PDA

View Full Version : IPOD and/or Sirius

lbalk
02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I have not gotten consistent answers on whether I can have an IPOD and the Sirius radio at the same time. The final answer apparently came form a BMW engineer who said you get one or the other. My first question is does anyone know if this is true. The second question if this is true can I use the CD changer port as referenced in some of the emails for the IPOD and still install the Sirius radio.

tom@densionusa
02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I have not gotten consistent answers on whether I can have an IPOD and the Sirius radio at the same time. The final answer apparently came form a BMW engineer who said you get one or the other. My first question is does anyone know if this is true. The second question if this is true can I use the CD changer port as referenced in some of the emails for the IPOD and still install the Sirius radio.

You can with ice>Link Plus, we have a BMW Sirius-specific kit available to run both devices seamlessly.

sonicf
02-08-2005, 09:29 PM
tom - I have a 3 pin, 6 pin, & coax in my center console. I am pretty sure that the 6 pin is from the feed thru on the sirius reciever in the back. why wouldn't the icelink hook directly to that instead of needing the Sirius specific kit or the DSP kit? (2005 with sirius (prewired) and premium sound)

You can with ice>Link Plus, we have a BMW Sirius-specific kit available to run both devices seamlessly.

tom@densionusa
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
tom - I have a 3 pin, 6 pin, & coax in my center console. I am pretty sure that the 6 pin is from the feed thru on the sirius reciever in the back. why wouldn't the icelink hook directly to that instead of needing the Sirius specific kit or the DSP kit? (2005 with sirius (prewired) and premium sound)

It's hard to say - was there a CD changer present in the vehicle ever? More than likely, you will need the DSP setup. If you find the DSP converter is not needed, we can take the DSP portion of the kit as a return.

scblur22
02-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Oh I can assure you that you CANNOT have both. I just bought a new 05 X3 and asked several times, in plain lanaguage, was this possible?? The answer was a resounding yes, but it in fact is not. The BMW dealer apologized, but that's about it. I bought the car on the premise that you could have both, as my salesman assured me. I have the navigation system, so I don't know if this holds true for the X3s w/o nav. Oh-and satellite and a 6-disc changer... forget that too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

tom@densionusa
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh I can assure you that you CANNOT have both. I just bought a new 05 X3 and asked several times, in plain lanaguage, was this possible?? The answer was a resounding yes, but it in fact is not. The BMW dealer apologized, but that's about it. I bought the car on the premise that you could have both, as my salesman assured me. I have the navigation system, so I don't know if this holds true for the X3s w/o nav. Oh-and satellite and a 6-disc changer... forget that too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Your dealer is wrong. In order to get both devices, you will need the BMW CD Changer cable: BMW Part Number 84.11.0.150.532 - BMW/Sirius SDARS Interface/Extension Cable.

We're doing the same with our ice>Link Plus, which emulates a BMW CD Changer.

scblur22
02-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Your dealer is wrong. In order to get both devices, you will need the BMW CD Changer cable: BMW Part Number 84.11.0.150.532 - BMW/Sirius SDARS Interface/Extension Cable.

We're doing the same with our ice>Link Plus, which emulates a BMW CD Changer.

***Let me rephrase that: you cannot have both the ipod and sat radio work through your steering wheel and on the nav screen, it's one or the other. you can have both the ipod and sat radio, but you would have to control the ipod by hand, so really, what's the point????

tom@densionusa
02-10-2005, 01:42 PM
***Let me rephrase that: you cannot have both the ipod and sat radio work through your steering wheel and on the nav screen, it's one or the other. you can have both the ipod and sat radio, but you would have to control the ipod by hand, so really, what's the point????

Wrong again. The ice>Link Plus allows for both to be controlled as if it were offered from factory, the same goes for your CD Changer if you decide to go that route. The BMW OEM iPod kit isn't even compatible with NAV, much less Sirius.

I would recommend speaking with another dealer. I would rather have a dealer say "I don't know", rather than give misleading information.

scblur22
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Wrong again. The ice>Link Plus allows for both to be controlled as if it were offered from factory, the same goes for your CD Changer if you decide to go that route. The BMW OEM iPod kit isn't even compatible with NAV, much less Sirius.

I would recommend speaking with another dealer. I would rather have a dealer say "I don't know", rather than give misleading information.

