PDA

View Full Version : Any regrets getting an X3?

Closer
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Hello X3 owners. Im considering trading my 325ci for an X3. I know that several of you have made the transition from 3 series coupes and sedans to X3's and I was wondering if any of you regret the decision you made. I dont really see myself as an SUV (sorry SAV) person, but the more I look at the X3 the more I like it. Additionally, from what Ive heard about how it drives, I dont think I would miss my coupe too much. Any thoughts or opinions on the transition would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks :)

xspeedy
01-06-2005, 06:34 PM
While it drives very well for an SUV, and is very car-like, it won't be the same as your 3. I only have an X3 to hold me over until the e90 is out. I prefer cars.

Why do you want to switch to an X3?

Closer
01-06-2005, 07:11 PM
While it drives very well for an SUV, and is very car-like, it won't be the same as your 3. I only have an X3 to hold me over until the e90 is out. I prefer cars.

Why do you want to switch to an X3?

Primarily winter weather and extra cargo space would be nice.

xspeedy
01-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Ah, yeah. If you are snow-belt, I would highly recommend it. The X-Drive can't be beat. The ride is very firm (similar to a 3-series with SP), and handling could be described as tossable for an SUV.

If you like to drive hard, go for the 3.0. Worth it especially if you go for the Steptronic. I did the 2.5 with a 6-speed, and it is fine for casual driving, but since I drive hard, I would have preferred the 3.0. I was trying to keep cost down since this is just a termporary ride.

On a drive to Chicago through some pretty bad rain and snow, I was very impressed with my purchase. The X was rock solid at high speeds through it all. You probably already saw my thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82983

Mr. The Edge
01-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Primarily winter weather and extra cargo space would be nice.

why not a CPO 325xiT?

or wait for the E90 325xiT

Ryouko
01-07-2005, 05:06 AM
We switched from a '01 330ci to the 3.0 X3. Driving wise, no regrets. So long as you remember you're driving an SUV, and not a sports coupe, you certainly won't be dissapointed. I think one thing that helped for us is that we had the (5 speed) manual transmission in the 330ci, and we got the (6 speed) manual in the X3. I think its what really makes the X3 feel so much like driving the 330ci.

Cons: Its not going to be as fast as the 3 series cars, and for as heavy and solid as it feels, you still have to remember that it is top heavy and can roll.

Pros: All weather driving, higher vantage point, more space.

My ONE and only regret is that, for as much as I love the car, we should have gotten something bigger for the dogs. :rolleyes:

PABS
01-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I was not that impressed. Bought a Murano instead. Less expensive, more power and better appointments.

BMW needs to stick with cars.

stevenw66
01-07-2005, 05:49 AM
I LOVE my X3. My son just bought one also and he LOVEs it. My only regret is that I could use more cargo space. i am waiting for the redesigned X5 as a trade up!

LeucX3
01-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I went from a 330Ci Step to an X3 3.0 6spd. No regrets, but i wish i could have both cars. :D

sfca-325i
01-07-2005, 10:19 AM
We went from a 2003 325i to a 2004 X3 3.0.

More rear seat leg room - altho the rear seat is not as comfortable.
More cargo room.
Gas mileage in the city is lower by about 1.5 mpg.
The ride is stiffer (did not have SP in either BMW). Not the sofa of my Honda Pilot but not much stiffer than the Matrix. It's the compromise for having a tall center of gravity vehicle and attempting to maintain the handling characteristics of a BMW.
The panaromic moonroof was a big selling point.

edjnc
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
We have the X3 3.0 and a 2004 325cic, both wonderfull cars. Traded our Honda Pilot for the X3 to have a compact SUV that drives like the 325. Love the X3.

Dr. Phil
01-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I was not that impressed. Bought a Murano instead. Less expensive, more power and better appointments.

BMW needs to stick with cars.
Hmmm...I have a Murano in the garage as well, I prefer its CVT over the BMW step tranny. The seats in the Murano are no where near as supportive and it is not as nimble IMO as the X3.

As for the original question, I went from a heavily modified 330 to mine. For my daily commute (highway) to work I actually prefer the X3. Comfortable, heated wheel and about an 85% less chance of getting a speeding ticket :eeps: However every time I hit a windy back road I have remorse, therefore I try to avoid those roads unless I am on my Harley :bigpimp:

FireFly
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I have 2002 330xi and 2005 X3 (3.0) and give an edge to the X3. Like Dr. Phil, the only time I wish I were driving the XI is on twisty back roads. The X3 does a fine job but it's still a heavy SUV on the twisty roads.

No regrets in getting the X3 and I am feeling that when I get rid of the XI I'll also get the X3 as the 05 is my wife's.

Closer
01-07-2005, 06:39 PM
why not a CPO 325xiT?

or wait for the E90 325xiT

I dont think I want an 325xi because they do not have the sport suspension callibration and I dont really want a wagon. However, I guess I could get the X3 and after a couple of years my wife could take over the X3 and I could get an E90 after they have worked out the first-year bugs. :dunno:

ProcyonB
01-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I was always a car person until I drove the X3. :dunno: No regrets.

Curious Joel
01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm trying to choose between an X3 3.0 and a 330xi. How is the X3 in deep snow/on steep hills? I live on a steep hill and our road is practically the last road in the town to be plowed. How is the cargo space? Are the seats comfortable for long trips? Is there enough room for skis/bags in there, or would I need to get a roof carrier? Is the ride really that hard? Also, what is this I hear about creaks in the X3? Could someone let me know what thats all about?
TIA

Dr. Phil
01-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm trying to choose between an X3 3.0 and a 330xi. How is the X3 in deep snow/on steep hills? I live on a steep hill and our road is practically the last road in the town to be plowed. How is the cargo space? Are the seats comfortable for long trips? Is there enough room for skis/bags in there, or would I need to get a roof carrier? Is the ride really that hard? Also, what is this I hear about creaks in the X3? Could someone let me know what thats all about?
TIA
You'll do well with either in the snow. When I had my 325xiT, I was able to go in 12-15" of unplowed snow for several miles. The only problem I had was the "plow" effect I was doing with the front spoiler :yikes: I have not really banged the cargo space in my X3 thus far with the exception of a 8' Christmas tree, 7 boxes, etc ;) Don't ski so sorry. I have no complaints about any excessive creaks.

Oh and the seats....I do not have the sport seats (and actually wish I did for the thigh extensions) but they are mor ecomfortable then the non sport seats in the sedans IMO. I have back issues and a replacement hip yet have been comfortable for several hours drives in the X3.

iChick
01-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I currently have a 328ci and it does terrible in the snow. I nearly got stuck last week in the snow and barely made it out of town before it got really bad. My 2005 X3 is en route and I can't wait to see how it handles the snow. From what I'm reading on this board, I think I'll be pleased. The rear wheel drive on the 3-series sedan just doesn't cut it. I'll be using the X3 for skiing and plan to use the fold down back seat for the skis first before going the rack route. Of course, if you are transporting more people in the back seat, that wouldn't work too well.

FireFly
01-08-2005, 06:01 PM
TIA

I have a 2002 330xi with snow tires and a 2005 X3 3.0 with all season tires.
The X3 has a much more sophisticated AWD system than the 330xi and sometimes it kicks the XI's ass and other times it does not. Keep in mind that AWD only helps you when accelerating...

For climbing steep hills the X3 will shift power from the wheels which slip, allowing you to climb steep hills without loss of power. The Xi will climb the hill but when a wheel slips, rather than transfer power to other wheels, the Xi will apply brakes to the wheel which slips. This slows the car down and can "bog" it down if the hill is too steep. But with snow tires on the Xi , I have yet to face a hill (including my 800ft driveway which is quite steep) which "bogs" down the Xi.

Today I drove the Xi back from Prividence in the rain, sleet, freezing rain and snow and it performed without a glitch. I am noticing a fairly significant difference with the snow tires (dunlop wintersports) compared to the GY AS tires I drove on for the past 2 winters.

What I do like about the Xi is it will help you determine your safety limits when it snows. Rather than allow you to go too fast it will slow the car down when it's slick. Some, including myself, consider this as a safety feature.

I do like the X3 better as an all around vehicle. It has more cargo room, the standard seats are more comfortabe than my Xi's sport seats, it has better shoulder room vs. the Xi so you are not snug against the driver door. The moonroof in the X3 rocks, the ride is better than the sports suspension on the Xi, the X3 has better ground clearance and the view of the road is better in the X3. You can actually fit adults in the back seat of the X3, the X3 has more headroom, the X3 has a black plastic front bumper are so it will not show rock chips like my Xi, Last but not least, price up a 2005 X3 and a 2005 Xi with all the options you want and you'll be amazed that the X3 will cost less. Go figure :)

So can you tell I'll be trading in my Xi for an X3? :)

Mr. The Edge
01-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I currently have a 328ci and it does terrible in the snow. I nearly got stuck last week in the snow and barely made it out of town before it got really bad.
what kind of snow tires are on the car?

iChick
01-08-2005, 07:11 PM
what kind of snow tires are on the car?

LOL - None. I neglected to mention that I'm a "flat lander", freeway-driving Californian who sees snow only when I head to the slopes. Putting snow tires on a car doesn't make much sense for me, so I'm hoping the all weather tires on the X3 will work OK on the plowed roads. My 328 does really bad on those roads... so I don't usually have it there if snow is on the forecast. I just happened to get stuck by the snow that came in pretty quickly.

Mr. The Edge
01-08-2005, 07:19 PM
LOL - None. I neglected to mention that I'm a "flat lander", freeway-driving Californian who sees snow only when I head to the slopes. Putting snow tires on a car doesn't make much sense for me.

:D

cwsqbm
01-08-2005, 07:27 PM
LOL - None. I neglected to mention that I'm a "flat lander", freeway-driving Californian who sees snow only when I head to the slopes. Putting snow tires on a car doesn't make much sense for me, so I'm hoping the all weather tires on the X3 will work OK on the plowed roads. My 328 does really bad on those roads... so I don't usually have it there if snow is on the forecast. I just happened to get stuck by the snow that came in pretty quickly.

I'd suggest keeping the 328 and renting a SUV to go skiing.

iChick
01-08-2005, 07:31 PM

:p No way. I wanna ride high and it's time for a new ride.

P.S. My man is inheriting the 328, so it will still be in the garage if I miss it too much.

jrp
01-09-2005, 12:42 PM
That's the exact conclusion that my wife and I reached when it came time to trade our '99 M3. We didn't see the point in getting the X3 (or FX45) when at least 90% of the time it'll be driven on dry roads with no extra passengers nor cargo. We really didn't want/need anything that could haul stuff, we wanted something that hauls ass (so we got this mint CPO IR/IR M3 6-speed to go with our '04)! :D

beware_phog
01-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I've had mine for about 9 months and am very happy with the decision. Of course it doesn't drive like a coupe, but it drives great for an SUV.

I don't like the hatch handle. Seems sort of flaky.

But I drove it all over Europe and have loved it ever since. Very practical car to haul stuff over a sedan. And, it's easy to get the kids in and out of.

petsounds
01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
No regrets on getting our X3 but there are moments when i wish we had waited and got an 05 3.0. We traded our MDX for the X3 and there has been no looking back. As for cargo room I was able to bring home a new plasma TV in the X3. That's all the cargo room I need LOL.
Now that the snow is here and we have a steep 200ft driveway we really appreciate the virtues of X Drive and Dunlap Winter Sports. In fact when i drove up today it was solid ice and i never detected any wheelspin or loss of momentum.
BTW has anyone had there DSC activate?
Happened to me today. I was going about 20mph (not a panic situation by any means) around a slushy/icey turn when the X3 started to slide...well before I could react the DSC had already taken over, doing whatever it does with the brakes etc. and the vehicle self corrected by mid turn. Incredible.

