PDA

View Full Version : X3 Alarm Install

fill007
01-10-2005, 11:41 AM
The alarm install was posted in another forum. I posted here to share. Anyone know if BMW will charge me if I took the car in to have them recode it?

E-bay has the X3 alarm for $160.00, BMW originally wanted $600 for the alarm, install included

sfca-325i
01-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes, your dealer will charge you to program the car to recognize the alarm.

ChadS
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes, your dealer will charge you to program the car to recognize the alarm. Depends, many dealers will "goodwill" the activation. My dealer has done that for all my cars that I installed the alarm in. Doesn't hurt to ask.

pix330c
01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Alarm must be for a 2004 X3, the alarm controls for the 2005 X3 is in the rear view mirror. Any instructions for a 2005?

b-y
01-16-2005, 05:42 PM
:dunno: Are you certain about "the alarm controls for the 2005 X3 is in the rear view mirror"? The "clown nose" indicator light is in the mirror assembly. The siren goes in the engine compartment, the tilt sensor in the cargo area under the floor, and the intrusion sensor goes in the overhead console with roof controls. Follow the instructions--there are helpful hionds posted on this and other forums.

pix330c
01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
:dunno: Are you certain about "the alarm controls for the 2005 X3 is in the rear view mirror"? The "clown nose" indicator light is in the mirror assembly. The siren goes in the engine compartment, the tilt sensor in the cargo area under the floor, and the intrusion sensor goes in the overhead console with roof controls. Follow the instructions--there are helpful hionds posted on this and other forums.

Sorry, you are correct. I was thinking about the garage door opener which is now in the rear view mirror. Thanks for the instructions. Gail

x3man
01-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Sorry, you are correct. I was thinking about the garage door opener which is now in the rear view mirror. Thanks for the instructions. Gail

Is the garage door opener standard in the 2005 X3?

fill007
01-18-2005, 04:00 PM
If it is I am going back to the dealer, but I dought it. Another tactic to squeez you out of $200 or $300. :confused:

stevenw66
01-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Have to buy an option to put the homelink transmitter in the rear view mirror. I had this install but need to bring back to dealer because not working! Cost about $500 with installation!

Is the garage door opener standard in the 2005 X3?

fill007
01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
$500.00 !!!!!!!!!!

I'll just clip my garage door opener in the visor or place it in the armrest then. :cry:

12thBMW
01-23-2005, 12:15 PM
My alarm was $250 (bought it when I bought the car, so got a discount); a friend and I installed it (he'd done it before on his X3). The instructions posted are correct. The only difficult part was getting the air collector in the front off and back on to install the siren...lots of GENTLE twisting and turning. Make sure you check the position and location of all the rubber seals/joints as you take it off so you'll know how they go back on/together. Also, be careful with the plastic rivets in the rear deck or you'll break them easily. They are in two parts; the outer rivet and an inner piece to spread the outer piece and lock it in place. Pry the lip slowly all around and it'll release from other piece and you can slide them out. My dealer (Rasmussen in Portland, OR) charged me $50 to reprogram the computer.

My garage door opener cost $250 and the dealer installed it for free when I bought the car.

'05 X3 prem, cold, privglass
'01 325i sp
'00 528i prem
'96 328i prem
'95 325is

12thBMW
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Have to buy an option to put the homelink transmitter in the rear view mirror. I had this install but need to bring back to dealer because not working! Cost about $500 with installation!

Programming the buttons on the mirror can be tricky depending on the type of opener you have, esp., the newest rolling code ones--I've got two new Genie ProMax openers. I had to go to Homelink to download the instructions when I had the remotes installed in my wife's '00 528i and my '01 325isp, since its actually a two stage process; first you hold the button on the remote AND on the mirror until the mirror light blinks fast, then you push the learn button on the opener head and run back to the car and hold and then release the mirror button a couple of times until it responds. For some reason I couldn't get the X3 version to respond to the remote the first 5 or 6 times I tried it and thought that there was something wrong. Then the next time when I did it, the mirror recognized it right away. I think it may have been the position of the remote VERY close to the mirror that last time.

The great thing about the mirror remote is that it has THREE buttons, which you can use to program, in my case, both garage doors, and then a third device (eg., door opener at work, turn the lights on in the house, etc.).

I think the reason they are so much more expensive than the previous units which simply installed in the headliner by the moonroof button, is that they contain the glass and sensor for autodim, the clown nose alarm blinker; is the rain sensor in there too?

---Dr D (as my students call me)
'05 X3 3.0i
tisilver/grey, pp, cwp, pglass