I have been to several dealers and some very good aftermarket folks too. They all say the same. Do you actually have this setup up and working? If so, I'm all ears, but until I hear someone who has it working and on the nav screen, and controllable by the steering wheel, I'm still a little skeptical. It would be AWESOME if you are right, and maybe we should send a note to BMW because my dealer (s) said several people have asked this question.

tom@densionusa
02-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I have been to several dealers and some very good aftermarket folks too. They all say the same. Do you actually have this setup up and working? If so, I'm all ears, but until I hear someone who has it working and on the nav screen, and controllable by the steering wheel, I'm still a little skeptical. It would be AWESOME if you are right, and maybe we should send a note to BMW because my dealer (s) said several people have asked this question.

We actually have offered the kit since July of 2004, it has been tested on numerous e46 M3s, including NAV. Feel free to give your dealer my information and I will be happy to explain personally.

Here is a post to the M3 we performed the installation on in-house, he can give you information as well: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=38294

scblur22
02-10-2005, 02:00 PM
We actually have offered the kit since July of 2004, it has been tested on numerous e46 M3s, including NAV. Feel free to give your dealer my information and I will be happy to explain personally.

Here is a post to the M3 we performed the installation on in-house, he can give you information as well: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=38294

OK, that sounds great. One last question: I already have the cd changer port used up with the sat radio, so would the ice kit be connected to the port with a Y connector of some sort? The problem (from what I understand...) is that there is only one expansion port on the X3s with NAV. So you can have ipod, sat, or cd changer, but not more than one. Does your kit have a way around this? If so, I'll be ordereing one soon:) The basic problem is 2 inputs wanted, and only one input connection port.

scblur22
02-10-2005, 02:05 PM
OK, that sounds great. One last question: I already have the cd changer port used up with the sat radio, so would the ice kit be connected to the port with a Y connector of some sort? The problem (from what I understand...) is that there is only one expansion port on the X3s with NAV. So you can have ipod, sat, or cd changer, but not more than one. Does your kit have a way around this? If so, I'll be ordereing one soon:) The basic problem is 2 inputs wanted, and only one input connection port.
I saw the pics, looks great...... how long until the glitches are fixed? If I orderded the kit, would someone around here, or even the BMW dealer know how to do the install? How much is the kit?

tom@densionusa
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Here's a picture of the slave port in the Sirius brain, we will be interfacing off of that port:

http://www.densionusa.com/forum/Siriusconn.JPG

Hope this helps!

tom@densionusa
02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
I saw the pics, looks great...... how long until the glitches are fixed? If I orderded the kit, would someone around here, or even the BMW dealer know how to do the install? How much is the kit?

No glitches, the kit is fully functional. We are shipping as we speak.

As for installation, feel free to give your BMW Service technician my phone number @ 562.595.5153 x115 (I can provide full information in email if you wish) and I will be more than happy to anwser any questions he may have.

lbalk
02-13-2005, 07:45 PM
No glitches, the kit is fully functional. We are shipping as we speak.

As for installation, feel free to give your BMW Service technician my phone number @ 562.595.5153 x115 (I can provide full information in email if you wish) and I will be more than happy to anwser any questions he may have.

If I understand this correctly, You plug the kit into the back of the Sirius adapter not the cd changer. Either way I am in, I just have tow wait till the Sirius radios show up. How do I get the kit , information and how much is it.

tom@densionusa
02-14-2005, 10:25 AM
If I understand this correctly, You plug the kit into the back of the Sirius adapter not the cd changer. Either way I am in, I just have tow wait till the Sirius radios show up. How do I get the kit , information and how much is it.

I am finishing up the BMW suppliment as we speak, I'm about a week away - in the meantime information can be found on our website. As for the BMW/Sirius-specific kit - it retails for $239.

lbalk
02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I am finishing up the BMW suppliment as we speak, I'm about a week away - in the meantime information can be found on our website. As for the BMW/Sirius-specific kit - it retails for $239.

I may be missing something Obvious but what is the website ? I am waiting for the Sirius adaptr from BMW to come in. I expect it any day or week now. I would like to have the kit fo rthe IPOD available so I can implment both at the same time.

Thank You

bredi
02-15-2005, 12:32 AM
great products!
www.densionusa.com

I was about to get the bmw part for my new X3 I'm ordering, but his seems to be much better. especially since you can control the iPod more and get the premium package.

