PDA

View Full Version : Sport Package or No Sport Package

bredi
02-13-2005, 12:52 AM
I test drove a sport package 3.0 auto and loved the handeling....
untill i got on rougher roads! it was like there were no shocks!
It was way to stiff on bumps.
i then test drove a 2.5 manual sport package and it was much better!
I then test drove a 3.0 without sport. if rolled too much for me.
i'm used to my 328ci. (i know these are apples and oranges, and don't get me wrong, i was totaly impressed how the "SAV" handled. Which is why i'm even considering buying one).

i want to order a 3.0 manual, but can't live with the sport suspension of the 3.0 auto.
I'd also have to drive 1000 miles for the nearest sport/manual combo.

do you think the heavier transmission (auto) and engine made the 3.0 feel much stiffer?

i want the sport seats, wheel and rims, but not the stiffness of the 3.0 auto.

In an ideal scenario, I'd like something in between. not so extreme as the sport, say an "active package". more like how the 2.5 sport felt.

anyone get the sport package? are you happy? unhappy with the everyday ride?

tonymey
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
There has been lots of discussion about the sports suspension, it's a personal preference, I dislike the sport suspension for everyday and I got the base one. Check this tread out from roadfy. Lot of info here. :dunno:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e83/6278848-1.html

Also check out this review , great stuff:

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_BMW_X3&ReviewID=1688

540x3
02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone looked into replacing the sports springs w/ the non-sport factory springs? I really like the sports package seats, steering wheel, and rims, but like the ride of the non-sport?

philippek
02-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I test drove a sport package 3.0 auto and loved the handeling....
untill i got on rougher roads! it was like there were no shocks!
It was way to stiff on bumps.
i then test drove a 2.5 manual sport package and it was much better!

Based on what you're saying I think the difference in ride can attributed to the wheel/tire combination. The suspension set-up should be the same between the 2.5 sport and 3.0 sport, regardless of transmission.

540x3
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Based on what you're saying I think the difference in ride can attributed to the wheel/tire combination. The suspension set-up should be the same between the 2.5 sport and 3.0 sport, regardless of transmission.

I am comparing a 3.0 non-sport to a 3.0 sport.

Test_Engineer
03-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know the ACTUAL differences between the sport and normal suspension spec of the X3 3.0l. I have found that the tire, springs, stabalizer bars and shock tuning is all different, but can't find any hard numbers comparing them. I'm curious about the actual spring rates and stabilizer diameters and what kind of changes were made to the shock absorbers. I've looked in a lot of places, but can't seem to find anything. Some car companies publish this info in the service manuals, but BMW manuals are difficult to get ahold of. Any help on this would be great.