PDA

View Full Version : Autoup drivers window lowering rear windows?

anderp
01-18-2005, 05:00 PM
The first time I thought I was crazy, the second I thought I pulled on the window button too hard. But this is happening twice daily and is driving me nuts. I park in a city garage for work and this has been randomly happening now for two weeks. New '05 delivered 2nd week of December. When I pull into the deck, I tap the drivers window down with one push of the button. After I've picked up the ticket, I pull up on the drivers window button and the drivers windows rises properly. However, randomly one or both of the rear windows will lower about four inches. I've looked in the owner's manual thinking this may be some feature I'm activating by hitting the drivers window button wrong, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it a feature and I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

12thBMW
01-23-2005, 12:00 PM
The first time I thought I was crazy, the second I thought I pulled on the window button too hard. But this is happening twice daily and is driving me nuts. I park in a city garage for work and this has been randomly happening now for two weeks. New '05 delivered 2nd week of December. When I pull into the deck, I tap the drivers window down with one push of the button. After I've picked up the ticket, I pull up on the drivers window button and the drivers windows rises properly. However, randomly one or both of the rear windows will lower about four inches. I've looked in the owner's manual thinking this may be some feature I'm activating by hitting the drivers window button wrong, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it a feature and I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

A friend of mine had a pre-production '04 X3 that did the same thing; it was a software glitch.

'05 X3 3.0i pp, cwp, prglas, tisilv/grey
'01 325i pp, sp
'00 528i pp
'96 328i pp
'95 325is

x3man
01-28-2005, 08:04 AM
This happened to me yesterday in a brand new 2005 X3 delivered in 2nd week of December (euro delivery.)

exthree
01-28-2005, 05:57 PM
This happened to me today after paying for and entering the car wash. Ther operator stopped the wash after he noticed my right rear window was down about 5".

I wondered if my palm was resting on the rear "down" switch while pulling up on the left front???

x3man
01-30-2005, 08:35 AM
I wondered if my palm was resting on the rear "down" switch while pulling up on the left front???

Unlikely. It is probably a software glitch.

anderp
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Since this has been happening to me twice a day, I have been experimenting with all kinds of variations. Like rear window control lock on and off, rear view mirror adjust switch left and right. Possibly pushing/pulling the buttons too hard, temperature, etc. Nothing makes a difference. I've been making sure I can duplicate it so the dealer doesn't think I'm nuts when I go in for service. There is no consitency to it, it doesn't depend on how long I've been driving, or anything. It's totally random and has to be like others say a software glitch.

I won't get in for service for a couple weeks, too busy, but when I do, I'll post what happens.

x3man
02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
This problem is really annoying me. Is there a TSB technical service bulletin for it?

exthree
02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm taking mine in on Tuesday. Agreed, it is a random event and difficult to duplicate.

exthree
02-10-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm taking mine in on Tuesday. Agreed, it is a random event and difficult to duplicate.

Well the service call went fine. The tech said that the computer was reset and all should be well. Guess what...it did it while driving home from the dealer!

anderp
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
That is sad to hear. I was afraid that without being able to demonstrate the problem, most service centers will claim they fixed it when it's not.

exthree
02-10-2005, 04:54 PM
That is sad to hear. I was afraid that without being able to demonstrate the problem, most service centers will claim they fixed it when it's not.

I think I'll let the tech take my X3 home for the weekend and let him experience the deal himself.

x3man
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM

I figured this would happen too. We should all file a defect investigation complaint with NHTSA. http://www.nhtsa.gov

arcticdog
02-11-2005, 08:45 AM
If you activate the rear window lock switch, do the rear windows still drop randomly?

I have experienced, more than once, when pushing down on the switch the certain window would NOT open, especially in very cold temperatures. I don't think the motor was powered, as I tried desperately to listen to any grinding that would suggest the glass frozen but the motor working.

