PDA

View Full Version : AM cuts in and out under over pass

fill007
01-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I've notice that when listening to AM, the sounds fade in and out when I drive under an over pass on the freeway. Anyone noticed this?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Have you ever listened to AM before?

Plaz
01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I smell a class-action lawsuit coming. :lmao:

Lanc3r
01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Have you ever listened to AM before?

:stupid: :bustingup

fill007
01-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Yes I have, I enjoy news and traffic reports when I commute. The fade in and out is noticable.

BahnBaum
01-23-2005, 04:38 AM
I smell a class-action lawsuit coming. :lmao:

:rofl:

Alex

xspeedy
01-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes I have, I enjoy news and traffic reports when I commute. The fade in and out is noticable.

I'll just answer your question. AM always does this. It isn't your radio.

fill007
01-23-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm only raising the issue for this because it never happen in my 2001 Accord. I guess Hondas have an exceptionaly good AM reciever. But if everyone states its normal, I'm a lost for words. :dunno: But thanks for the input.

dikkius
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I've got a similar problem--my X3 usually can drive in a straight line, but whenever I rotate that big knob that's right in front of the driver's seat, the darn thing just refuses to go straight. I turn it to the right, and the WHOLE VEHICLE goes to the right, etc. The weird thing is, when I'm in reverse, the exact opposite happens. The car just does not want to go straight!

Also, I'm having major problems with the panoramic sunroof. Whenever I open it in the middle of a rainstorm, the whole passenger compartment gets wet! Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

:rofl:

Desertnate
02-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm only raising the issue for this because it never happen in my 2001 Accord. I guess Hondas have an exceptionaly good AM reciever. But if everyone states its normal, I'm a lost for words. :dunno: But thanks for the input.

I'm surprised you have never had any problems before. Every car I have been in, to include a 96 Honda Accord, had issues with AM when going under over passes, driving in areas with large buildings ect....

Its the nature of the beast.

arcticdog
02-11-2005, 08:14 AM
The interesting thing with AM is sometimes, especially when terrain is relatively flat and open, you can pick up stations that are broadcasting over a hundred miles away. With FM you're lucky to get something if you're 50 miles away from the broadcast source. Because of the "size" of AM radio waves, they are able to "travel" farther, but are more susceptible to obstructions, such as overpasses. Of course the type and quality of the antenna has an effect on radio reception. Did the HONDA have a metal antenna stick out from the body? The X3's AM/FM antenna is embedded into the hatch glass, I believe. (The roof sharkfin is for satellite.)

fill007
02-11-2005, 11:36 AM
The interesting thing with AM is sometimes, especially when terrain is relatively flat and open, you can pick up stations that are broadcasting over a hundred miles away. With FM you're lucky to get something if you're 50 miles away from the broadcast source. Because of the "size" of AM radio waves, they are able to "travel" farther, but are more susceptible to obstructions, such as overpasses. Of course the type and quality of the antenna has an effect on radio reception. Did the HONDA have a metal antenna stick out from the body? The X3's AM/FM antenna is embedded into the hatch glass, I believe. (The roof sharkfin is for satellite.)

The Honda had an internal antenna in the glass like the X3. I just never noticed the fading in the accord.

arcticdog
02-11-2005, 12:15 PM
The Honda had an internal antenna in the glass like the X3. I just never noticed the fading in the accord.

There have been a few instances where the embedded antenna (in other BMW models, not necessarily the X3) was defective/caused interference/static with other devices or the defroster, etc. It required complete replacement of the window.

You could also try to drive faster through the overpass! :D