PDA

View Full Version : Surfire way to get an X3 stuck in snow ...

ProcyonB
01-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Gun it out of the garage into 30" of wet/heavy snow. Which causes the X3 (w/8" of clearance) to ramp up onto the snow and then sink in deep enough that the doors can't be opened.

Then spin the tires until the friction causes the snow to turn into ice under the tires.

How to get out? Have hubby dig you out in his pajamas and then shovel the entire driveway. :eek:

Dr. Phil
01-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Gun it out of the garage into 30" of wet/heavy snow. Which causes the X3 (w/8" of clearance) to ramp up onto the snow and then sink in deep enough that the doors can't be opened.

Then spin the tires until the friction causes the snow to turn into ice under the tires.

How to get out? Have hubby dig you out in his pajamas and then shovel the entire driveway. :eek:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did the exact samething ~ 8 years ago with a Honda Passport. My neighbor walked over in his snow shoes and parka so he could LOL in my face. He then helped me dig it out for the next 20 minutes :p

adc
01-06-2005, 08:15 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did the exact samething ~ 8 years ago with a Honda Passport. My neighbor walked over in his snow shoes and parka so he could LOL in my face. He then helped me dig it out for the next 20 minutes :p

Haha, that's what I did with our A4 Quattro (with Dunlop SP9000 summer tires no less). But I managed to rock it back and forth until I could get the side to the curb. I then dug, and dug, and dug until I freed her and was able to bring her back up the driveway.

I had to decline the tow offer from a firendly Range Rover-owning neighbor - real men never ask for or accept help. :rofl:

All this cost me a rear muffler (the brackets had rusted and were torn out in the process).

Bottom line is: no matter how good the AWD system, or the tires, or the driver, you can only tackle the snow if you have enough clearance. So be safe out there...

adc
03 330 ZHP
98 A4

gojira-san
01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
The Touring or the 330 with the snow tires on are great but yeah, not much clearance, so if it gets really deep, I have to take the Jeep. Since the Jeep is short wheelbase, you have to be careful too to prevent spinning out!

I throw the tow straps into the Jeep on days like this (it is snowing like all getout here at the moment) because I will probably end up pulling someone out of a snow bank. Last year I pulled a Hummer H2 out of a snowbank with my Chevy :rofl: