PDA

View Full Version : center console CD player wires

sonicf
01-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks to Woody's support, I was able to get access to my CD player wiring in my X3 center console. (in hope of hooking in icelink/ipod). Thought i would share a couple of tips he gave me. The wires are hard to find and get to: they are captivated under the center console main bracket. First remove tray and rear cigarette lighter. Remove the 2 - 10mm nuts and the 2 philips screws on the sides in the back (need shorty screwdriver). plus 2 philips in the front at the top. I was then able to carefully lift the console and the silver bracket at the bottom just barely enough to pull out the wire bundle which is wrapped in felt.

Donald H Forbes
01-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks to Woody's support, I was able to get access to my CD player wiring in my X3 center console. (in hope of hooking in icelink/ipod). Thought i would share a couple of tips he gave me. The wires are hard to find and get to: they are captivated under the center console main bracket. First remove tray and rear cigarette lighter. Remove the 2 - 10mm nuts and the 2 philips screws on the sides in the back (need shorty screwdriver). plus 2 philips in the front at the top. I was then able to carefully lift the console and the silver bracket at the bottom just barely enough to pull out the wire bundle which is wrapped in felt.

I am also trying to install the BMW CD changer from ultimate BMW parts. I have found the wire bundle with the 2 connectors - a 3 pin and an 8 pin but I have not been able to find the coax connector. I have the premium audio sys in an 2005 X3 3.0 with NAV and DSP.

I would appreciate any help.

sonicf
01-28-2005, 08:10 PM
I have premium sound, satellite prewire, NO nav. My coax connector was bundled in felt with a 3 pin and 6 pin. I think the 6 pin ran from the sirius reciever in the back. I have heard that not all premium sound have the coax.

hendryp
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
This information is very useful - thanks.

I just purchased my 2005 X3 today, I have taken the cd changer fomr my Z3 (I believe they are the same. Does anybody know if a different mounting bracket is required for the X3 over the Z3 (Im sure there is) - also is the changer a snug fit - or is there some kind of facia I need to purchase.

Thanks for your assistance
Peter

hawzmolly
03-05-2005, 11:14 AM
This information is very useful - thanks.

I just purchased my 2005 X3 today, I have taken the cd changer fomr my Z3 (I believe they are the same. Does anybody know if a different mounting bracket is required for the X3 over the Z3 (Im sure there is) - also is the changer a snug fit - or is there some kind of facia I need to purchase.

Thanks for your assistance
Peter

The mounting is quite different. In fact the mounting has all of the necessary brackets. Get the install kit from your dealer (about $50.00). All the necessary parts are included. There is a facia that is installed after the changer is in.

:mad: The installation is about a #8 on a 10 scale (1 = easy) and you will need special tools. Go to your dealer and ask for the install instructions. They are helpful in finding all of the fasteners you will nedd to take out. Good luck. Be patient - it's worth it.