Th icelink is compatable with the bmw premium packages right?
because the iPod adapter is not.

what is the difference with the icelink 1.1 and the icelink plus?
i'm a little confused about the compatibility section.
i have a 2000ci standard stereo. looks like this will work.
i'm buying an X3
if I get the standard radio then this will work.
if i get the premium package, then i'll need the DSP converter right?
or does the X3 have the 3pin and coax mentioned?

thanks

tom@densionusa
02-15-2005, 10:39 AM
I may be missing something Obvious but what is the website ? I am waiting for the Sirius adaptr from BMW to come in. I expect it any day or week now. I would like to have the kit fo rthe IPOD available so I can implment both at the same time.

Thank You

Our website is www.densionusa.com, the kit can be ordered via the website or by contacting me directly at tom@densionusa.com.

The Sirius ice>Link Plus kits are currently shipping.

tom@densionusa
02-15-2005, 10:46 AM
great products!
www.densionusa.com

I was about to get the bmw part for my new X3 I'm ordering, but his seems to be much better. especially since you can control the iPod more and get the premium package.

Th icelink is compatable with the bmw premium packages right?
because the iPod adapter is not.

what is the difference with the icelink 1.1 and the icelink plus?
i'm a little confused about the compatibility section.
i have a 2000ci standard stereo. looks like this will work.
i'm buying an X3
if I get the standard radio then this will work.
if i get the premium package, then i'll need the DSP converter right?
or does the X3 have the 3pin and coax mentioned?

thanks

ice>Link 1.1 is no longer available, we are only offering the ice>Link Plus.

BMW has 2 versions of Premium sound, one with a digitial conneciton and one without. You may or may not need the DSP converter - it will all depend if you have the coxial cable in place or not. You will need to look at your connections beforehand.

bredi
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm doing a build to order system. So I don't have the car yet. I can choose satelite prep or premium or not.
I would like the premium sound, but havn't been quoted it because I want the iPod Adapter. How can I find out about the connections?
X3 3.0
Date Manufactured?

thanks

ice>Link 1.1 is no longer available, we are only offering the ice>Link Plus.

BMW has 2 versions of Premium sound, one with a digitial conneciton and one without. You may or may not need the DSP converter - it will all depend if you have the coxial cable in place or not. You will need to look at your connections beforehand.

tom@densionusa
02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm doing a build to order system. So I don't have the car yet. I can choose satelite prep or premium or not.
I would like the premium sound, but havn't been quoted it because I want the iPod Adapter. How can I find out about the connections?
X3 3.0
Date Manufactured?

thanks

Regardless whether you opt for Digital or Analog DSP - we can provide a kit for you. Choose what you want in your X3 when it is ordered.

Here is a link to more information for the BMW ice>Link Plus:

http://www.densionusa.com/forum/Product_Catalogue_BMW.pdf

wineguy330zhp
03-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Regardless whether you opt for Digital or Analog DSP - we can provide a kit for you. Choose what you want in your X3 when it is ordered.

Here is a link to more information for the BMW ice>Link Plus:

http://www.densionusa.com/forum/Product_Catalogue_BMW.pdf

Hi Tom,

I've been following this forum and thread closely. Just got a new 330, iPod mini and ordering the Sirius kit. Looks like you're the only game in town to get the iPod working with Sirius. My question is...how difficult is it to install? Am I correct that Icelink can be installed in a) the trunk [running a cable to the front seats for the iPod], or b) connection behind the radio...

I'm new to this and don't want to tear up my interior...can you offer any general guidance as to how to/how hard it is to install in the trunk (with Sirius) and run the cable to the front? Do you guys sell out of any retail shops that would be able to do the installations?

Looks like a great product...

Thanks...

wineguy330zhp

tom@densionusa
03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm new to this and don't want to tear up my interior...can you offer any general guidance as to how to/how hard it is to install in the trunk (with Sirius) and run the cable to the front? Do you guys sell out of any retail shops that would be able to do the installations?

Looks like a great product...

Thanks...

wineguy330zhp

I can do better than that, hopefully - this is acceptable with the mods:

Dension USA BMW Supplement Catalogue

This is our first of many supplements for our lineup, we're starting with the BMW. Our catalogue is 14 pages and describes in detail all the features pertaining to the ice>Link Plus and your BMW.

