PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to wash my new wheels on my 05' 330ci Performance Package Wheels

330ciPfmcePkg05
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
I just got a new 2005 330ci with Performance Package, the wheels are M Double Spoke (Styling 135M) alloy wheels, 18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 8.5 rear; 225/40R-18 front, 225/35R-18 rear performance tires**...i would like to know what I should use when washing the wheels...my friends have recommended Meguiars...but i would like to know if anyone could recommend anything else more specific i could buy to use on the wheels? Thanks!

Frobozz
01-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I just use my car wash solution(Zaino) plus a foam paint brush, plus a lot of patience!

xspeedy
01-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Use the search tool. Tons of suggestions.

zoofa
01-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I know some people swear by Klasse for wheels, since unlike wax it doesn't soften with heat and trap brake dust. You probably can't go wrong with Meguiar's anything, though...what I use.

JonathanIT
01-17-2005, 02:24 AM
I heard wheel wax was a good product... but I haven't tried it myself yet. Anyone who has care to comment? I'd like to know myself.

Wheel Wax from Bimmian Products (http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bimmian103)

I love the look of those ZHP wheels, but honestly the they are too hard to clean for me... my OCD couldn't have handled it. I wipe my wheels down after every time I drive to keep them clean... I'm totally happy with my 71's; they are very easy to deal with and sparkle every time I drive :) Trying to dust in between those crevices in the double spokes whould have driven me insane with a ZHP!

--J.

LDV330i
01-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Some people think/complain it is too strong/harsh but I have used it for years with no detriment to the finishes of my wheels. I have tried many brands but it is the only one that comes close to removiing the majority of brake dust.
http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/images/2_21_product_1.jpg

330ciPfmcePkg05
01-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the replies...im a first time user and member to bimmerfest..i appreciate the help

Alex Baumann
01-17-2005, 07:41 AM
OK, people who know my detailing habits are going to shoot me for saying this, but after trying many good wheel cleaners, I once tried using warm water (not hot), a sponge and car shampoo. Believe it or not, it worked like a charm.

For stubborn dirt, you can still use a soft wheel brush.

:)

Dr. Phil
01-17-2005, 08:00 AM
OK, people who know my detailing habits are going to shoot me for saying this, but after trying many good wheel cleaners, I once tried using warm water (not hot), a sponge and car shampoo. Believe it or not, it worked like a charm.

:)
:stupid:

And for the small slots use a basic small household sponge. It fits in perfectly to clean that area :thumbup:

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-17-2005, 08:00 AM
If you had 245/35-18 tires, I'd tell you just to use soap and a brush. Unfortunately, that won't work AT ALL with 255/35-18, so you'll have to tongue your wheels clean.

I'm sorry.

Cliff
01-17-2005, 08:01 AM

:)...followed by 2 coats of Z2 :neener:

Alex Baumann
01-17-2005, 08:02 AM
...followed by 2 coats of Z2 :neener:

Hehe, I'm using P21S Wheel Wax. :p

Artslinger
01-17-2005, 10:08 AM
P21S wheel cleaner and a sponge, followed by AIO.

jetstream23
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Check the sticky Brake Dust thread as well.... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63945

It seems like Klasse is the way to go. Clean your wheels any way you like (i.e. the warm water, car shampoo, foam paintbrush, soft wheel brush methods above) and then give your wheels a good Klasse AIO treatment. That should make them much easier to clean next time around.

According to Nick, avoid Carnauba waxes on the wheels due to the heat.

1Dreamer
01-17-2005, 01:51 PM
After using Klasse AIO followed by 3 coats of Klasse SG and "boosting" it with Sonus Glanz spray after every 3 or 4 washes, I'm very impressed with it on paint. After 2.5 months or so it is showing no signs of diminishing, still beads up like crazy and still has the amazing showroom shine it did after the 3rd coat.

