PDA

View Full Version : Need New Key

Deerfield87
01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
New member - 2000 328i

I need a new, fully functioning electronic key and my dealer wants to charge me $140.00.

Does anyone know any way around this? Do I have to get it through the dealer?

Does 140 sound correct?

Thanks.

James
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
New member - 2000 328i

I need a new, fully functioning electronic key and my dealer wants to charge me $140.00.

Does anyone know any way around this? Do I have to get it through the dealer?

Does 140 sound correct?

Thanks.
I think you have to get it through A dealer, but perhaps not that dealer. Have you phoned around?

James.

JonathanIT
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Doesn't sound that bad actually, the Lexus dealer wants over $300 for a replacement remote key on our old '90 LS400. We decided to keep using the broken one!

--J.

jcatral14
04-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Old skool :bump:
I lost one of my keys :bawling: how much to replace? $140? Now I'm really crying :bawling:

icy_m
05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
that's the going price at my dealer also. so i guess it's the same across the board. I paid
$175 for a new key on a 00 mitsu. eclipse a few years ago

Babak
05-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I recently checked on this as we have to order one for ours. 132 USD and that includes a spare valet key. It has to come from the dealer and you have to present them with the registration or title. It takes 72 hrs and comes pre coded.

Passenger
05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
So what do they charge to sort out a key that's flat, may have lost it's memory, and now won't work ?

wag-zhp
05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
So what do they charge to sort out a key that's flat, may have lost it's memory, and now won't work ?
Do you mean "Flat" as in run over by a steam roller, or "Flat" as in a dead battery? The 1st will require a new key. The 2nd may just need to be recharged. That is done by driving the car with that key in the ignition switch. Depending on how non-functional the key is, you might be facing a catch-22 situation and have to go to a dealer to get it recharged and reprogramed. But even if the key's battery is totally dead, I believe it should still start the car and allow you to drive. It just won't do any of the remote unlocking and key memory stuff.

Passenger
05-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Cheers Wag,
So it should deactivate the alarm and imobiliser once it's in the ignition ?
I'll Give it a go.

...and if it deactivates the alarm and imobiliser from the ignition, it just needs a good charge to restore the remote function, yes?

epbrown
05-11-2005, 11:05 AM
If you haven't used the key in a long time, it will need to be recharged and reset. Recharging comes from driving with the key in the ignition for at least 30 minutes. Resetting means unlocking all doors with your good key, and putting your good key in the ignition and turning to position 1 (computer and radio on). Switch off within 5 seconds, remove the key and press the UNLOCK button 3 times WHILE simultaneously holding down the LOCK button (with the logo on it). When you release the LOCK button, your doors should lock and unlock. Within 30 seconds, reset your 2nd key the same way: hold down the UNLOCK button, press LOCK 3 times. Again, the doors should lock and unlock.

Both keys are now reset.

I did this Sunday because one of my keys was dead when I bought the car; I found the instructions on the net.

Emanuel

wag-zhp
05-11-2005, 02:38 PM
epbrown, Very neat trick! I would have figured that a reprogram would require a trip to the dealership. :thumbup:

elmalloc
05-12-2005, 04:27 AM
If you haven't used the key in a long time, it will need to be recharged and reset. Recharging comes from driving with the key in the ignition for at least 30 minutes. Resetting means unlocking all doors with your good key, and putting your good key in the ignition and turning to position 1 (computer and radio on). Switch off within 5 seconds, remove the key and press the UNLOCK button 3 times WHILE simultaneously holding down the LOCK button (with the logo on it). When you release the LOCK button, your doors should lock and unlock. Within 30 seconds, reset your 2nd key the same way: hold down the UNLOCK button, press LOCK 3 times. Again, the doors should lock and unlock.

Both keys are now reset.

I did this Sunday because one of my keys was dead when I bought the car; I found the instructions on the net.

Emanuel

Finally, eat banana and make monkey noise while spinning in 350 degree circle (not 360), then throw keys up in air and clap hands 3 times BEFORE catching them - and now keys are truly reset.

Passenger
05-12-2005, 04:43 AM
I'd better take it to the dealer then.
I don't like bananas.

epbrown
05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Finally, eat banana and make monkey noise while spinning in 350 degree circle (not 360), then throw keys up in air and clap hands 3 times BEFORE catching them - and now keys are truly reset.

