PDA

View Full Version : My X3 Buying Experience

Paul in SF
01-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I wrote this as a reply to another thread but felt I should just create a seperate thread for my whining.

When shopping around for a new car I test drove the Lexus RX330, Volvo XC90, and Tourag. I don't have anything new to add to other comments about those models, except that the X3 really grabbed me in a way the other cars didn't. Now there were a few things about the marketing and electronics that "grabbed" me that weren't honest and I think BMW doesn't do anything to clarify. Here's what I experienced:

- Handsfree/Cell phone. The dealer/BMW had no handsfree cell phone solution when I ordered the car and were cryptic about what the solution would be. Even though I expressed how important the option was to me they couldn't answer or find an answer amonst themselves. I picked up the car last week and inside all the manuals they sent me was a single laminated page explaining bluetooth. No user guide, no instructions. I searched and searched online (finding this site) and low and behold, I have bluetooth in my navigation system! Unfortunate BMW made me jump through hoops to figure it out. :thumbdwn:

- IPod Connectivity. I really was attracted to this feature as well. What Apple and BMW don't tell you, and the dealer neglected to tell me when I placed my order in October, is that the IPod connectivity accessory doesn't work with the Navigation/premium stereo system. Of course they couldn't tell me that until I took delivery of the car. :thumbdwn:

- Sirius. Well I paid for the "pre-wiring" (what the hell is THAT and who cares??) - and now am awaiting the installation of the unit or feature that will provide the connnectivity? Again the usual confusing responses from my dealer - BMW is looking for a new supplier, it will come in January, etc. Wish me luck! :eeps:

- Wrong Trim. I ordered the car with all the options I wanted and waited patiently. When the car arrived the dealer accidently go the the trim wrong. I wanted aluminum. I got dark wood. Dang. :tsk:

- Windshield Crack. I just noticed a nice long crack in my windsheild. I took it to the dealer and it does look like some chip in the glass but the crack is about 7-8" long. My dealer quoted me $1400 to replace it. Only had the damn car a week. My Ford Explorer, 10 years - not a scratch. :mad:

I do like driving the car. I wish BMW USA or my dealer didn't make it so difficult and confusing with the electronic options, or had been more up front. I wish I had done all my homework beforehand and found this site. And I wish I walked away from the dealer when I started getting the bad feeling in my stomach. Driving: Good. :thumbup: Buying experience: Awful. :thumbdwn:

xspeedy
01-03-2005, 07:42 PM
If it didn't have the features you wanted at the time of delivery, then why did you accept the vehicle?

I generally do all of my research before buying a car, since most salespeople don't really know what they are selling. Turnover seems to be really high.

fill007
01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I just got my X3 3.0i PP, servo, Nav, Steptronic, Heated Seats, Xeon.

I too was at the San Francisco Dealer, saleman had no clue of bluetooth. But I knew it was available in the 05.

Bad thing about BMW is all the extra steps I, the consumer have to do finalize my car. Found out I have to take it back for Key programming. Bought it on a Sat, so BMW Assist could not be programmed until Monday. Since I am at work I still havn't had a chance to activate the Assist. Once assist is done, my adventures with bluetooth will begin. I presume similar to most.

Can't wait to finalize all the settings, but I must say people buy the car for the car, not because of the dealer. If they depended on the dealer, good luck.

I'm a pretty techy guy, and the X3 is somthing overwhelming when you look at the features.

FYI to all on Ipod, there is a company out there that has a IPOD hook up that displays in the Nav. Basically the system will use the cd changer controls. I saw it once, now doing my research to find it again, wish me luck. If anyone knows it, please share.

bfeldstein
01-04-2005, 11:30 AM
So, if you have the Nasv system, whayt exactly can you do with your Blue Tooth enabled phone? I don't know much about Blue Tooth technology, but I'm about to take delivery of my X3 with Nav system, and I'm also about to buy a new cell phone. Do I have to purchase the dealer-installed phone for Blue Tooth to work with the Nav system? What excatly will I be able to do with a Blue Tooth enabled phone and the Nav system?

Paul in SF
01-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey bfeldstein, if you get a bluetooth enabled cell phone, it will allow you to use the handsfree capability in your navigation system. The phone will connect via bluetooth to the car, and then you can use the navigation controls to place calls and the awesome speaker system in the car to talk. Your phone book is kept in sync between the car and phone. The radio, cd, etc. sound is muted when placing or receiving calls. I conduct a lot of meetings on the road and find this handsfree solution the best. Better than a bluetooth or other headset. :bigpimp:

sfca-325i
01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
From the hondapilot forum:

For those of you getting IPODs for Xmas, several new products for connecting an IPOD will be released after Xmas.

Most appear to offer the following features: Fast Forward, Rewind, Next Track, Prev Track, Search and Seek commands. You can also select your first five (or six) playlists by selecting disc numbers 1-5 (or 6) on your radio. In some cases, the iPod or the Radio can be used to display artist, album and song data.

iCruze by MonsterCable
iceLink Plus
PIE HON98/PC-POD
Alpine KCA-420i
Neo iON

x3man
01-06-2005, 12:04 AM
From the hondapilot forum:

For those of you getting IPODs for Xmas, several new products for connecting an IPOD will be released after Xmas.

And according to BMW Munich, BMW will be finally releasing an iPod adaptor for X3 nav systems in Summer 2005.

Kewl X5
01-06-2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php

The website will explain every thing. Tom from Dension posts on the X-series forum & audio forum as well.

FYI to all on Ipod, there is a company out there that has a IPOD hook up that displays in the Nav. Basically the system will use the cd changer controls. I saw it once, now doing my research to find it again, wish me luck. If anyone knows it, please share.