PDA

View Full Version : where to buy 3m swirl mark remover?

04.325ci
01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy 3m Swirl Mark Remover? I was hoping for a good old fashion brick and mortar store, if possible. Also, while I'm typing, what settings do you use on the PC and what pads are best? Here is my plan:
wash with Dawn
dry car
apply swirl remover to get the swirls out of my pretty mystic blue paint.
AIO
SG
more wax if I have the time and inclination.
Thanks in Advance

Desertnate
01-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy 3m Swirl Mark Remover? I was hoping for a good old fashion brick and mortar store, if possible. Also, while I'm typing, what settings do you use on the PC and what pads are best? Here is my plan:
wash with Dawn
dry car
apply swirl remover to get the swirls out of my pretty mystic blue paint.
AIO
SG
more wax if I have the time and inclination.
Thanks in Advance

I can get 3M Swirl Remover at my local O'Reiley Auto Parts. However, they don't put it with the other "average" detailing products. They have a small "professional" detailer section in the back of the store where they carry the professional grade Meguire's and 3M products.

04.325ci
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks Desertnate, I don't think we have those stores here. I know we have Pepboys, Autozone and a few others, but no O'reillys.

Desertnate
01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Desertnate, I don't think we have those stores here. I know we have Pepboys, Autozone and a few others, but no O'reillys.

They may carry it those stores as well. Where I live we don't have Pepboys, but do have an Autozone. I don't know if they carry it or not. If they stock their stores like O'Reiley's does, it won't be where you expect it. Most of the stores have the normal detail area with all the Turtle wax and car soap. Then they have another area where they have the pin stripe tape, detailer's tape, rubbing compounds and other stuff. That is where you will find the good stuff. At my local O'Reiley's, that section is in far back corner of the store and all the 3M products are on the top shelf.

I found that section totaly by accident while shopping for a cap for our Toyota's tow hitch reciever.

RSPDiver
01-03-2005, 08:19 PM
I bought some 3M Swirl Mark Remover from Pepboys. The stock may run low, but they seem to carry a good range of 3M stuff.

F1Crazy
01-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Check NAPA, also a section for pros. If you can't find 3M SMR then get Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover 2.0, this is what it looks like:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1818_1397326

I prefer 3M but there really is not much difference between these 2 products, both have the same abrasivness, both have diminishing abrasivess and are better used with machine than by hand.

For PC instructions try this link: PC for beginners (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

I second the Sonus recommendation, I've tried them recently with Propellerhead and we both like them better than older Lake Country pads I used before.

04.325ci
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Check NAPA, also a section for pros. If you can't find 3M SMR then get Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover 2.0, this is what it looks like:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1818_1397326

I prefer 3M but there really is not much difference between these 2 products, both have the same abrasivness, both have diminishing abrasivess and are better used with machine than by hand.

For PC instructions try this link: PC for beginners (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

I second the Sonus recommendation, I've tried them recently with Propellerhead and we both like them better than older Lake Country pads I used before.

Just returned from Advance Auto Parts, they only have 3M Scratch Remover (03901). Is this a safe alternative to SMR? More or less abrasive?
Side note: had to go to Ace hardware, they have an entire aisle of car care products, a lot of 3M products, but no swirl mark remover. Maybe I will find another ACE, never thought to look there for car stuff.

RSPDiver
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Call your local PepBoys. I promise I bought some there myself! (re: my post above)

F1Crazy
01-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I've never used any scratch removers, if something was badly scratched I would bring good ol' rubbing compound.

PropellerHead
01-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I've never used any scratch removers, if something was badly scratched I would bring good ol' rubbing compound.Something like a steel blue 330? Eyep- she got the garbage can. Looks like just plastic, though. And teh dealer washed it for her, today. Plus new brakes, wipers and.. well, something else. Ohhh.. window regulator.

Mathew
01-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Every now and then I see someone here post some cool detailing products, and then find out no one in Tampa sells them. PepBoys and Autozone both have a poor selection for some reason. Someone told me that Autozones are better in other states. :dunno:

I've pretty much ordered everything online or through a catalog.

04.325ci
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Every now and then I see someone here post some cool detailing products, and then find out no one in Tampa sells them. PepBoys and Autozone both have a poor selection for some reason. Someone told me that Autozones are better in other states. :dunno:

I've pretty much ordered everything online or through a catalog.

Yea well I am not in TPA right now, I'm in SW FLA, and they don't really have a lot of people down here that know how to do anything other than put the key in and start the car, therefore there are not a lot of auto stores.

PropellerHead
01-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Yea well I am not in TPA right now, I'm in SW FLA, and they don't really have a lot of people down here that know how to do anything other than put the key in and start the car, therefore there are not a lot of auto stores.Find a NAPA or other supply house. You could also look for a paint shop supply house.

04.325ci
01-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Find a NAPA or other supply house. You could also look for a paint shop supply house.

Finally found NAPA, went in and they had 1 bottle of SMR and it was for dark colors. Victory! The bottle looks like its been sitting on the shelf for a while, but it will do.

Desertnate
01-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Finally found NAPA, went in and they had 1 bottle of SMR and it was for dark colors. Victory! The bottle looks like its been sitting on the shelf for a while, but it will do.

Glad to hear! :thumbup:

The only difference between a new bottle and and an old bottle (as long as it is properly sealed) is how much you have to shake it before you start. :D

Chris325i
01-05-2005, 02:51 PM
You can buy 3M stuff online from 3M (www.3m.com). Free UPS ground shipping on all orders, no minimum. Just the list price plus your local sales tax.