PDA

View Full Version : 8" crack in leatherette

little<><
02-14-2005, 06:37 AM
I have a 3 year old E46 with leatherette sports seats (heated seats, but rarely turned on). I noticed yesterday the Left side cheek bolster, on the side facing my pants, not the side facing the door/manual controls for the seat there is a 8" crack in the leatherette. It is smack in the middle of the material, running length wise front to back on the seat bolster, not near a seam where it is sewn.

Any recommendations, is this something that can be repaired, or even replaced (or recovered) under warrenty (I know, a long shot)? Is the seat easy enought to take apart to work on, rather than trying to work on it in the car?

It is pretty sad when the leatherette in a car where I have kept the interior immaculate in, developes a large crack, when my cheap second (or even third) hand Hyundai Excel or Honda Civic vinyl seats that saw every type of box, bag, and in some instances (back in my band / roadie days) all sorts of evil looking equipement placed on them never let out a wimper!

Desertnate
02-14-2005, 06:58 AM
I believe you can replace the pannels individually. At least that is what I was told when investigating how to replace a pannel on the upper left side bolster I have worn down from getting into the car. I think one of the LeatherZ guys offered the part numbers. Your dealership parts department or someone with ETK should be able to provide those numbers.

I too have been rather dissapointed with the life span of the 'ette. My issue is the shift boot has a couple small cracks where the material buntches together. :(

alpinewhite325i
02-14-2005, 04:18 PM
This is the first complaint about the longevity of the 'ette that I recall reading.

After 4 years and 45,xxx, my 'ette looks brand new. I have two boys that beat up the back seat pretty good, and it's in excellent shape.

I have used the Lexol Vinyl Protectant...but not sure that did too much.

Hifters
02-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I had small cracks on the driver's seat leatherette. The dealer replaced the bottom seat cover under warrenty.

Dean

little<><
02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Looks like it is off to the dealership for a visit.

drmwvr
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Looks like it is off to the dealership for a visit.

Strange, I had an '97 Audi A4 with 'ette that looked almost brand new when I sold it two years ago; I liked it so much that I ordered my '03 325i with it. :dunno:

Let us know how the dealership visit goes.

Aknatar
02-16-2005, 09:44 AM
I had small cracks on the driver's seat leatherette. The dealer replaced the bottom seat cover under warrenty.

Dean

same here, right bolster crack pretty badly within one year of owning my 330ci, dealer replaced it with no issues

Kaz
02-16-2005, 09:49 AM
:confused: I know leather cracks with age and poor maintenance, but vinyl?

I'm glad cloth can't crack.

Desertnate
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
:confused: I know leather cracks with age and poor maintenance, but vinyl?

I'm glad cloth can't crack.

You're lucky. I wish I knew about the cloth "hidden option" when I ordered my car. I loved the 'ette at first and still like it better than leather, but given the choice I would go either a split leather/cloth option ala M3, alcantra, or total cloth. I'm through with cars totaly covered in hides...real or fake.

How does your shift boot look?

My seats look great, but as I mentioned before I have some small cracks/splits/holes at the point of some of the deep pits where the material bunches together.

Kaz
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM

Hmm, I dunno. I haven't peeked inside the box for a while.

I'm actually using ZHP boots.

alpinewhite325i
02-16-2005, 04:58 PM
You're lucky. I wish I knew about the cloth "hidden option" when I ordered my car. I loved the 'ette at first and still like it better than leather, but given the choice I would go either a split leather/cloth option ala M3, alcantra, or total cloth. I'm through with cars totaly covered in hides...real or fake.

My seats look great, but as I mentioned before I have some small cracks/splits/holes at the point of some of the deep pits where the material bunches together.
There's nothing like fake hides when you have kids!