PDA

View Full Version : Should I let the dealer detail my new car?

dcrocker
01-31-2005, 06:46 PM
I know this has been asked before and the answer has been no. So, sorry for the
possibly annoying repeat question. Here's my dilemma:

I assume that when a car is received from shipping, it's quite dirty. It seems that
if it's not washed before I inspect it, the dirt may hide some damage to the paint that
I would be able to see after it's clean. I'm afraid I'm going to miss something when
I take delivery and then will have a hard time getting it fixed later. I asked the dealer
about having them do the detailing and he assured me that they do "top of the line"
detailing and I have nothing to worry about. Of course, this is what he has to say :) .
He also seems to be quite hung up on delivering me a dirty car. I suppose I
can understand this. I did ask if they would be willing to skip the detailing and he said
he could do that if I wanted him to.

So, I'm undecided. The car is white in case it matters (I think it does as I think lighter
colors are less touchy in this regard). All things being equal, I'd rather pick up a
shiny car as opposed to a grimey one.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Dan

wheel-man
01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
why not go in and see who and how they are detailing?

i have to say the guy at my dealer is really good and treats each car as his own. he's also very willing to use/do what the customer wants.... and is happy with pocketing a $20-40 each time.

i feel good letting him detail my car since the day i got it, till now... not all the time mind you, i like to caress my baby as well... since i can help him out during the slow months and does it right.

but i'm sure other people's experiences differ from mine.

jetstream23
01-31-2005, 11:01 PM
If you make one or two phone calls to your dealer or send a few emails demonstrating that you are VERY particular about the condition of the paint and the car upon delivery then your salesperson (if he's good) should help you out. I sent emails to my sales guy telling him how worried I was about my Jet Black car and swirl marks. I also said I wanted the VPC report which is the report of any problems that were corrected at the port when the vehicle arrived in country. He quickly got the impression that I wasn't his usual customer.

I asked him point blank, "how good are your service guys? C'mon, be honest, what would you let them do and not let them do if it was your brand new Jet Black car?" Long story, short, he had them clean it and not put any waxes or other products on it. 6 days after I got it I did a detailed wash, Klasse AIO and 2 coats of SG treatment.

dcrocker
02-01-2005, 04:32 PM
If you make one or two phone calls to your dealer or send a few emails demonstrating that you are VERY particular about the condition of the paint and the car upon delivery then your salesperson (if he's good) should help you out. I sent emails to my sales guy telling him how worried I was about my Jet Black car and swirl marks. I also said I wanted the VPC report which is the report of any problems that were corrected at the port when the vehicle arrived in country. He quickly got the impression that I wasn't his usual customer.

I asked him point blank, "how good are your service guys? C'mon, be honest, what would you let them do and not let them do if it was your brand new Jet Black car?" Long story, short, he had them clean it and not put any waxes or other products on it. 6 days after I got it I did a detailed wash, Klasse AIO and 2 coats of SG treatment.

Yes, I may do this. Maybe having them just wash it is a good compromise. This lets
me inspect a clean car for issues. It also lets me drive away a brand new car that
doesn't look like crap :) . It seems to me that as long as they don't run it thru
a carwash, it would be really hard to put swirl marks on a white car.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Dan

Spectre
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
It's a white car, so it would be hard but not impossible for them to do something noticeable to the paint. Worst case, you may have to polish the paint during your first detailing. On a dark car, I really don't think I would let my dealer wash the car -- mine uses an machine to do the work and it's one of those hanging strips of swirl mark maker. :(

Speed00
02-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I took my car to BMW for the first oil change sine I bought my car. I have never owned a BMW before...... It took 1-1/2 hours. So when I asked where my car was, they said "They are just finishing the wash right now". I was like..... :dunno: I was not angry, but I told them you should warn first time customers. I appreciate the effort, but I alone wash my car even though this BMW offers detailing for $200 and should know what they are doing. Main point was I just washed it 3 days earlier and it wasn't dirty, and they were wasting my time.

BahnBaum
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Main point was I just washed it 3 days earlier and it wasn't dirty, and they were wasting my time.
I don't let my dealer was mine, but when I see them do it I can't believe it takes more than 5 minutes. They're pretty damn quick.

Alex

Alex Baumann
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
No !

Cliff
02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.tmk.com/transient/donotwash.pdf

:D

dcrocker
02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
No !

Can I interpret this No! as a response to my question about my plan being
reasonable? :)

If so, then how do I inspect the condition of a potentially very dirty car? Or, will
it likely not be too dirty to inspect?

Dan

BahnBaum
02-02-2005, 01:53 PM
If so, then how do I inspect the condition of a potentially very dirty car? Or, will

Dan

Some of us here would recommend that upon receipt of the vehicle at the dealership, you personally wash the car on your own with a sterile, microfiber Q-tip and holy water. Then, assuming that all looks well, pay for it.

What I would do (and did) is let my salesman know that I expected the car to be new delivery clean, but that I would also inspect it for swirls and that he ought to make sure the dealer's prep people treated it accordingly. Car looked clean and was swirl-free when I took delivery.

If you're talking about a full detail, that's different and I'd agree with all the NOs above.

Alex

Alex Baumann
02-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Can I interpret this No! as a response to my question about my plan being
reasonable? :)

Dan

Dan, just let them to wash the car, if possible hand-wash (tell your sales guy that you'd even pay it if neccessary), but kindly refuse the detailing. A few swirls won't hurt the paint and they can be removed later either by yourself or by a professional detailer. I'm a little bit skeptical about dealership detailing (no offense to any dealers ;) )

When clean, inspect the car (preferably in a well lit place) and report any damage or scratch immediately.

Wash yes, detail no.

dcrocker
02-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Dan, just let them to wash the car, if possible hand-wash (tell your sales guy that you'd even pay it if neccessary), but kindly refuse the detailing. A few swirls won't hurt the paint and they can be removed later either by yourself or by a professional detailer. I'm a little bit skeptical about dealership detailing (no offense to any dealers ;) )

When clean, inspect the car (preferably in a well lit place) and report any damage or scratch immediately.

Wash yes, detail no.

OK, this makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Dan

dcrocker
02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.tmk.com/transient/donotwash.pdf

:D

Funny, yet useful ;)