PDA

View Full Version : Biggest cause of swirls?

jetstream23
01-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Newbie about to take delivery of a Jet Black car.....I'm getting very nervous reading about swirls and upkeep on Black BMW's. I'm not averse to putting in the effort needed to keep it clean and protected but I also believe that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. With that in mind, what are the biggest or most common causes of swirls and scratches that I should look out for? Assuming that I garage the vehicle, use only a clean lambs wool mit to clean it (going back and forth, not circular in motion) and keep it waxed, what else is "controllable" by the owner to prevent swirls? Much thanks.

RSPDiver
01-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Don't let the dealer wash it. They will try at every service. The dudes in the back that are responsible for washing and prepping work as fast as they can. If they have 10 cars to do in a day, and get them all jammed out by 2, they get to screw off for 3 hours. That's my impression and best educated guess, anyway, but it stands to reason. Bottom line, they probably aren't detail fanatics and don't love your car like you do. Many many many people on here have been swirled upon delivery (myself included) from the dealer preps. Damn shame, really!

Desertnate
01-12-2005, 06:52 AM
I didn't have swirls upon delivery, but I do now and come Spring my first major detail job will be to polish them all out.

Best I can tell mine resulted from dealer washings, using non-touchless car washes (I lived in a house with NO outside spigots), and possible fine grit in my wash/drying materials. Though not bad, the years have added up and I now have to do some extra work. Thank goodness it is silver!

Artslinger
01-12-2005, 07:15 AM
You live in Arizona so you can wash the car year round yourself following good detailing techniques. Contaminates on the paint and dirt in the mitts and towels are the main cause of swirling. And avoid car washes at all costs.