PDA

View Full Version : X3 Newbie Questions

weinschela
02-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I don't see answers to these questions in prior threads. My apologies if they are repetitive.
I have an X3 3.0 (premium, nav) coming, and have two simple questions:

1. UGDO. The threads here have been about a universal transmitter in the rearview mirro, and it seems like a plug and play. But the BMWUSA website lists a universal transmitter that looks like it is in the headliner panel (as it was in E39s). Are there two ways to do universal transmitter on X3? Is the headliner unit installable by someone reasonably competent in such stuff (me)(I did it on my E39 and it was pretty simple)?

2. The car I'm getting was not ordered with either iPod or auxiliary input. Given the limitations of the iPod interface, I'm inclined to do the auxiliary input. But I'm not quite sure what you get for the $40.00 -- is it just a cable? I have to assume that there is an input in the head unit and a male-male stereo cord can be connected, and that this is pretty simple too? Is that correct? BTW, does the iPod integration even work if you have the premium package?

Dealer is clueless. Wanted to charge $595 for iPod connector or $595 for "Accessories Jack". The they said the prices were negotiable, but I'd just as soon buy the parts and do it myself if feasible. Thanks

sfca-325i
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
My dealer installed the aux input for $150.

Intallation instructions (http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/ucrewx5/pdf/E39_E53_E83AuxPortInstallInst.pdf)

X3 starts on page 8.

weinschela
04-12-2005, 05:51 AM
My dealer installed the aux input for $150.

Intallation instructions (http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/ucrewx5/pdf/E39_E53_E83AuxPortInstallInst.pdf)

X3 starts on page 8.
Can you please repost the install instructions. They're not accessible on search. I just got the auxilairy port but the instructions don't cover x3.

M-PIRE
04-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I installed my Aux kit myself. Took about 2 hours. Of course I had the X5 instructions, so I pulled the entire dash apart for no reason, but looking back it could probably be done in about an hour with no problems.

I took step by step photos if you would like them. If I were to do it again, I'd mount the aux input in the ashtray instead of the glovebox.

Send me a PM if you want the pics. I'll zip them up and post them to my website for you to download.

mysticbluex3
04-22-2005, 08:12 AM
I had the dealer install the ipod for me for free as a condition of my purchase and I absolutely love it. It does have it short comings like not being able to display artist and song titles (MB ipod integration actualy shows song info btw). However the big up side between the ipod adapter and the aux input is that with the ipod adapter you can control the ipod thru the controls on the steering wheel or radio while the ipod is sitting safely in your glove box. You can also create 5 differen't playlists. With the AUX you would have to control everything thru your ipod. Is that worth paying $300 for ipod adapter vs. $150 for aux cable? that is up to you.

mysticbluex3
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Oh yeah, I also have i-pod installation instructions if you want to buy the parts for $150 and install it yourself. My co-worker quoted some dealers on the ipod install and some wanted to charge him $300 for labor.

wingrove
04-23-2005, 07:58 PM
mysticbluex3, can you post or email the insructions? love to explore the DIY option there too.
cheers
jas

Aaron325iT
04-23-2005, 09:08 PM
mysticbluex3, can you post or email the insructions? love to explore the DIY option there too.
cheers
jas

X3 World (http://www.x3world.com) has info, including someone who posted their install with photos, plus the official BMW instructions.

Since the 2005 head unit plays MP3s right off CDs I haven't bothered re-installing the Ipod in the X3. I had the aux input in my '03 325i...took me about 1.5 hrs to install. Looks exactly the same set-up as the X3 aux-in. Biggest pain was taking out and re-installing the glovebox. I couldn't be bothered taking out the aux-in before trading the 325i in. The E46 aux doesn't fit the X3 anyway. Overall quite easy to install however.

I also bought the flashlight 12v socket adapter so i had the aux-in plugged into a Belkin adapter all neatly stuffed in the glovebox. Ipod sat outside in a holder so I could see the display while driving. Other good part was the flashlight socket is switched with the ignition, unlike the other outlets.

adc
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Have you guys considered the Dension ICELink Plus?

http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm

It displays the ID3 tags and controls via the steering wheel buttons. :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

wingrove
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
yep i think thats the way to go. i think theyll be more friendly for tech help for self installs. bmw your on your own
j