We have an ice>Link Plus kit for all flavors of BMW, fully compatible with the following:

Navigation
Harmon Kardon Premium Sound
Digital Sound Processing
Bluetooth
Sirius
BMW Assist

ice>Link Plus BMW Supplement/Catalogue: http://densionusa.com/forum/Product_Catalogue_BMW.pdf
[860kb, 14 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ID3v2 Text Configuration Files [Currently in Beta]

If you wish to display ID3v2 text on your factory Business CD Radio or Navigation display (who wouldn't?), you will need to load these files to enable ID3v2 display on your BMW's radio

ice>Link Plus ID3v2 Text Support Files:http://www.densionusa.com/forum/ID3V2/TextConfigFiles.zip

ice>Link Plus User's/Installation Guides

Installation of the ice>Link Plus is relatively simple and generally takes about 90 minutes to install. The instructions included with the ice>Link Plus are intended for users with moderate experience with their BMW's audio system.

The intention of these installation supplements are to show, from start to finish how to install the ice>Link Plus in your BMW.

ice>Link Plus User's Guide: http://www.densionusa.com/images/install_guides/icelink_users_manual.pdf
[335kb, 20 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus R17 Radio Interface Kit Installation Instructions: http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs/ice_Link/I20BMWR170305_inst.pdf
[861kb, 9 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus Trunk Interface Kit Installation Instructions: http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs/ice_Link/I20BMWT0305_inst.pdf
[736kb, 7 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus Private/Mobile Installation

For those seeking installation, I offer personal mobile or in-house installation as well as private one-on-one instruction of the ice>Link Plus and its features on your BMW in the Southern California area. Get your ice>Link Plus installed and configured by the originators of the product.

For more details on installation and to make an appointment, please email me directly at tom@densionusa.com.

wineguy330zhp
03-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I can do better than that, hopefully - this is acceptable with the mods:

Dension USA BMW Supplement Catalogue

This is our first of many supplements for our lineup, we're starting with the BMW. Our catalogue is 14 pages and describes in detail all the features pertaining to the ice>Link Plus and your BMW.

We have an ice>Link Plus kit for all flavors of BMW, fully compatible with the following:

Navigation
Harmon Kardon Premium Sound
Digital Sound Processing
Bluetooth
Sirius
BMW Assist

ice>Link Plus BMW Supplement/Catalogue: http://densionusa.com/forum/Product_Catalogue_BMW.pdf
[860kb, 14 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ID3v2 Text Configuration Files [Currently in Beta]

If you wish to display ID3v2 text on your factory Business CD Radio or Navigation display (who wouldn't?), you will need to load these files to enable ID3v2 display on your BMW's radio

ice>Link Plus ID3v2 Text Support Files:http://www.densionusa.com/forum/ID3V2/TextConfigFiles.zip

ice>Link Plus User's/Installation Guides

Installation of the ice>Link Plus is relatively simple and generally takes about 90 minutes to install. The instructions included with the ice>Link Plus are intended for users with moderate experience with their BMW's audio system.

The intention of these installation supplements are to show, from start to finish how to install the ice>Link Plus in your BMW.

ice>Link Plus User's Guide: http://www.densionusa.com/images/install_guides/icelink_users_manual.pdf
[335kb, 20 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus R17 Radio Interface Kit Installation Instructions: http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs/ice_Link/I20BMWR170305_inst.pdf
[861kb, 9 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus Trunk Interface Kit Installation Instructions: http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs/ice_Link/I20BMWT0305_inst.pdf
[736kb, 7 pages] Requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or later to view

ice>Link Plus Private/Mobile Installation

For those seeking installation, I offer personal mobile or in-house installation as well as private one-on-one instruction of the ice>Link Plus and its features on your BMW in the Southern California area. Get your ice>Link Plus installed and configured by the originators of the product.

For more details on installation and to make an appointment, please email me directly at tom@densionusa.com.

Perfect! Thank you! One last question...do I have to have the Sirius installed first for the Icelink or can the Sirius version of Icelink also work w/o Sirious? In other words, can I but the Sirius Icelink and add Sirius later. My dealer doesn't have Sirius in stock (and it didn't seem like they expected too many of them).

Thanks again.

wineguy330zhp

tom@densionusa
03-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Perfect! Thank you! One last question...do I have to have the Sirius installed first for the Icelink or can the Sirius version of Icelink also work w/o Sirious? In other words, can I but the Sirius Icelink and add Sirius later. My dealer doesn't have Sirius in stock (and it didn't seem like they expected too many of them).