But for the wheels, I personally haven't noticed much difference in it making them easier to clean except right after I applied the AIO and SG. By the second wash it seemed the same as before I'd put anything on them. Perhaps the brake dust is just too harsh for anything to last long on wheels. :dunno:

I have some Klasse brand wheel cleaner I ordered along with my AIO and SG. Seems to do a pretty good job, but it's not made to be a spray on/hose off product. It loosens things up, but you still need to get in there with a sponge and/or soft brush to get it all off. I've heard/read that "spray & hose" products made to eat through the dust without any agitation will usually also eventually eat through the finish and are just too harsh for regular weekly use.

Since accepting that I need to use a brush or sponge anyway, I agree with others here that wam soapy water alone works well and I use that most of the time. For the stubborn stuff after a storm or whatever, I'm thinking of trying different dilutions of Simple Green Concentrate after I run out of the Klasse Wheel Cleaner. Some say it works just as well as anything else, won't damage the wheels (as long as you don't use the concentrate at full strength) and is cheaper than anything out there. It's also what some suggest is the ONLY thing you should wash your microfiber towels and applicators with.

MMME30W
01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
:stupid:

And for the small slots use a basic small household sponge. It fits in perfectly to clean that area :thumbup:

:stupid: Me too...but I use a 0.50 foam paint brush for between the spokes.

JonathanIT
01-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Once you decide on a good wax/finish to keep on the wheels, if you're into keeping them clean and wiping them down often for dust, this is a TERRIFIC detail spray that works really great for an easy wipe off:

Adam's Polishes Detail Spray (http://adamspolishes.com/site/department.cfm?id=1399AFFF-B3B2-4A39-A26A201A6FC206D2&killnav=1)

And it keeps them easy to clean, my wheels are nice and slippery after every use. Also a great general use detail spray (although for me I prefer Zaino Glossing Spray for my body painted surfaces becauses my car is Zaino'ed). I do sometimes use a combination for different surfaces (windows/bumbers/behind the wheel wells), and both are great. I buy them both by the case!

--J.

SARAFIL
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
If you had 245/35-18 tires, I'd tell you just to use soap and a brush. Unfortunately, that won't work AT ALL with 255/35-18, so you'll have to tongue your wheels clean.

I'm sorry.

Yes, be sure to use the special cleaning methods and products outlined in the ZHP addendum to the owner's manual. Failure to do so will void the warranty on all ZHP parts.

alee
01-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Yes, be sure to use the special cleaning methods and products outlined in the ZHP addendum to the owner's manual. Failure to do so will void the warranty on all ZHP parts.
:slap:

JAWJr
01-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I would add that Griots Garage wheel cleaner works great. The last time I washed my car (the third time ever), I Klasse AIO'd my wheels, and think they will make a difference. Already after a week there is less dust present. Who knows, maybe I'll have to apply it every other washing. :dunno: Either way, if there's some sort of wax present on your wheels, it's much easier to get down and give your wheels a proper cleaning.

~Jon

1Dreamer
01-17-2005, 10:09 PM
I Klasse AIO'd my wheels, and think they will make a difference. Already after a week there is less dust present. Who knows, maybe I'll have to apply it every other washing. :dunno: Either way, if there's some sort of wax present on your wheels, it's much easier to get down and give your wheels a proper cleaning. I agree there was definitely less dust right after applying AIO and SG to my wheels, and it the dust did slide right off in the beginning, but maybe it wasn't being realistic to expect to last longer. :dunno:

johnnygraphic
01-17-2005, 11:32 PM
You're better off just not washing your car at all and let it get nice and dirty. The wheels alone will drive you insane. No amount of anything will keep them clean. It will torment your soul until you buy another type of wheel.

I suppose it could be worse, the fins on ZHP's could be razor sharp and have blades poking out like in that chariot movie-what was it called? Ben Hur??? or something like that?

Ward 52, Room 17B. St Zee-Heche-Pei :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SARAFIL
01-18-2005, 06:00 AM
:slap:

It's the first time I've jumped onto the "make fun of people that ask silly ZHP-specific questions that aren't really ZHP-specific" bandwagon. Sorry.

:p