PDA

View Full Version : X3 - some problems in cold weather

BupBup
01-18-2005, 01:55 PM
This morning, the screen for my Nav system was black. It was 8 degrees here this morning. Anyone else have a problem with cold weather and the nav screen?

Two days after delivery, my steering wheel heater stopped working. and one of my speakers sounds like it is blown out (through no fault of my own).

I have a two week-old X3 3.0., with 1,050 miles

Desertnate
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
This morning, the screen for my Nav system was black. It was 8 degrees here this morning. Anyone else have a problem with cold weather and the nav screen?

Two days after delivery, my steering wheel heater stopped working. and one of my speakers sounds like it is blown out (through no fault of my own).

After things warmed up did the Nav screen come back. It isn't uncommon for displays like that to have problems in the extreme cold. Even the pixels on my radio have a hard time working in temps like you described.

Can't help with the steering wheel.

b-y
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Spotted this on another board:
"IF" your DVD Navigation display remains black and inoprative at low ambient temps (colder than 37*F) but then functions after all the electronic units have warmed up , and your X3 was made between 6/13/04 and 12/15/04 = ask your service dept. to look up B84 239 04 dated 12/20/04

exthree
01-19-2005, 05:54 AM

My screen only opened about 35% in near-zero weather. I called my dealer for advice aout this. Other than that it's running great in this climate.

BupBup
01-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I know, I know, it's a little ridiculous and I expect no sympathy. However, I did pay for the thing and it should work properly.

Steering wheel heater?? :rolleyes:

BupBup
01-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Spotted this on another board:

That's helpful, thanks

iChick
01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I know, I know, it's a little ridiculous and I expect no sympathy. However, I did pay for the thing and it should work properly.I'm not laughing. I'm envious. My hubby thought it was a wussy option, and I caved and didn't order it. ;)

BupBup
01-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I definitely agree. It's just that the thought of such extravagant things in our automobiles seems so...so...pompous. The days of the E30 M3 are gone.

It is such a great option to have on a cold day. No gloves, leather steering wheel and toasty-warm fingers. And cheap at $130, relative to all of the other options. I'd recommend it if it hadn't broken.

x3man
01-20-2005, 09:13 PM
It is such a great option to have on a cold day. No gloves, leather steering wheel and toasty-warm fingers. And cheap at $130, relative to all of the other options. I'd recommend it if it hadn't broken.

Certainly a bit decadent but worthy on cold morning drives without gloves.

maximus2773
02-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I got in my x3 last night in 5 degree temps. A loud exhaust sound, high rev'ing transmission, and what seemed like either the hill descent control was on or the brakes were grabbing.

It did this the whole way home, the thing would not accelerate on the highway. At stop signs and lights it was idling at about 1.5 RPM, and shaking like it was going to stall.

I got home successfully, turned it off, and back on, and it sounded fine.

This morning i let it warm up for a while, and it has been fine all day.

I am also feeling every bump up through the steering column, it is getting worse.

Anyone else having these issues?