PDA

View Full Version : X3 Proves Self in Snow Storm

xspeedy
01-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I just got back from a road trip that took me from Austin to Chicago. Drove up and was hit by torrential rain in Arkansas and Missouri and heavy/sudden snow that fell across southern Illinois. This was all from the big cold front that swept across much of the US on 12/22 and 12/23.

Thankfully I took my X3 on the trip, because I would have been hosed in any of our other vehicles. I was amazed at how well the X-Drive handled the slick roads. I had to drive I57 before plows could really clear anything. I was confidently driving at 50 MPH. Got stuck in a traffic jam caused by some jack-knifed semis and by the time we started moving again, there must have been six inches on the pavement. No issues with traction or vehicle control.

Kudos to BMW for such a fine automobile!

xspeedy
01-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Pirelli Scorpions. They are all-season.

SARAFIL
01-02-2005, 01:06 PM

We've got 18" Scorpions on our 3.0 (we have the "standard" SP wheels, not the upgraded ones with performance tires), and it too is terrific in the snow. We had about 8" last week, and it had no problem making it through fresh, unplowed snow. Based on my experiences with older X5s on all seasons, I was expecting mediocre performance without snows. I'm glad to say that the new xDrive system has improved foul weather performance, and the X3 does great in the snow with all seasons.

Kbrocks
01-02-2005, 03:41 PM

I bought my X3 3.0i in June and have Pirelli Scorpions also. We haven't had any snow here in Northeast Pa., so I wasn't certain how X3 would handle winter without snows. I only have 4600 miles on mine and the tires are like new.
I feel much better after reading your post and seeing the photos of your X3. :thumbup: ThankYou, Brock

X5M5
01-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Nice shots. Amazing how the tractor trailers are out there in the middle of the storm :rolleyes:

iChick
01-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks for posting this! Great news and great pix. We barely made it out of the mountains in my 3-series last week when it started snow here in CA. I can't wait til the X3 is delivered...

harplayr
01-03-2005, 09:20 AM
I just got back from Upper Michigan where they had an ice storm. The hotel parking lot was an Ice rink with about 1" of solid ice. I couldn't beleive how well the X3 did on it!

LeucX3
01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Brrrrr, cold...

Patrick
01-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I like this one:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42142

:thumbup:

FireFly
01-03-2005, 03:35 PM
So far the X3 with AS tires is kicking the ass of my 330xi with snow tires. The X Drive system simply rocks. Anyone want to buy a 2002 330xi? :)

pipo
01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
The X3 may do pretty well in snow and ice with the all-season Pirelli Scorpions, but these tires are still the weak link in severe winter conditions. To be safe(r), you really do need dedicated snow tires. The bottom line is that snow tires provide MUCH better traction on snow and ice than all-season tires. Don't kid yourselves.

And remember that AWD helps you not a bit in braking and turning, where you rely on the grip that the tires provide. AWD only improves performance when accelerating, because power can be redirected to optimize traction.

So be careful out there, especially if driving on the all seasons in harsh winter conditions. I regularly test available traction by slamming on the brakes on a straight section of road (after forewarning any passengers and being sure that I'm not going to get slammed in the rear by a tailgater). If the antilock brakes engage quickly, as registered by pulsing in the brake pedal, then I know we're dealing with poor traction conditions and I drive extra cautiously.

harplayr
01-06-2005, 07:48 AM
The X3 may do pretty well in snow and ice with the all-season Pirelli Scorpions, but these tires are still the weak link in severe winter conditions. To be safe(r), you really do need dedicated snow tires. The bottom line is that snow tires provide MUCH better traction on snow and ice than all-season tires. Don't kid yourselves.

What you say is true. We just got blasted with another foot of snow on top of freezing rain and sleet, which left a layer of ice beneath the snow. I used this opportunity to get a feel for the X3ís limits. The X3 amazed me with its snow and ice capabilities. I find that if I corner rapidly, it can slide, however I am able to regain control much faster than with any vehicle I have ever driven before with or without snow tires. I will never own a 2 wheel drive car again as long as I live up north.

I agree, DRIVE CAREFULLY in this stuff, and real snow tires are going to be a big improvement over the all season tires.

paasan
01-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I test drove a X3 2.5i today and was amazed at how difficult it was to get the wheels spinning on snow. I had to take the car on ice or into fairly deep snow to make the wheels spin under medium acceleration. When they finally let go of the surface, it was also quite hard to get it to oversteer. Obviously the four wheel drive prevents this oversteer, but it also seems to me that the DSC system has a far more aggressive setup than that of our E60 520i.