PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires

x3man
01-26-2005, 09:09 AM
What snow tires are recommended for the X3 (standard package)? Tirerack recommends Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. Are these best? What about for all-season? The Pirelli Scorpions didn't do so well in the snow today. I'd like something that can improve turning and braking traction. If an all-season can do it, that's okay but I have no problem with switching tires/wheels either.

stevenw66
01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
I have the same issues with scorpions All season tires. They hydroplane in the snow!

Tirerack.com recommends Pirelli PZero Neco M&S as the best all season tire for X3 as the best compramise. Here in Maryland we normally only get 3-5" maybe twice a year so it doesn't seem like dedicated snow tires are justified but I am really not happy with the Scorpions.

Anybody have the Pirelli PZero's?

kyfdx
01-27-2005, 08:37 AM
What snow tires are recommended for the X3 (standard package)? Tirerack recommends Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. Are these best? What about for all-season? The Pirelli Scorpions didn't do so well in the snow today. I'd like something that can improve turning and braking traction. If an all-season can do it, that's okay but I have no problem with switching tires/wheels either.

If you want snow tires.... then the Dunlops will probably give you the best snow performance..

Normally, I'd recommend the Bridgestone LM-22s.. as they have better dry-road handling, which is what most people experience more of through the winter.. But, it seems your needs fall farther on the snow performance side of things...

sonicf
01-28-2005, 08:22 PM
I got the bundled style 112 wheels with dunlop wintersports for $425 each plus tax from the dealer. X3 accessory book MSRP $450. This was only a few hundred more than aftermarket wheels & tires and I know I got the exact fit including proper offset. All aftermarket were 6mm off. Everyone said it wouldn't matter, but i have had trouble in the past and it wasn't worth the risk to me. I wanted the suspension geometry to be exactly what the engineers intended.

I am VERY happy with the Wintersports driving up in the colorado rockies driving in very bad road conditions, (icy, snowpack, and about 3 inch fresh, but not real deep- yet). Passed several accidents. X-drive is great. Not sure how they will wear. Dry pavement is no issue, but I still have not driven on the original tires for comparison. Picked up the car and headed straight for the snow.