PDA

View Full Version : X3 impressions?

apar330i
01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
My wife is looking for a new ride since her current lease expires in Mar '05. She really wants an SUV. Initially she was leaning towards the Highlander but after test driving it she wasn't really impressed. She drove a VW Twarg V6 and liked it a lot. It has a lot of gadgets that come standard. I drove one a few days later and was not to impressed with the performance. With the V6 it felt like it would have a hard time getting out of its own way. Plus from some of the stuff I have read the reliability is below average. The dealership also sells BMWs so I said why not give the X3 a try. I suggested that we drive the 3.0. She liked it a lot, it had nice giddy up and she really liked the dual sunroof. The only other thing that we're going to look at is the RX330. So, for those of you that have an X3 what do you think? Pros/cons? She is a little concerned about things I experienced with my 328i such as window regulators, etc. This will be a long term ownership, she wants to get the car paid off and keep it a while. Any opinions would be appreciated.

FirstBMW
01-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I had this issue back in Nov. For me, it came down to the Lexus RX330 and the X3. I eliminted the Mercedes ML320 because of the ****ty ride (even though the interior was sweet) and the Tauoreg (sp?) because of VW reliability issues, and I felt like the thing was too much of a heavy boat.

The Lexus and the BMW are two totally different kind of rides. Lexus is smooth, quiet japanese styled ride - when I say that I mean really "loose" steering and less responsiveness and feel for the road than the BMW. Lexus wants you not to hear the engine, whereas the BMW is a little more throaty (but I acknowledge this isn't a Ferrari!) That is ultimately what led me to the X3. The pros to the Lexus for me were the automatic rear lift gate, better movement of the rear seats and storage for the rear deck cover, reliability, and a pretty nice driver's cockpit. The cons were the ride itself (too much like driving in a Camry) and the price. Lexus dealers were far less willing to negotiate on discount from MSRP and money factor, which really ticked me off.

So, I went into my BMW dealer and got a super sweet lease on his last 2004 X3. I am soooooo pleased with it based on having it for 7 weeks now. You'll love the feel of the drive, the interior (highly recommend the heated seats), and the huge moonroof. While there are things that BMW could have done (like the Lexus amenities described above) I am really impressed with the car, and would recommend it to anyone.

Hope this helps.

FireFly
01-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I drive a 330xi and my wife had a ford explorer (V8 Eddie Bauer) and when it was time to look for a SUV for her we checked out all the usual suspects.

RX330- very cushy ride and very nice to drive but it will not put a grin on your face. The interior is plush but some like it and some don't. Main reason I opted not to consider more seriously is the fact that 6 years from now it will be just another older model japanese vehicle with little to no appeal.

Highlander- Boring and dull. Nice interior but handling is poor.

MDX- Came in 2nd on the list. Nice interior but dull ride. And despit the fact that it has more HP, the X3 #.0 has more get up and go.

We decided on the X3 3.0. Main factors:

It's a BMW
It will out handle all the others, my main conern is emergency situations
X Drive rocks and puts my XI to shame in the snow
Huge moonroof
Handling of the X3
It puts a huge grin on my wifes face each time she drives it
It's right sized- much like the highlander. Not too big or too small.
Snow performance is incredible.

We have absolutely no regrets on getting the X3. In fact, I'm seriously looking at selling my 330Xi and doing ED on a X3.

LeucX3
01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
I've had absolutely no problems with mine. You wont' go wrong with an X3. Just as sporty a drive as my previous 330Ci...at least i drive it that way.

apar330i
01-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. We drove an RX330 about six months ago and it was almost silky. I was actually pretty impressed with it. The main problem is that with a few add ons the price gets a little high even without the 4WD. We thought briefly about the MDX but my wife really doesn't care for it. Her parrents have one so she's driven it a few times. They had a nice 3.0 at the dealer that I would have liked to get if we were closer to getting rid of her car. It was blue (whatever variant the X3 uses) with tan leather and PP. One thing I don't like about the X3, it's rather trivial though, is the cup holder for the passenger. To me it looks like something waiting to break. Other than that I really liked it.

FireFly
01-03-2005, 03:52 PM
One thing I don't like about the X3, it's rather trivial though, is the cup holder for the passenger. To me it looks like something waiting to break. Other than that I really liked it.

That thing is a cup holder? I'll be damned :) It's pretty much useless if you ask me :)

apar330i
01-03-2005, 04:04 PM
That thing is a cup holder? I'll be damned :) It's pretty much useless if you ask me :)
Yeah, I asked the salesman if there was another cup holder and he pointed me to the thing under the vent. Definitley not the place to put your 64 oz Thirstbuster.

ProcyonB
01-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I asked the salesman if there was another cup holder and he pointed me to the thing under the vent. Definitley not the place to put your 64 oz Thirstbuster.

BMW is the only auto-maker willing to stand up to the American public and say "Fcuk your 128 oz mega-jumbo Coke upgrade for 39 cents." :dunno:

iChick
01-04-2005, 07:01 AM
When I bought my first BMW in '94, the sales guy actually told me that the lack of a cup holder was because you shouldn't drink and drive.... The next BMW model I bought a few years later had a cup holder. I should have looked up that guy and asked him if it was OK to drink and drive now. As far as the Big Gulp drinks, you'd be having to make more "pit stops" and it would impair your fahrvergnügen.... Yeah, that's it. :bigpimp:

Paul in SF
01-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I've accepted that the super big gulp has to go between my legs. I'm still not sure what to do with my loose change yet though! :dunno:

LeucX3
01-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I've accepted that the super big gulp has to go between my legs. I'm still not sure what to do with my loose change yet though! :dunno:
Don't drink and drive. :p

My loose change either gets lost under the seat or in the door pockets. I usually take change to the office everyday.

Spiderm0n
01-04-2005, 01:28 PM
We have absolutely no regrets on getting the X3. In fact, I'm seriously looking at selling my 330Xi and doing ED on a X3.

What advantages do you see for the X3 over the 330xi? I saw your impression regarding snow performance. taking that out of the equation, is there anything else?

Suprawin
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I just took my X5 in for a scheduled service and they gave me a loaner 05 X3 2.5. It is a nice car but I sure miss the X5. It drives nice and the build quality seems ok but the materials seem cheaper than my X5. The big sunroof is cool and it has adequate power. Im sure a 3.0 would be perfect. It also seems to have a little vibration in the console but that is probably just something that needs to be tightened. The dash also seems a bit cluttered. If I didnt need an X5 to tow my racecar, and was looking for a small SUV/SAV, I would probably look elsewhere. Feel free to start the flaming, but I am a BMW guy at heart, it is just that this one just doesnt fit for me.

LeucX3
01-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Feel free to start the flaming, but I am a BMW guy at heart, it is just that this one just doesnt fit for me.
No one ever said one size fits all. That's why there are two of them.

FireFly
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
What advantages do you see for the X3 over the 330xi? I saw your impression regarding snow performance. taking that out of the equation, is there anything else?

I like the seats better, the moonroof, the higher ride (view) the roomier back seat, and extra cargo space. It just suits my needs better without giving up too much. And the X-Drive really kicks the XI's butt in the snow.