12thBMW
01-24-2005, 06:43 AM
I've owned BMW's from 1800/2002's right up through the current '01 325isp and '00 528i. The new X3 is different from all of them, but still a BMW through and through...fun to drive and the safest vehicle on the road (for its class). The new X-Drive is simply amazing in keeping your car under control in bad conditions; much better than any other SUV I've tested...and for me safety is a MAJOR concern in buying a vehicle--any manufacturer who refuses to put as a standard feature at least some version of DSC into a top heavy vehicle like an SUV is automatically off my list for consideration.

For the time being I'm keeping the '01 325i, but if I had to choose between them I'd choose the X3 because it gives you so many more options for transportation.

As testimony to the winter handling capabilities, the X3, stock off the showroom floor, won the Alcan highway race: http://www.bmwzine.com/news/view.asp?linkid=412

And get a 3.0; for 2005 the steptronic is included in the price.

x3man
01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
I just got my 2005 X3 3.0i and mechanically, it's rock solid. My biggest disappointment is the navigation system. The menu system is unwieldy, the calculated routes are not just a little off but really off course, and you can't scroll the map. BMW has to put some effort into improving it. A great vehicle like the X3 deserves an equally good nav system. Look at the one in the Acura TL sometime. That one rocks!

fill007
01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
I agree, they could at least make the scroll consistant. You would scroll clock wise on a menu to go up, then on the second menu you have to turn counter clockwise. Go figure :dunno:

04E46
01-25-2005, 12:39 PM
The X3 is a fantastic vehicle. It truly feels like little brother to the X5. That is if the looks appeal to you.

Over the X5, we would have gotten my wife liked the looks.

dlflyboy
02-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I currently have a 328ci and it does terrible in the snow. I nearly got stuck last week in the snow and barely made it out of town before it got really bad. My 2005 X3 is en route and I can't wait to see how it handles the snow. From what I'm reading on this board, I think I'll be pleased. The rear wheel drive on the 3-series sedan just doesn't cut it. I'll be using the X3 for skiing and plan to use the fold down back seat for the skis first before going the rack route. Of course, if you are transporting more people in the back seat, that wouldn't work too well.

BMW has a ski bag that stores behind the rear armrest. Just fold it down and open the door through the seat. Not sure how many skis it will hold.

notorious-mmc
02-07-2005, 12:17 AM
The car is great in snow. With Dunlop wintersports. My only regret is the climate unit. I read the manual a hundred times I cannot understand why I have hot air to my legs and cold air in my face!!! This is like a cold-warm shower?!?

sfca-325i
02-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Try this. Instead of using the auto mode, manually select the desired vents (the three buttons in a vertical array on the left side of the climate control module). Top button is windshield, middle is dash and bottom button is footwell. I have found that when you use the manual selection, the air from the dash vents matches the temperature of the footwell vents.

x3man
02-07-2005, 11:11 AM
The car is great in snow. With Dunlop wintersports. My only regret is the climate unit. I read the manual a hundred times I cannot understand why I have hot air to my legs and cold air in my face!!! This is like a cold-warm shower?!?

Near the vent, there is a dial. It is probably set on blue. Rotate it to red and you'll get warm air for your face.

notorious-mmc
02-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Don't know what to say... I already use the knob and the manual vents(3 buttons on left). The problem is : if I set 22 celsius on AUTO why I cannot have 22 on up, 22 on middle. 22 on foot? Why do I have to have 30 on foot 15 on middle and nothing on up(windshield) ?

sfca-325i
02-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, that does not sound right. I'd have the dealer take a look at it. Maybe it's a software issue.