I know how it sounds - amazing how something simple can sound very complicated when you write it out. I mean, it's a pretty long way of saying "turn the key on, then off, remove it and press the lock button 3x while holding the unlock button - you're set. Repeat for each key, you've got 30 seconds."

But you never know, so too much info is better than too little. On a Porsche forum once, someone asked how many quarts does a 911SC need. We replied 10 or 11. Next post was from the same guy, who'd now overfilled it engine and had oil everywhere - he'd done an oil change but didn't know (and hadn't asked) about the oil tank that needed draining in addition to the sump.

Emanuel

BimmerBerryNYC
03-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I know how it sounds - amazing how something simple can sound very complicated when you write it out. I mean, it's a pretty long way of saying "turn the key on, then off, remove it and press the lock button 3x while holding the unlock button - you're set. Repeat for each key, you've got 30 seconds."

But you never know, so too much info is better than too little. On a Porsche forum once, someone asked how many quarts does a 911SC need. We replied 10 or 11. Next post was from the same guy, who'd now overfilled it engine and had oil everywhere - he'd done an oil change but didn't know (and hadn't asked) about the oil tank that needed draining in addition to the sump.

Emanuel

Well I did this and now my good key doesn't work as well as the one that wasn't working!!! :mad:

AzNMpower32
03-18-2006, 09:59 AM
$140 sounds about right; I think my dealer wants to charge more for extra keys.

We tried to get a replacement key for our Lexus since it only came with one when we bought it used. Unfortunately, they couldnt make a duplicate likely because the codes dont match because the ignition switch had been replaced before. So we're stuck with one key :(

BimmerBerryNYC
03-18-2006, 07:48 PM
ok ok I finally got it. It worked when i put the key in for 3 seconds rather than 5. weird! BUT IT WORKED!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... I love this BOARD! :thumbup:

tsp
10-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Amazing! It worked! I did a key that had never worked since the car was new (2002)!

Now how do I get the doors to lock when I drive off? :)

Thanks!
tsp
2002 330Ci

jonesy
10-24-2006, 01:31 AM
I recently checked on this as we have to order one for ours. 132 USD and that includes a spare valet key. It has to come from the dealer and you have to present them with the registration or title. It takes 72 hrs and comes pre coded.

I understand that the dealer can re-programme any key work with your vehicle, and the physical key itself can be cut by a locksmith. Hence the reason that people sell lost/found BMW keys on eBay. So a recycled key might be an option, but you'd have no recourse if it didn't work.

mmendoza
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I just purchased a 2000 528i and I am havivng the same problems with the key. Neither of the two keys I received works the locks. I can start the car and drive it, but I have to lock it manually. I tried the tips mentioned (putting key in igniton for 5 sec., taking it out press and hold the lock button, pressing and releasing the unlock button three times and then letting go of both buttons simultaneously). Nothing happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melquin
09-14-2008, 10:18 AM
I just purchased a 2000 528i and I am havivng the same problems with the key. Neither of the two keys I received works the locks. I can start the car and drive it, but I have to lock it manually. I tried the tips mentioned (putting key in igniton for 5 sec., taking it out press and hold the lock button, pressing and releasing the unlock button three times and then letting go of both buttons simultaneously). Nothing happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As I read it the proper procedure is actually the opposite of what I see above. (Should be holding the unlock button while pressing the lock button three times.)

see:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46#Remote_lock.2Funlock_on_your_key_not_worki ng.3F

Also a possibility that the batteries are shot. I am not sure on the 2000 5-series, but do you know if you have the rechargeable style key or the older ones with disposable batteries

mmendoza
09-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I tried holding the unlock button down while pressing the lock button down three times. No go! I read my manual and it's states that I have the rechargeable style key.

slyfocks
09-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I tried holding the unlock button down while pressing the lock button down three times. No go! I read my manual and it's states that I have the rechargeable style key.

I takes a while to charge a completely dead key, but with both not working it seems unlikely that neither key was used for long enough for them both to go dead. So it could be bad batteries or and antenna problem.

One other thing to make sure of in regards to the above procedure. that I have seen some people have difficulty with, is that you are turning the key to KL-R (run position not just accessories, but not starting) and also that all of the doors are closed before beginning.

see:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3354717&postcount=2

mmendoza
09-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Will give it a go.