PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding a scratch out?

Bobby 325i
02-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding wet sanding a scratch after touch up paint. When I'm ready to wet sand, should I just use water for sanding or should I mix up water/soap for lubrication when sanding. By the way this is not going to be on the bimmer, my work van ('05 Ford) was scratched up by NYC sanitation while it was parked on the street a few days ago on Staten Island.

Any help is appreciated!

Bobby

bren
02-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Water is all you need. Just be careful it will cut through paint very quickly (water actually makes the sand paper cut more than sanding dry.)

For best results soak the paper for a while in the water before using and be sure to use some sort of sanding block so as not to sand finger lines into the paint.

Bobby 325i
02-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Water is all you need. Just be careful it will cut through paint very quickly (water actually makes the sand paper cut more than sanding dry.)
Yes, I realize that it will cut quickly and I will be extra careful. I figure I have nothing to lose since this is a work vehicle and I know that it will get beaten up from work and such.

Thanks for the quick reply, bren. Also, I will be using 2000 grit sand paper. Hopefully all turns out ok

A Perfect Shine
02-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Not sure if you have one but your probably going to want a machine to polish out the sanding marks because doing it by hand will take a very long time.