Thanks again.

wineguy330zhp

The Sirius verison requires the Sirius interface to work correctly (hence the name).

I would recommend ordering the Trunk interface kit for now and just ordering the Sirius cable from us later when Sirius is installed.

lbalk
03-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I started this thread completely confused. I have since had the Sirius installed and the ice link Plus. The bottom line. It works and it works well. In fact I was told that it works better than even the BMW interface works. Apparently the IPOD when using the BMW kit is blank, when using the Dension you get song information on the Ipod display.

My chose to have mine installed at the car dealership, they were open minded about it and did a great job. The fact is, it was easy to install- You only had to plug a cable into the back of the Sirius unit and extend it to where the IPOD was to be used. Here is where using a company as Dension made the difference, I apparently had a defective unit, according to the dealer it worked for 10 minutes and then simply stopped. In the beginning, I was not sure if it was an Ice Link problem or an install problem. It was a little slow to coordinate getting someone from Dension on the phone with the dealer, mostly because of the time difference but when I did the support was excellent and Denison shipped a new interface unit which I installed my self in less than 2 minutes. Once installed it worked perfectly, I have not had a chance to play with the menu or customization yet but the bottom line is --it works.

I would however, like to point out I am not completely happy with the BMW interface for the Sirius, I think they could have done a much better job. For the cost of the Sirius and the Ice link, I may have been batter off replacing the entire radio. The primary problem is with the station selection, you have three groups of 6 channels to preset for a total of 18. The problem is there is no way to block out the channels you will never listen to and with over 100 selections it would be nice to easily scroll through the channels you like and direct select a channel by entering a number.

Bottom line is if you want to use the BMW radio and Sirius and you want an IPOD get the Dension unit, even if you donít get the Sirius unit and want an IPOD get the Dension unit because it is nicer than the BMW IPOD unit. The people at Dension are easy to work with and very helpful as well as my dealer. The problem is with whoever designed the interface for the BMW radio.

weinschela
03-07-2005, 06:58 AM
I started this thread completely confused. I have since had the Sirius installed and the ice link Plus. The bottom line. It works and it works well. In fact I was told that it works better than even the BMW interface works. Apparently the IPOD when using the BMW kit is blank, when using the Dension you get song information on the Ipod display.

My chose to have mine installed at the car dealership, they were open minded about it and did a great job. The fact is, it was easy to install- You only had to plug a cable into the back of the Sirius unit and extend it to where the IPOD was to be used. Here is where using a company as Dension made the difference, I apparently had a defective unit, according to the dealer it worked for 10 minutes and then simply stopped. In the beginning, I was not sure if it was an Ice Link problem or an install problem. It was a little slow to coordinate getting someone from Dension on the phone with the dealer, mostly because of the time difference but when I did the support was excellent and Denison shipped a new interface unit which I installed my self in less than 2 minutes. Once installed it worked perfectly, I have not had a chance to play with the menu or customization yet but the bottom line is --it works.

I would however, like to point out I am not completely happy with the BMW interface for the Sirius, I think they could have done a much better job. For the cost of the Sirius and the Ice link, I may have been batter off replacing the entire radio. The primary problem is with the station selection, you have three groups of 6 channels to preset for a total of 18. The problem is there is no way to block out the channels you will never listen to and with over 100 selections it would be nice to easily scroll through the channels you like and direct select a channel by entering a number.

Bottom line is if you want to use the BMW radio and Sirius and you want an IPOD get the Dension unit, even if you donít get the Sirius unit and want an IPOD get the Dension unit because it is nicer than the BMW IPOD unit. The people at Dension are easy to work with and very helpful as well as my dealer. The problem is with whoever designed the interface for the BMW radio.

First, thank you very much for the informative posts. Its really helpful. Can you please also post exactly which Dension unit you purchased. In two weeks I am going to face the same issues -- but I think I will skip the satellite and simply connect Ice-Link to the CD changer hookup. Thanks again.

tom@densionusa
03-07-2005, 12:16 PM
First, thank you very much for the informative posts. Its really helpful. Can you please also post exactly which Dension unit you purchased. In two weeks I am going to face the same issues -- but I think I will skip the satellite and simply connect Ice-Link to the CD changer hookup. Thanks again.

Our part number is I20-BMW-T for the trunk interface kit, feel free to contact me directly at 562.595.5153 x115 to verify the correct kit if you want to place the order over the phone rather than the web.