnny

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was seriously considering a PC. I have read this detail section and Autopia for a month now and my head is spinning. So I decided to get all this stuff and get started.

I tried AIO on a friend's 10 year old maxima and learnt how much paint prep matters and also got technique to use AIO down. So I decided to clay my Jetta to prep the paint.

I want to get the hand method down before I touch the bimmer's new paint.

The jetta was my first car ever and over the years I am learning about car maintainence . The jetta's paint is severly rock chipped and has a nice dent and in the rear right quarter panel and and rear passenger door has scratches and the paint is chipped. The wife and the garage met the jetta there. :(

The paint on the jetta is green BTW.

johnnygraphic
01-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was seriously considering a PC. I have read this detail section and Autopia for a month now and my head is spinning. So I decided to get all this stuff and get started.

I tried AIO on a friend's 10 year old maxima and learnt how much paint prep matters and also got technique to use AIO down. So I decided to clay my Jetta to prep the paint.

I want to get the hand method down before I touch the bimmer's new paint.

The jetta was my first car ever and over the years I am learning about car maintainence . The jetta's paint is severly rock chipped and has a nice dent and in the rear right quarter panel and and rear passenger door has scratches and the paint is chipped. The wife and the garage met the jetta there. :(

The paint on the jetta is green BTW.

Oops, sorry about that-green it is! Going the hand route might deter you from 'getting into it'. I polished and waxed my old Mitsubishi a while back and swore never to do that again! But, seriously, the PC is a safe way and time saving way to take care of your cars paint. My 4-Runner was my 'practice' car with my PC. I too have found out that prep before wax/sealant is VERY important. Clay and the RIGHT polish and proper technique is very important. Even though I took 3 steps BEFORE I put a coat of wax on my car, I can see the difference in where I took my time on it vs just going over the area with the polish etc.

You have some very good quality stuff in your garage-now is the time to get used to using them the right way! I heard of a killer sale on the PC a while back, not sure if it is still going on-It was at Lowes if I remember correctly.

Johnny

oarnura
01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
You have some very good quality stuff in your garage-now is the time to get used to using them the right way! I heard of a killer sale on the PC a while back, not sure if it is still going on-It was at Lowes if I remember correctly.

Johnny

Ok I am going to lowe's to check out the P-C 7336. I am going to start researching pads to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks. A Very Happy and gleaming New Year.

Arun.