Something weird with the switch module - (crossed current or no current...?? :tsk: BMW: maybe you should not be so cheap and better insulate the X3 doors! They sound as hollow as a Yugo's :thumbdwn: ! )

anderp
02-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I've tried every combination I could think of. To list a few, rear window lock on/off. Mirror switch left/right. Pulling hard, pulling soft. Short driving periods, long driving periods. Autoheadlights on/off. Tapping the rear window buttons prior to the front autoup. I've even got my wife experimenting with it whenever she takes the X3. After more than a month of messing with this I can find no consitancy or way to easily cause it.

By now I am used to pulling up on the two rear window buttons each time I hit the autoup. Even if this problem is ever fixed, I'm sure I will now forever pull the rear window buttons out of habit.

exthree
02-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Here's how it has happened a few times to me:

o Enter car wash
o Put shifter in neutral
o Express down driver window to pay
o Express up driver window
o ONE OR BOTH REAR WINDOWS DROP 4-5"

Let me know if anyone can duplicate???

x3man
02-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Here's how it has happened a few times to me:

o Enter car wash
o Put shifter in neutral
o Express down driver window to pay
o Express up driver window
o ONE OR BOTH REAR WINDOWS DROP 4-5"

Let me know if anyone can duplicate???

:rofl:

Seriously, I will try to see if I can reproduce the problem.

anderp
02-16-2005, 11:45 AM
This is one of the ways in which it happens to me. I pull into the parking deck, I've got an automatic so no neutral, grab ticket, start driving off and pull up on front window. Front window autoups and one or both rear go down. Unfortunately, since I do this twice a day, I find it's not reliably reproducable. For example, some mornings neither window goes down. In the evenings it rarely happens. This could be day temperature changes, possibly drivetime, car interior temp.

Adding more confusion to it, as I drive out of the city I hit about 20 traffic lights. So in my boredom, I play with the autoup window. Sometimes the rears will go down, sometime they won't. And again, no pattern, completely random to me.

And finally, I've never been able to reproduce this in my driveway, in the morning before I leave for work I see if it happens, when I get home at night, weekends. It's never happened once. Very strange.

bluegarvis
02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
This is one of the ways in which it happens to me. I pull into the parking deck, I've got an automatic so no neutral, grab ticket, start driving off and pull up on front window. Front window autoups and one or both rear go down. Unfortunately, since I do this twice a day, I find it's not reliably reproducable. For example, some mornings neither window goes down. In the evenings it rarely happens. This could be day temperature changes, possibly drivetime, car interior temp.

Adding more confusion to it, as I drive out of the city I hit about 20 traffic lights. So in my boredom, I play with the autoup window. Sometimes the rears will go down, sometime they won't. And again, no pattern, completely random to me.

And finally, I've never been able to reproduce this in my driveway, in the morning before I leave for work I see if it happens, when I get home at night, weekends. It's never happened once. Very strange.

In my opinion, as crazy as this sounds, there may be some for of RF (radio frquency) interference. As noted above, it happens when he enters a parking garage with some form of electronic gate. As noted further above it happens when he enters a car wash with electronic controls for the wash. I think this may be the common thread and why it cannot be re-produced outside of these areas. :dunno:

As far as how to fix this? I would find the service manger at my dealership of choice, explain in detail how it happens, perhaps even offer to go to the offending area and try to replicate it there (if the area is close).

x3man
02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
The rear passenger window lowers when closing the front driver's window. What is random is when it happens but what is not random is that it is triggered everytime by closing the driver's window. That suggests that it is not RFI and that it is not completely random. The front window never goes down automatically either - just the rear ones. I suspect that it is some sort of "state" problem. When the microcontroller or whatever controls it gets into a certain state, it happens. The challenge is to find how to get it into that state first. Knowing a little about the circuitry behind the window controllers would help as we are currently looking at it as a black box.

One thing that I'm curious about is why the rear windows are lowering at all and only for several inches. Why not completely? Could it be that the system thinks it's a rear window shade somehow?

Mtnbiker
02-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I thought I was going crazy when it first happened.

