PDA

View Full Version : Wiper system

x3man
02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
The X3 wiper system drinks like a fish in the ocean. Is there any reason why the rear wiper has to spray THREE times instead of once? Is there a way to independently control the headlight washers and/or disable them? It's very wasteful.

FireFly
02-07-2005, 05:09 PM
You can unplug the headlight washers. Go under the hood and look near the filler tank. There is an electrical connection- undo it and wrap the ends in tape to protect them. Headlamp washers will no longer work until re-connected. I did this to the X3 and my 330xi and only connect them when I go skiing.

/Joe

LeucX3
02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Maybe it's so that for the first sweep it'll get some spray, then after the second sweep, it'll get some fluid in the other direction and then the same for the third?

I haven't really paid attention to it so i cant' tell you in enough time goes by for the wiper to make a sweep before the next spray shoots.

dikkius
02-09-2005, 10:43 AM
The X3 wiper system drinks like a fish in the ocean. Is there any reason why the rear wiper has to spray THREE times instead of once? Is there a way to independently control the headlight washers and/or disable them? It's very wasteful.

You're driving a $40,000 truck and you're complaining about wiper fluid which costs all of $1.59 a gallon?

sppuddsy
02-09-2005, 11:20 AM
You're driving a $40,000 truck and your complaining about wiper fluid which costs all of $1.59 a gallon?
You know it's not the money.....it's the notion of wasting all that fluid.....and it really only cost $.99 a gallon, on sale....... :rofl:

D.D.
02-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I too would like to disconnect this washer system, as I do not want the fluid sprayed all over the vehicle. :thumbdwn: I checked under the hood as suggested, but found there are two electrical connector plugs attached to the washer tank. Which one should be disconnected??? Thank you for the help.....I really want to stop the fluid all over the truck!

motordavid
02-15-2005, 06:22 AM
You can skip having the rear window wiper on=no spray there... :D

J/K'ng...but, be careful running that rear wiper often or for long
periods: that rear blade picks up large amounts of grit from rear
window. Will quickly produce that "mini-van look" of scratches
and a scrape wedge on rear window.
BR,md

D.D.
02-15-2005, 04:45 PM
OK.......................So which plug should I undo? :dunno: :dunno:

FireFly
02-15-2005, 05:38 PM
OK.......................So which plug should I undo? :dunno: :dunno:

I don't have a picture handy but will take on over the weekend. The plug should be vertical if that helps. And when you unplug it, you will have 2 dangling ends to wrap up.

note- you can't just pull them apart! You must look at it and then push in the plastic tab and then pull apart.

/Joe

x3man
02-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Is there some way to change the setting so that the rear wiper only sprays once or twice instead of three times? Can it be programmed? Also, is there a way to change how often the front headlight washers come on? I'd rather it come on every 6 times instead of 4.

D.D.
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks FireFly! :thumbup: :thumbup:

FireFly
02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks FireFly! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Did you find it or do I need to take a picture?

D.D.
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Wife has the car............I'll check tomorrow when she returns home and let you know if I need the pic. I appreciate the time....... :thumbup: :thumbup:

D.D.
02-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Firefly.........Just checked the fluid tank. There are TWO verticle plugs in the front. Do I disconnect both of these?, or just one, ( left or right)? :dunno: Thanks for the time...Dale

FireFly
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
The white thing on the left is where you want to pull the connection out. The white thing on the right is what gets disconnected and will be left hanging. I put a balloon on each connection to keep the crud out but would suggest you wrap with electrical tape.

/Joe

D.D.
02-18-2005, 05:03 PM
WOW!!!! Thanks Joe! I REALLY appreciate the pic and all your help! :thumbup: I'll be out there tomorrow disconnecting and sealing the ends! :rofl: Dale

FireFly
02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
You actually did me a favor. I used a balloon on the X3 and realized it is starting to show signs of wear. I used eletrical tape on the 330xi and it has held up and will do the same on the X3 this weekend.

D.D.
02-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Joe...........Just did the disconnect.....I am now headlight washer free! :rofl: I had these on my 930 Turbo and disconnected them as soon as I drove the car home. I really do not like to wash the car with washer fluid.....especially when I am unable to remove it from the hood because of freezing weather! Thanks for advice and info! :thumbup: :thumbup: Dale