PDA

View Full Version : clear bra

Aknatar
02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
what does the installer do to prepare the painted surface for clear bra application?

should I do anything on my own before I take it to the installer?

Three20FivexiT
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I think he/she sprays alcohol, or some kind of cleaning chemical, on the area to be "plasticized." The only thing you should do is wash the car prior to the appointment. If there's anything I hate, it's shops washing cars for you. I don't mind BMW because they know who I am and what my expectations are, but some of those shops....you can never be so sure. If it's dirty or dusty and they rub up against it, it causes those nasty scuffs. If your car is a dark color, wash it. You'll be glad that you did.

MarcZHP
02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I think he/she sprays alcohol, or some kind of cleaning chemical, on the area to be "plasticized." The only thing you should do is wash the car prior to the appointment. If there's anything I hate, it's shops washing cars for you. I don't mind BMW because they know who I am and what my expectations are, but some of those shops....you can never be so sure. If it's dirty or dusty and they rub up against it, it causes those nasty scuffs. If your car is a dark color, wash it. You'll be glad that you did.

I just got mine done, and they F'd up the passenger side headlight - has a crease, and like the leading edge of the hood is buggered up, like he melted the plastic cause it wasnt laying right over the seam. Unacceptable, and I'm demanding its redone. Every other part came out nice.

acey
02-16-2005, 07:38 AM
what does the installer do to prepare the painted surface for clear bra application?

should I do anything on my own before I take it to the installer?

My installer cleaned the area with a car soap and then a degreaser. After that, she clayed the car to remove any particles in the paint.

jerrykdc
02-16-2005, 08:01 AM
I was considering doing it but I got some very high prices unless I drove to North Carolina.

Aknatar
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
My installer cleaned the area with a car soap and then a degreaser. After that, she clayed the car to remove any particles in the paint.

that's awesome, she seems pretty thorough, is she married? :angel:

MonsterRain
02-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I just got mine done, and they F'd up the passenger side headlight - has a crease, and like the leading edge of the hood is buggered up, like he melted the plastic cause it wasnt laying right over the seam. Unacceptable, and I'm demanding its redone. Every other part came out nice.
I'm gonna get one put on as well...did you get this done at a dealer? If not, did you save enough money to make it worth your while to go to somewhere else?

MarcZHP
02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm gonna get one put on as well...did you get this done at a dealer? If not, did you save enough money to make it worth your while to go to somewhere else?

I had it done by Autoband. I'll get you some more info later...

pseto
02-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Don't get it done at the dealer, they don't have the expertise, plus it'll probably cost more.
Just like most other things, you'll wanna call around and shop. Some use different products that vary in thickness, some have a different process of installing (i.e. wrapping edges), and some prep the car differently (not everyone clays after handwash and alcohol). Also, make sure they use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to seal the edges when install is complete.

acey
02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
that's awesome, she seems pretty thorough, is she married? :angel:

Yes, she is very thorough and yes, she is married.

Aknatar
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM

acey, where is your installer located in PA, I'm in new jersey, zip code 07733. Also, how much did the install/bra run you?