I was able to reproduce it two more times after I realized what caused it in the first place. Since then it only occurs at random and unpredictable times - never when I'm testing.

It seems to be common issue: lower the front window. Autoup the front window, and the passenger rear window drops 4".

I thought that maybe it was the window open routine from holding the key fob unlock button for 5 or 6 seconds. But that function lowers the all the windows 6 or so inches.

One time, lowering the rear passenger window caused the rear driver side window to lower 4".

This is very perplexing. I'll be interested to know how many others are experiencing this.

Update:
Going home from work last nite, I just fiddled with the up direction of the front two windows, and lo-and-behold the rear windows would drop down. Not consistantly, but once every 4 to 6 minutes of drive time. Wonder if there's a static charge building up somewhere that gets jumped when you flick the front window switch?

:dunno:

2005 3.0l Highland Green.

x3Pilot
03-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I have the same rear problem in my 2005 3.0i: one or both rear windows occasionally go down about half way when I raise the driver's window.

I went to the dealer about it and he ordered what he called a control module for the driver's door. He is scheduled to replace mine on Wednesday. I will let you know if it solves the problem.

In any case, don't be shy about bringing it to your dealer's attention even if you can't reproduce it for him. Get your issue down on record.

ceo2b
03-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Bulletins for 2004 BMW X3 (E83) L6-2494cc 2.5L DOHC (M54)

General Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 110703 MAR 04 Campaign - Engine Low Oil Level Warning
840104 FEB 04 Campaign - Telematics Control Unit Inspect/Replace
841903 FEB 04 Campaign - Telematics Control Unit Installation

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 090398 APR 04 Car & Key Memory - Programming/Coding Explanations
650104 APR 04 Radio - Reception Problems, Antenna Diagnosis
1120104 FEB 04 Engine - Cylinder Head Oil Leaks
1120204 FEB 04 Engine - Head Bolt Threads Pull Out of Block
1220204 JAN 04 Engine Controls - SES Lamp ON/DTC's 2896/2877/2766 Set
6520104 JAN 04 Instruments - Central Information Display (CID) Humming
6120403 NOV 03 Electrical - Battery Charger Sets Fault Codes
6620003 OCT 03 Keyless Entry - Remote Won't Lock/Unlock Vehicle

x3Pilot
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Dealer today replaced what he believes is a defective control module in the driver's door to solve problem of one or both rear windows occasionally going down half way when I activate the driver's window. After lots of attempts to duplicate the problem (in admittedly just one day), rear windows now remain up so MAYBE the problem is fixed.

Dealer also said that a new service bulletin lists an improved antenna (in the insider rear view mirror) for the remote alarm system. The remote on my key sometimes refuses to open the door, even when the button is being pressed right next to the car, so he has ordered me one.

-----------------------------------
X3 3.0i Silver Grey/Terracotta
6-speed
Premium
Xenon
Power Mirrors
Privacy Glass

x3man
04-14-2005, 08:48 AM
BMW NA says that there is no TSB for the window problem and that it is the first they have heard of it. Has anyone else contacted them? BTW - Not trying to beat them up - just want to get the problem fixed.

exthree
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
A BMW NA person was monitoring this site and told me there is a fix communicated to BMW service departments for the window problem. I took my X3 to the dealer last month, and they did indeed fix it once and for all!

x3man
04-14-2005, 08:43 PM
A BMW NA person was monitoring this site and told me there is a fix communicated to BMW service departments for the window problem. I took my X3 to the dealer last month, and they did ineed fix it once and for all!

What did they do to fix it?

exthree
04-17-2005, 05:27 PM
They installed a new drivers window module and/or reprogrammed same.

BMWNA
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
BMW NA says that there is no TSB for the window problem and that it is the first they have heard of it. Has anyone else contacted them? BTW - Not trying to beat them up - just want to get the problem fixed.

Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read about this problem with the windows in your X3. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200511100479 so that we can help you more efficiently.