PDA

View Full Version : X3 Premium Sound System

jdeday
02-15-2005, 10:05 AM
I took delivery of my X3 on Saturday and it has the optional Premium Sound System, where could I find specifics about this system such as:

Total watts
Number of speakers
Size of speakers
Sub woofers

Also, what is DSP?

The stereo does sounds great!

Jeff

iChick
02-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Also, what is DSP?

Digital Signal Processing

x3man
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
DSP is digital signal processing as mentioned. It basically allows for more equalization control while the signal is digital including some effects like making the music sound like it was in a concert hall. As implemented by BMW, it's just a gimmick.

I would also like info on the rest of the system too.

beowulf777
02-16-2005, 07:56 AM
DSP is digital signal processing as mentioned. It basically allows for more equalization control while the signal is digital including some effects like making the music sound like it was in a concert hall. As implemented by BMW, it's just a gimmick.

I would also like info on the rest of the system too.

Why is it "just a gimmick"?

dherzfeld
02-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I enjoy music from classical to jazz to classic rock (sorry - no rap), sometimes at concert level volumes. I've always tried to by the big engine and the top of the line sound system in my vehicles. What is the general opinion of the X3 premium sound? As I understand it, you get sub-woofers and associated increased amplification, along with DSP. What else?

pipo
02-17-2005, 02:50 PM
The premium sound system gets a B/B+ in my opinion. It starts to get congested at high volumes, and the system tends to sound harsh generally, particularly on less than stellar quality CDs.

I find the DSP to be almost useless, except on poor quality rock recordings, where the DSP Rock setting tends to bring out the dynamics of the music. Otherwise, the DSP Rock setting introduces an annoying reverb that is especially noticeable on voices. The other DSP settings are basically useless.

There is one adjustment that I found significantly improved the dynamic impact of the music and seemed to even out the frequency response of the system: move the front/ rear setting several notches to the rear. The improvement is not subtle.